Liberal Protests

B-Man

Just now, SectionC3 said:

The officers and the looters, etc., all are wrong here.  The issue is the attempt to identify an equivalency between the acts.  

Based on what I’ve seen, George Floyd’s death isn’t a murder.   But it could well be a manslaughter.  The wrongful taking of a life is infinitely worse than the inexcusable acts of thievery, destruction of property, looting, etc. that have occurred.  They don’t belong in the same conversation.  The looters absolutely are disgraceful and wrong.  But that’s a conversation to be had separate from the police brutality issue that we unfortunately have to again grapple with as a society. 

Correct, they are all wrong. I don't believe anyone is equating the taking of a human life with arson or theft. You can condemn all those behaviors in the same sentence without it being some sort of statement on the equivalency of the acts.

I don't believe it is murder either. Probably 2nd degree manslaughter in Minnesota - although not sure about their specific homicide laws.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Link?

To extrapolate the actions of specific individuals into how people in an entire profession think, what motivates their behaviors, or that they outright condone this type of behavior is beyond ridiculous.

Why didn't the 3 officers who held George Floyd down stop the fourth officer from kneeling on his neck?

Just now, Motorin' said:

Why didn't the 3 officers who held George Floyd down stop the fourth officer from kneeling on his neck?

I'm sure they have been, or will be, asked that very question. How is that relevant to how the other 800,000 or so law enforcement officers in this country think, are motivated, or view this kind of behavior? 

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

They're supposed to according to my friend.  He's a cop and said that they have situations where the other officer will take over.  Tell the first officer to take a 5 and cool off.  It happens a lot because of the adrenaline but your fellow officers are supposed to help if they see you in a situation like this.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Only a moron just accuses someone of something just because you are a frustrated idiot. Buzz off, if you can understand that 

Lol, you are stupid. Seriously 

What are you talking about?  I honestly am trying to understand what you are saying.  You said, something to the effect of, "if he's charged".  That indicates a high level of uncertainty/corruption rooted in a racism.  That type of language riles people up, contributes to a narrative, and is at best, premature.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Correct, they are all wrong. I don't believe anyone is equating the taking of a human life with arson or theft. You can condemn all those behaviors in the same sentence without it being some sort of statement on the equivalency of the acts.

I don't believe it is murder either. Probably 2nd degree manslaughter in Minnesota - although not sure about their specific homicide laws.

I don’t know the Minn laws either, but I share your suspicion that man 2 would be in order if the crime occurred in NYS.  An aggressive prosecutor might hit him with murder 2 under intentional and depraved indifference theories in NYS and use man 2 as a backup if neither of the top counts sticks.  This is the type of case that has the potential to be overcharged, so who knows.  

10 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

This is definitely sobering. Hard to believe this is happening in America

No kidding.  2020 is on fire.  Just when you think it can’t get any crazier, it does. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm sure they have been, or will be, asked that very question. How is that relevant to how the other 800,000 or so law enforcement officers in this country think, are motivated, or view this kind of behavior? 

You really don't think there's pressure to stand with fellow officers even when they're wrong and have been numerous examples of people being ruined for testifying against fellow officers? 

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

You really don't think there's pressure to stand with fellow officers even when they're wrong and have been numerous examples of people being ruined for testifying against fellow officers? 

You really think the actions of four people speaks to the opinions/attitudes/beliefs of many thousands? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

I think it is human nature to stand with someone you know and like when they do something wrong, no matter the profession. But there are distinctions and limits. There is no general pressure, as a law enforcement officer, to stand by and allow a fellow officer to cause the death of somebody. None. If it occurs in a specific situation, it is driven by the dynamics of that situation and those involved.

I really cannot tell you why the other officers did not intervene. I could only see two officers in the video. My guess, if you are interested, is that, as it was transpiring, the gravity of the situation really didn't register with them. It is easier to see in hindsight.

As for officers lives being ruined for testifying against fellow officers, if it happens, it is a rarity - particularly in a situation where an officer's actions were reckless or intentional and resulted in someone's death.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

In this case, it was pretty egregious and the other officers should have stepped in.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In this case, it was pretty egregious and the other officers should have stepped in.  

There's video footage that actually shows the 'other' officers.  Two of them are down at Floyd's feet, also trying to constrain him.  The fourth is standing at Floyd's head doing nothing. I'm guessing that Floyd was aggressively resisting arrest, but it still doesn't excuse the officer from kneeling on his throat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

‘Don’t forget the gas can!’ Guess who’s off to fan the flames in Minneapolis today

worst-idea-ive-ever-heard_new.jpg

Hey, you know what Minneapolis needs right now to calm things down?       Al Sharpton.

Said no one ever.

But he’s going there anyway:

Perhaps he can remind us all again that what happened to poor Tawana Brawley was real, and that a Grand Jury just "saw it differently" 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Update: From the Associated Press.

Fire crews responded to about 30 intentionally set blazes during the protests, including at least 16 structure fires, and multiple fire trucks were damaged by rocks and other projectiles, the fire department said. No one was hurt by the blazes.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think it is human nature to stand with someone you know and like when they do something wrong, no matter the profession. But there are distinctions and limits. There is no general pressure, as a law enforcement officer, to stand by and allow a fellow officer to cause the death of somebody. None. If it occurs in a specific situation, it is driven by the dynamics of that situation and those involved.

I really cannot tell you why the other officers did not intervene. I could only see two officers in the video. My guess, if you are interested, is that, as it was transpiring, the gravity of the situation really didn't register with them. It is easier to see in hindsight.

As for officers lives being ruined for testifying against fellow officers, if it happens, it is a rarity - particularly in a situation where an officer's actions were reckless or intentional and resulted in someone's death.

I’m not at all defending any of the officers.  From what the video shows, this was egregious, despicable, and utterly inexcusable.  My guess is that crowd control probably was part of the calculus.  I’m sure we’ll learn more in the days and weeks to come. 

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

There's video footage that actually shows the 'other' officers.  Two of them are down at Floyd's feet, also trying to constrain him.  The fourth is standing at Floyd's head doing nothing. I'm guessing that Floyd was aggressively resisting arrest, but it still doesn't excuse the officer from kneeling on his throat.

I have never been a cop but how hard it is to maintain control of a guy that is cuffed on his belly? I am sorry but I see no defense at all for what that cop did and he should be charged.

• Like (+1) 2

CAN WE BE SUED? 

When asked that question by countless reporters and editors, I reply that “any idiot can file a lawsuit. Filing a winning one is another story.”

Here’s a case of a moronic lawsuit brought by some Seattle SJW’s who thought it was a novel idea to claim that Fox News should be treated like a defective product. The Washington state group known as the Washington League for Increased Transparency and Ethics, or WASHLITE, filed a suit in Superior Court of Washington State in April, calling for an injunction that would keep Fox News from “publishing further and false and deceptive content” about the coronavirus pandemic. The law has rejected this kind of idiocy multiple times, and I have litigated (and won) this issue before. Ideas can be wrong, but not “defective.” Here’s an example of one such case that explains it nicely.

Fortunately, the court gets it right, quoting precedent in its ruling dismissing the case:

“If there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable.”

You don’t like Fox? Great, change the channel.

You scared it will “teach” people the “wrong” ideas? That’s the most condescending, paternalistic elitism of the worst kind.

by Charles Glasser

38 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Update: From the Associated Press.

Fire crews responded to about 30 intentionally set blazes during the protests, including at least 16 structure fires, and multiple fire trucks were damaged by rocks and other projectiles, the fire department said. No one was hurt by the blazes.

....The Ferguson Aftermath....$4.6 million of destruction....the solution, right?.....good Lord.......

The following buildings burned completely or have been deemed unsafe (ST LOUIS BUSINESS JOURNAL):

Dellwood:

Juanita's Fashions R Boutique, at 9844 West Florissant Ave. (burned, appraised value: $120,300)

O'Reilly Auto Parts, at 9811 West Florissant Ave. (burned, appraised value: $420,700)

Hunan Chop Suey, at 9806 West Florissant Ave. (burned, appraised value: $29,400)

Title Max, at 9814 West Florissant Ave. (burned, appraised value: $139,900)

Conoco Gas Station, at 10280 West Florissant Ave. (burned, appraised value: $98,100)

AutoZone, at 9947 West Florissant Ave. (burned, appraised value: $116,800)

Advance Auto Parts, at 9846 West Florissant Ave. (burned, appraised value: $400,200)

Prime Beauty Supply, at 1475 Chambers Road (burned, appraised value: $292,700)

Ferguson:

St. Louis Fish and Chicken, at 200 North Florissant Road (deemed unsafe, appraised value: $70,800)

Little Caesars Pizza, at 220 North Florissant Road (deemed unsafe, appraised value: $6,500)

Hidden Treasures, at 220 North Florissant Road (deemed unsafe, located on same property as Little Caesars Pizza)

JC Wireless, at 9161 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, appraised value: $391,100)

Beauty Town Plus, at 9163 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, located on same property as JC Wireless)

Synergy Counseling Service, at 9167 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, located on same property as JC Wireless)

A Better Choice Home Health Agency, at 9169 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, located on same property as JC Wireless)

#HealSTL, at 9171 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, located on same property as JC Wireless)

Yellow Diamond Boutique, at 9181 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, appraised value: $674,400)

Clip Appeal, at 9183 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, located on same property as Yellow Diamond Boutique)

Crystal Nails, at 9185 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, located on same property as Yellow Diamond Boutique)

Daba Hair Braiding, at 9189 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, located on same property as Yellow Diamond Boutique)

Public Storage, at 9291 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, appraised value: $696,600)

BJ's Grill-Licious Backyard BBQ, at 9300 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, appraised value: $113,600)

McDonald's, at 9131 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, appraised value: $734,200)

Sam's Meat Market and More, at 9241 West Florissant Ave. (deemed unsafe, appraised value: $217,000)

Family Dollar Store, at 10809 New Halls Ferry Road (deemed unsafe, appraised value: $102,300)

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m not at all defending any of the officers.  From what the video shows, this was egregious, despicable, and utterly inexcusable.  My guess is that crowd control probably was part of the calculus.  I’m sure we’ll learn more in the days and weeks to come. 

Yeah, not defending them either. Just acknowledging there are a lot of variables involved with respect to the other officers (primarily the two officers at Floyd's feet). To me, Chauvin, the one with his knee on FLoyd's neck, and Thao, the one standing, are the officers whose complete (Chauvin) or primary (Thao) focus was on Floyd . They should have recognized the seriousness of FLoyd's complaints.

But, we have to begin with the fact that there was absolutely no need for Chauvin to even apply that kind of force at all - much less for eight minutes. Floyd was down, handcuffed, and didn't represent any kind of a threat. From the time he was arrested and handcuffed, I never saw anything in Floyd's behavior, on the various videos to warrant what Chauvin was doing.

I have already read that both Chauvin and Thao had histories of complaints and each had been sued. Thao's lawsuit included particularly brutal accusations and was settled out of court. Don't know the details of any of the complaints, so, I don't want to speculate too much.

However, my initial sense of it is that it is less about race and more about the characters of Chauvin and Thao. Just a feeling.

Like you said, we will be learning a whole lot more.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s what I can’t figure out as well.

He is in handcuffs, how many Officers does it take to keep a guy down with his hands behind his back?  

Marietta City Cops have been required to train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about a year.  
Im not saying that it should be required everywhere but they need to be trained better in restraining a guy.  It shouldn’t take two guys on the legs and one on the neck to keep a handcuffed guy down.  It’s embarrassing IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yeah, not defending them either. Just acknowledging there are a lot of variables involved with respect to the other officers (primarily the two officers at Floyd's feet). To me, Chauvin, the one with his knee on FLoyd's neck, and Thao, the one standing, are the officers whose complete (Chauvin) or primary (Thao) focus was on Floyd . They should have recognized the seriousness of FLoyd's complaints.

But, we have to begin with the fact that there was absolutely no need for Chauvin to even apply that kind of force at all - much less for eight minutes. Floyd was down, handcuffed, and didn't represent any kind of a threat. From the time he was arrested and handcuffed, I never saw anything in Floyd's behavior, on the various videos to warrant what Chauvin was doing.

I have already read that both Chauvin and Thao had histories of complaints and each had been sued. Thao's lawsuit included particularly brutal accusations and was settled out of court. Don't know the details of any of the complaints, so, I don't want to speculate too much.

However, my initial sense of it is that it is less about race and more about the characters of Chauvin and Thao. Just a feeling.

Like you said, we will be learning a whole lot more.

...I would think there is a ton of prosecutorial due diligence to be done, collaborating local, state and federal officials to get this right.....perhaps our fine TBD counsel Koko78 can weigh in......I'm guessing that an extensive review of the evidence is necessary to bring proper charges to fit the crime....and charges ARE forthcoming.......the damage of a flimsy case being presented to a jury with loopholes could or would lead to FAR worse civil unrest consequences.....not that it would make a damn bit of difference to the "looters" with a different purpose IMO.....

Well, investigations will be done and final judgement reserved for now but after looking at the 5 minute video many have seen, those cops look to be in deep *****.  Can't see a reason why the officer knelt on George Floyd's neck for such a long period of time. 

Just now, keepthefaith said:

Well, investigations will be done and final judgement reserved for now but after looking at the 5 minute video many have seen, those cops look to be in deep *****.  Can't see a reason why the officer knelt on George Floyd's neck for such a long period of time. 

...there is NO reason IMO........and why the other three in attendance did not step in is more puzzling...BUT they sealed their complicity......perhaps aiding and abetting  in a felony, hate crime or worse..but the riots and looting?......are we back to the 60's?......

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I would think there is a ton of prosecutorial due diligence to be done, collaborating local, state and federal officials to get this right.....perhaps our fine TBD counsel Koko78 can weigh in......I'm guessing that an extensive review of the evidence is necessary to bring proper charges to fit the crime....and charges ARE forthcoming.......the damage of a flimsy case being presented to a jury with loopholes could or would lead to FAR worse civil unrest consequences.....not that it would make a damn bit of difference to the "looters" with a different purpose IMO.....

Things are often more complicated than they seem on the surface. I agree, charges are likely to be coming. However, they need to be the right charges, against the right officers, and need to be based on the facts and the law.

• Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I haven’t read it but a friend of me told me that he heard Floyd was basically lifeless at the 4 minute mark....meaning the Officer kept his knee on for almost another 4 minutes.  How did he not feel Floyd go limp?  It’s extremely easy to know when they are out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Things are often more complicated than they seem on the surface. I agree, charges are likely to be coming. However, they need to be the right charges, against the right officers, and need to be based on the facts and the law.

....DEAD ON my friend........dot your "i's" and cross you "t's" in something as high profile, which it should be, as this.......time is necessary to get it right....BUT.......rest assured "professional rioters" are being bussed in as we speak......back in 2015 when I was commuting to Cleveland after my late wife's double lung transplant, there was a police trial involving officers and an African American juvenile death...hotels were besieged with bus load reservations and declined them when it became obvious.....probably Soros Travel and Terrorism funded for social upheaval......

• Like (+1) 1

VERY GOOD NEWS............

Peaceful Black Protesters Shut Down Antifa After They Tried to Get Violent In Minnesota

The violent group, known as “Antifa,” can often be found wherever a protest is happening, attempting to escalate the anger of protesters, encourage destruction, and often engages in violence. Since the protests in Minnesota over the unjust killing of George Floyd happened, you can bet Antifa has shown up.

However, a group of actual black protesters isn’t letting them get violent.

Standing in front of a police precinct, Townhall’s Julio Rosas arrived just in time to watch a black man speaking to a group of people. According to reports, the crowd that had gathered outside the police precinct was, for the most part, peaceful. White members of Antifa, however, began to attempt to do what they do and begin escalating the situation with violence.

Before it got anywhere, a black man spoke up and addressed the crowd.

He assured people that they aren’t trying to shut down anyone’s speech, but they weren’t going to allow anyone to start getting violent, understanding that if that started, the black members of the crowd would get the bulk of the response.

“We’re going to keep our social distance, and we’re not going to allow somebody in the crowd to throw some bulls**t and then we feel the bulk of that,” said the man. “We’re not allowing that no more. That’s the reality of what we’re dealing with right now.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...there is NO reason IMO........and why the other three in attendance did not step in is more puzzling...BUT they sealed their complicity......perhaps aiding and abetting  in a felony, hate crime or worse..but the riots and looting?......are we back to the 60's?......

If it is determined to be murder, all 4 should be sent up the river.  If you're out with your friends and one of them kills someone and you didn't stop it, you're going to the big house for murder.

What's good for the goose ...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

If it is determined to be murder, all 4 should be sent up the river.  If you're out with your friends and one of them kills someone and you didn't stop it, you're going to the big house for murder.

...I'm a dumb layperson, but it sure does seems the other three were complicit because they never intervened......

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Accessories, yes. 

I expect it to happen. There's really no one defending the actions of those four. I haven't seen anyone, even the "far right" agitators on twitter who normally would have condemned them. 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Accessories, yes. 

I expect it to happen. There's really no one defending the actions of those four. I haven't seen anyone, even the "far right" agitators on twitter who normally would have condemned them. 

I don't know.  I'm not a lawyer but I have seen enough episodes of the First 48 and Joe Kenda to know if you are involved in a criminal enterprise (kneeling on a guy's neck til he dies) and you don't stop it, you are as guilty of murder as the trigger man (knee man).

Edited by reddogblitz

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have never been a cop but how hard it is to maintain control of a guy that is cuffed on his belly? I am sorry but I see no defense at all for what that cop did and he should be charged.

I think that’s what I just said!