Bills "frustrated" with Incognito contract demands*SIGNED*

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evan Mathis is the best comparison to Richie in my mind and last year he over played his hand. He was offered and turned down a 5.5 million deal to play for a contender. He was a pro bowler and 2nd ranked pff og. So that is starting rate for Richie. Add in that he has several off field issues and I have to think the Bills are pushing for the 4 million a year range. Richie probably wants closer to that 5.5. I want them to keep RI but do NOT under any circumstance want to keep him at 5.5 for 3 or so years. Neither of those numbers are good for the Bills.

I was thinking something close to that. Bills in the $5M per and RI in the $6M per areas. What would you say to something like a 3 year deal with a $5M signing bonus, and salaries of $1M, $5M and $6M with only the first year salary guaranteed? The Bills could be out from under that in two years for $11M and the cap hit from the signing bonus would be spread over three years. First year cap hit would be $2.67M.

Edited by BarleyNY

I was thinking something close to that. Bills in the $5M per and RI in the $6M per areas. What would you say to something like a 3 year deal with a $5M signing bonus, and salaries of $1M, $5M and $6M with only the first year salary guaranteed? The Bills could be out from under that in two years for $11M and the cap hit from the signing bonus would be spread over three years. First year cap hit would be $2.67M.

I actually like the way you've structured that very much. My guess is that they're much further apart than 1M per.

Update

Buffalo Football Report Exclusive: Richie Incognito and the Buffalo Bills are close to a new deal.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1647976-bfr-exclusive-billsincognito-close-deal

shall we look at post #230 for reference.

How could the Bills in good conscious leave that gaping hole

That's not ACTUALLY true.

There are plenty of instances where the Bills have gone easy on players they should have cut or at least forced to take payouts but have cut them slack for one reason or another.

We used to assume in those instances that those players had compromising pictures of Ralph.

A most recent example was Eric Wood.

He was just plain bad in 2013 and 2014.

He deserved a serious paycut and he basically acknowledged that he was not playing well and was afraid he'd be cut because he was making so much coin.

But they didn't force a paycut on him.

Then enter Greg Roman with a new scheme that put them on the move/attack mode versus the physically superior DL they are up against.......and an inside pressure neutralizing mobile QB in Tyrod that put he and Incognito in positions to excel and..........surprise!........they both maxed out in 2015.

I do think it's reasonable for RI to accept discounted deal. I'm not counting on it, but the argument that the Bills are a cut-throat operation that shows no mercy is not correct. Ask Chris Kelsay. :lol:

lol.

So eric musta chipped in for a Cogs deal as i mentioned he should

On the wrong side of thirty, could care less if he returns. Not interested in seeing the Bills hand over a 33 old guard big money when guard is one the easiest position on the line to find a replacement. Alex Boone is younger and would be a much better investment.

yay

Florio is useless because he tweets everything teams and agents leak to him without any basic double checking of his facts.... so you want to get something out there to strengthen your hand in negotiations - leak it to Florio.

and he has background in the legal system so he has that going for him!

So we were frustrated on tuesday, close on wednesday, and now we're back to frustrated?

you do get it !

Yea, good luck to this scouting dept replacing an all-pro LG like Incognito in the draft after the first round. Anyone else recall what this team tried to replace an above-average OG in Andy Levite with?

Five mill for Chris Williams to play 3 games. Colin Brown cut after 6 six games and after the team watched him play in some real games. Doug Legursky as backup center who needed to start at OG was released the next off-season. Sam Young another dud at OG. Lots of fans singing the praises of John Miller in the pre-season and until he actually played. Erik Pears at RG was the worst idea ever!!

Not resigning Incognito will have a far more reaching effect for the entire line then just losing one player. It will hinder both the run game and Tyrod's development and also make both players on either side revert back to what they looked like in 2013-2014 or worse if they think Cyril Richardson will fill that role.

simple as that

Not defending Kornheiser (didn't see the segment), but I do agree that no player owes their team anything when they reach free agency. This is a league without guaranteed contracts; teams don't have loyalty beyond the season, why should players? As others have pointed out, it's Richie's last chance for a payday in UFA and he missed two prime earning years already. He should do what's best for Richie -- but I think that is coming back to the Bills which I still expect to happen.

No players do not get guaranteed contracts but they often get huge bonuses when they sign and then hold out from training camp, games, etc. We had a linemen get a new contract and refuse to go to camp and finally was cut and a few months later he got another contract. We had a WR who was medically cleared but then went AWOL and team never tried to get back part of his signing bonus. There are players who retire and have to brought to court every year to get portion of bonus prepaid when it was all paid at once when contract is signed.

No guaranteed contracts is NOT the whole story.

That's not ACTUALLY true.

There are plenty of instances where the Bills have gone easy on players they should have cut or at least forced to take payouts but have cut them slack for one reason or another.

We used to assume in those instances that those players had compromising pictures of Ralph.

Some may joked about it but only idiots thought they had compromising pictures of Ralph.

Pay Richie at market. He's a good Bill.

Except a) we were the only team willing to take a chance on him and b) most teams won't even be willing to make an offer based on his past. I say let him hit the market so he can see that nobody is willing to pay a believed bully and racist who is in his 30's a big contract

Except a) we were the only team willing to take a chance on him and b) most teams won't even be willing to make an offer based on his past. I say let him hit the market so he can see that nobody is willing to pay a believed bully and racist who is in his 30's a big contract

Boy how wrong you will be if he hits the market.

Except that not only did he keep his mouth shut and do his job all season, he managed to stay pretty much penalty free while playing at a pro bowl level. Pro bowl OG's are at a premium and will command top dollar and yes, even at age 30.

The reason Evan Mathis didn't do so well after he left the Eagles is because he was graded as more of a finesse zone blocking OG player for that team. The thing is though was Mathis was 33 years old when he signed a deal with the Broncos that would pay him as much as 4 mill with incentives and he pretty much did that while being the #1 blocking OG in the league last year. The real reason he didn't take a job right away was because he turned down an offer for 5.5 mill from another team as he wanted to play for a contender... he got his championship ring!

Just an FYI that Richie Incognito was graded as the best overall OG in the league last year by the same people who graded Evans as the best run blocker. Logan Mankins (age 33) is the top paid OG at 8.5 mill per and Andy Levitre is 29 years old and the #4 paid OG at 7.8 mill per! Incognito is a hell of a lot better than Levitre IMO.

Richie may have 2 or 3 good years left , pay him, it gives a QB a chance to succeed . The Bills have higher priority draft needs with little cap room for FAs.

Don't jerk him around, a poor attitude like Mario had is even worse.

Edited by ALF

I was worried about this. We got a discount on him last year and we were rewarded for it with Pro Bowl play. He doesn't owe us anything more. Expecting to get him for less than market value was a pipe dream.

Plus this will probably be his last good contract so he is going for it & i can't say as i blame him ...

Pay the man !!

that wasn't pretty......i gotta go back and watch that on NFL Rewind and try to figure out how that wasn't ritchie's fault.....lol

he had a bad game which he readily admitted. It wasn't just him, though. The Iggles moved Cox around and I think he beat every one on our OL at one time or another. They had no answer for him. They also got called for holding repeatedly when trying to block him. It was strange considering that the week before they had schemed so effectively against JJ watt. I thought they would do the same for Cox with the season he had been having especially in the few games leading up to that... But, nope.