Should the Bills tag Glenn?

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should Glenn be tagged if no long term deal is reached?

• Yes, exclusive rights tag
    • Yes, non-exclusive tag
    • Yes, transitional tag
    • No, but continue to try to sign him long term
    • No, let him walk

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the tag idea. It doesn't commit long term resources. Get one more year out of him. He has to continue to perform for the next big contract. These guys never hold out anymore. Still draft an OT in the top two rounds.

Then rework Mario's contract to lower the salary number for this year.

LT don't grow on trees. You have to tag the guy which is why they are willing to do it.Let's hope his ageent is reasonable and sweeten the deal with more guaranteed money but lower overall hit per year. Basically more goes in to the first three years, and he is on a year by year after that.

Excellent LT's last a while. There's always exceptions.

I like the tag idea. It doesn't commit long term resources. Get one more year out of him. He has to continue to perform for the next big contract. These guys never hold out anymore. Still draft an OT in the top two rounds.

Then rework Mario's contract to lower the salary number for this year.

I'm just the opposite on this. Cut Mario's ass ASAP and negotiate a long term extension with Glenn.

Timing is interning . Could be the sides are far apart don't so the Bills leak out the tag is coming.

Glenn gambling on 20 million of guarenteed money by playing on the tag. Jpp wishes he took the deal I bet

Bills advantage is that it buys them another year , maybe a tackle falls into their lap on draft day . They can take the ten million next year and invest in other assets

Edited by baskingridgebillsfan

Best case scenario for the team is to sign him long term. Get that done and his signing bonus will not count against the cap this year. It would be huge. Problem is, LTs don't grow on trees and he is due a big pay day. Guys like that generally test FA.

@mikerodak
Franchising Cordy Glenn would cost Bills $13.7M. Clay restructure and Mario savings ~= $20M. Would need more space to make run at Incognito

This is exactly why the Bills would prefer to get him signed long term. The cap savings to sign other players like Icognito.

Timing is interning . Could be the sides are far apart don't so the Bills leak out the tag is coming.

Glenn gambling on 20 million of guarenteed money by playing on the tag. Jpp wishes he took the deal I bet

Bills advantage is that it buys them another year , maybe a tackle falls into their lap on draft day . They can take the ten million next year and invest in other assets

You're over thinking this( i think, typos???) Tag if need be, buys time to sign to a long term deal and tear up the tag. I'm confident Glenn will sign a long term deal with the Bills.

@rapsheet

#Bills expected to franchise tag LT Cordy Glenn if they can't work out a long-term deal by March 1, sources say. Unlikely to hit the market

Let's hope the deal gets done before that date.

You're over thinking this( i think, typos???) Tag if need be, buys time to sign to a long term deal and tear up the tag. I'm confident Glenn will sign a long term deal with the Bills.

True. But the tag would mean the his entire pay this year comes out of the cap. This year is about trying to stay under the cap. Can't do that without offering guaranteed money up front in the form of a signing bonus.

Edited by Rockinon

#1- cordy will not sign early unless bills blow him away by setting a new market high. it's in his best interest to test FA. durable LT's in their prime are rare.

#2 - yes tag, but the non exclusive. if the offer to match is too much, take the 2 first round picks as compensation.

still feel same way

I am going to say again. This is a player Bills drafted. The mantra has been build through the draft.

Bills need to find some way to keep Glenn. He has been quiet, kept his head down and worked his tail off Even under adversity.

Been through enough coaching changes and had to play with crap next to him till this past season.

Bills MUST keep Cogs and Glenn!!

and that is all i have to say about that.

His agent, Pat Dye Jr. (SportsTrust Advisors), is the same player as Kyle Williams so it is likely that they will be reasonable unlike a couple of son of bastards who believe that holding out as long as possible to being tagged is best option,

http://www.sportstrust.com/client-roster/

ugh all that money....and that's the website design? woof

Let's hope the deal gets done before that date.

True. But the tag would mean the his entire pay this year comes out of the cap. This year is about trying to stay under the cap. Can't do that without offering guaranteed money up front in the form of a signing bonus.

My point was to tag and negotiate a deal starting this season.

Edited by klos63

also, I'm sure most know this, but until he signs the franchise tag it doesn't impact the Bills cap. They can keep working on the extension until 7/15. It isn't like 13.5 hits the cap March 1.

Sorry but incorrect.

You're right it doesn't hit the cap March 1st. It hits the cap at the start of the new year on March 9th and stays there until either he signs a new deal or the tag is withdrawn.

The Bills should do anything they can to retain Glenn. The best option would be to sign him long term but if push comes to shove they need to use the franchise tag on him. Below is a link with my thoughts on the matter.

http://buffalowdown.com/2016/02/17/should-the-buffalo-bills-franchise-tag-cordy-glenn/

Just saying they'd have the same cap figure if Mario plays his 5th year at 13.9M or if we tag Glenn at 13.5M... I think Mario is the more valuable player.

Again I know I'm in the minority on that... Just not thinking Glenn is a top 5 LT really ever, and I think Mario has been a top 5 DE and might have a year or two left in him. I think the Jason Peters deal may have jaded us, but if we can Transition Tag and get a 1st Rd pick out of it I'd be for that.

I just don't see Glenn as elite is the main point... Mario has shown the ability to be elite... just needs some kind of motivation... and who knows what motivates him... It's frustrating but still would rather have him if deciding how to spend the ~14 Million this year

Actually in Rex D Mario doesn't fit his System. Mario was lined up in 5tech which calls for space eating blocks in the 2 gap scheme and u dont pay players 13 plus mil to eat blocks. U can add another player to do the same job for 3mil per . With that being said if Mario excepts a reduced deal at his cap hit and still collects the 7-8 mil of dead money then i'm all for it essentially he would be playing for free based on the cap structure.

When it comes to who's more valuable its no doubt Cordy playing LT in G-Ro system its imperative to know the system and G-Ro was surprised with the way his line adjusted to his system so quickly. G-Ro expected the line to fully grasp the system in yr 2 but now that there ahead we need to keep everyone in place to add to his blocking schemes so the continuity is very important here . Franchising Cordy gives us all the leverage in negotiations. Why would we want to give that up?

Lastly there's the Tyrod factor at play here the Bills front office wants to give Tyrod every chance to succeed going into his last yr of his contract and by letting his starting LT leave we could be potentially creating a major hole on our oline therefore possibly stunting the growth of Tyrod. We need to be able to have a accurate view of his development so we know where to go in negotiations with Taylor.

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers