In your opinion, what decade was NFL football at its best?

dpberr

No matter your age, you can answer this question. As a football fan, what decade of the NFL did you find it to be at its best? Best could be defined a variety of ways - the decade you found it the most entertaining or the one where you felt most invested.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The turn of the century was the pinnacle of football. Nineteen aught six saw the introduction of the forward pass, the return of the Harvard v Yale series after a 12 year hiatus following the 'Bloodbath of Hampden Park' ( a match noted for ungentlemanly conduct, in which all participants behaved no better than the most boorish Princeton grad. Even the chimney sweeps were rumored to have blushed that day), and such colorful figures as Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson, William "Pudge" Humperdinger, Ted "Yeasty Bottom" Smuttercup, and the indomitable Leslie "Sprinkle breasts" McBeef. The 1900s was certainly the golden age of American football.

You know guys I see this as no right answer, but not jsut because of the Bills, the 90's were exciting. My reasons are that we came off two strikes in the 80's in 82 and 87. We had the very beginning of free agency in 1993, yes the Bills were awesome, but we had the advent of a lot more teams making the SB.

Remember in the 70's and 80's the same damn teams went every year and if you weren't a fan of the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Vikings, and so on in the 70's, you were always out. The same in the 80's, but the 90's became fun. Not just the Bills, but we saw the Chargers, Falcons, Packers came back to competition, in addition to the Cowboys. Anyone could get in the dance, and the games were exciting, but the rules had not changed so much for offense, the defenses could still dominate.

yes, the homer in me loved our Kelly days, but i also loved seeing the defense of the Bills in the late 90's with Paup, Spielman, Big Teddy, and so on. It was hard to see Kelly go off on the cart in 96. I remember that newspaper cover the next day with Kelly's look post concussion, but Flutie brought life back into the team.

So my vote is the 90's. I loved all of the decades, and because I was born in 1967, i never saw "Lookie, Lookie, here comes Cookie". I'm sure it was awesome to follow them to my brethren 10 more years older than me.

Rather than decade per se, I'll go with a ten year period split between two decades. Nothing could, arguably, beat the mid-50 thru mid-60 period. Having had the great fortune to see so many of Jim Brown's games on the tube (in Buffalo since Cleveland was the closest NFL franchise) and many of Johnny Unitas' during that period, nothing can compare. In my mind, they were to two finest players in NFL history, which makes that 10 year stretch unbeatable.

Best on the field football: the 1990's. The rules on holding and interference weren't so onerous then. It was the era of a "balanced run and passing attack," which I find more interesting than the pass happy NFL, facilitated by fussy holding/interference rules that often times seem arbitrary and poorly enforced.

(OTH, the freakish speed and athleticism of today's players is amazing and fun to watch)

Best off the field football fan experience: the last 10 years. Social media (message boards, twitter, et al.) make much more information available, faster info emergence, and access to multiple opinions and interpretations of it.

Corollary to today's fan experience: it's 1985 your source of information are the beat reporters of the one newspaper and maybe a few television/radio stations. The analysis and discussion you have with the limited information is with the same two winos you see every night at Al's Gin Mill in Lackawanna.

Would it be criminal to pick the 80s?

I had lots of fun in the 80's, not as much as the 90's though, being at the 51-3 AFC Championship game getting stared down by Howie Long from our Howiiiiiiie chant, never leaving miracle come back game, Joe Montana's last football play getting concused by Bruce Smith right in front of me and I in my Bruce jersey and the Jags playoff game where Jim Kelly took a very cheap forearm to the head right in front of me for his last play ever.

Growing up in the 70s, it's hard to ague that this wasn't the best era. Super fun team in Pittsburg. Great runs from Oakland, Miami and San Diego. Orange Crush in Denver. Great team in Dallas. Sad time for the Bills though

Rather than decade per se, I'll go with a ten year period split between two decades. Nothing could, arguably, beat the mid-50 thru mid-60 period. Having had the great fortune to see so many of Jim Brown's games on the tube (in Buffalo since Cleveland was the closest NFL franchise) and many of Johnny Unitas' during that period, nothing can compare. In my mind, they were to two finest players in NFL history, which makes that 10 year stretch unbeatable.

totally agree.. hands down.. and being very young when the Bills came into existence in 1960, seals the deal as far as answering the OP question. going to real live games at the rockpile.. cookie, kemp.. actual championships. case closed! .. (IMHO)

This brings up one very valid point:

The Bills never won the Super Bowl when it actually meant something.

Winning now has pretty much become "waiting your turn," in this day and age of parity and rule changes.

If the Bills win now, it'll be ho-hum, if you ask me. They missed their chance to be legitimate champions and I think that really sucks.

This brings up one very valid point:

The Bills never won the Super Bowl when it actually meant something.

Winning now has pretty much become "waiting your turn," in this day and age of parity and rule changes.

If the Bills win now, it'll be ho-hum, if you ask me. They missed their chance to be legitimate champions and I think that really sucks.

:lol:

Come on man, you think Pissburgh or New England fans are complaining?