Should the Bills tag Glenn?

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should Glenn be tagged if no long term deal is reached?

• Yes, exclusive rights tag
    • Yes, non-exclusive tag
    • Yes, transitional tag
    • No, but continue to try to sign him long term
    • No, let him walk

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He only took two steps if he was extra-motivated on the play. One step or less if he was sulking.

GO BILLS!!!

From you even!

It would make sense to me, intuitively, if they agree to deals in principle with guys like Richie and Glenn before making their roster moves. If they can do so, they'll know exactly what needs to be done prior to March 9th.

I would wager that certain guys (i.e. Kyle Williams, maybe Corey Graham as well) hang in the balance.

Lets think contract re work. Love Corey, love Leo major crush on Kyle. But these guys must know, its going to be about money.

boobie is gone and Mario too.

But the glenn richie deals need to be sown up

It allows the market to identify Glenn's value if the two sides can't agree. However you could find yourself in a Charles Clay type of situation.

You do not get any compensation under the transition tag. That would be the non exclusive franchise tag.

Oh, my bad. That is the TAG I thought I was referring to.

From you even!

Lets think contract re work. Love Corey, love Leo major crush on Kyle. But these guys must know, its going to be about money.

boobie is gone and Mario too.

But the glenn richie deals need to be sown up

Agreed

I don't think I'd put Glenn at "elite" but if you allow him his down year in 2014 (and I think we all should knowing that he had major invasive surgery just before the season and missed camp) he is solidly a top 10 left tackle who has a lot of his best football ahead of him at 26 and I agree there is no way the Bills should let him walk. I was never in the crowd who thought getting him for $9-10 million was likely. I have always thought we were looking $11.5m a year up. I was in favour of letting Levitre and Byrd walk rather than throwing big money at them.... but left tackle of the 6 most important positions on a football team in my estimation and if you have to pay maybe the 7th or 8th best LT in the league top 3 LT money to keep him then you do it. Another thing that should be factored into that is Glenn has hardly missed any games. He has been durable and probably played in pain in 2014.

The Bills are mad if they let him go.

That's it. Agreed.

From you even!

Sad, isn't it? From one of his most ardent defenders around here from the moment he signed, to his biggest critic. But I don't apologize. He broke the code and must be banished from the land.

And he has to leave the fridge!

GO BILLS!!!

If Glenn likes Kromer and Roman for coaches, and is doing well next to Richie and Wood no reason not to sign long term. He would get a fair offer here. The tag is ok just to keep talking for long term contract.

Regarding Glenn, PFF notes that the 26-year-old was their tenth-best graded offensive tackle in the NFL in 2015, giving him credit for continually improving as a pass blocker throughout his career.
Edited by ALF

Sad, isn't it? From one of his most ardent defenders around here from the moment he signed, to his biggest critic. But I don't apologize. He broke the code and must be banished from the land.

And he has to leave the fridge!

GO BILLS!!!

No need to apologise, you have maintained the appropriate value system!!

I say he takes the Elitist fridge.

Level the locker room again.

GO BILLS!

I think Beerball will agree with me on this that it's alot of money to protect another EJ clone

Don't forget what traumatized EJM.

A line that let him get the snot beat out of him.

I dont care who is passing the ball, protect the laundry back there and open up some running lanes is how you win games

Everyone on this website is always trying to prove themselves the ultimate football intellect by telling everyone how important the offensive line is. Well now we have an elite player at the most important position on the offensive line and some of those very same people appear to be undervaluing him. You pay the guy whatever it takes. Period, end of story. Tag him, pay him now, whatever. As long as he continues to wear a Bills uniform.

I agree with the theme of this post, but I would not say that Glenn is an "elite" LT, and I am surprised to see that you do.

That said, how would the Bills replace him? As we all know, LTs are scooped up early in the draft and we pick 19th. Not only that, our situation at RT is bleak, and I'm being kind. The hated Pears was actually better at RT than anyone who lined up there last year. Sad but true.

The truth is that they need to draft OTs AND keep Glenn whether through a contract or tag. My guess? Rex and Whaley will focus on the secondary and continue to lead this team off the cliff.

I agree with the theme of this post, but I would not say that Glenn is an "elite" LT, and I am surprised to see that you do.

That said, how would the Bills replace him? As we all know, LTs are scooped up early in the draft and we pick 19th. Not only that, our situation at RT is bleak, and I'm being kind. The hated Pears was actually better at RT than anyone who lined up there last year. Sad but true.

The truth is that they need to draft OTs AND keep Glenn whether through a contract or tag. My guess? Rex and Whaley will focus on the secondary and continue to lead this team off the cliff.

Bill my friend, they've done nothing of the sort.

Since 2014, Whaley's first year as GM, they've drafted an OLmen with one of their first 2 picks in each draft. They also signed a starting guard in FA last year.

By contrast, they signed one defensive back in FA (Graham) and drafted Darby.

Bill my friend, they've done nothing of the sort.

Since 2014, Whaley's first year as GM, they've drafted an OLmen with one of their first 2 picks in each draft. They also signed a starting guard in FA last year.

By contrast, they signed one defensive back in FA (Graham) and drafted Darby.

How many dbs did Rex draft first with the Jets, let alone the money allocated to UFA dbs, and how did it all work out?

I hope I am wrong but I have seen the Bills go this way time and again, no?

How many dbs did Rex draft first with the Jets, let alone the money allocated to UFA dbs, and how did it all work out?

I hope I am wrong but I have seen the Bills go this way time and again, no?

Mostly with regard to the Levy/Jauron years, yeah. Since that regime was bounced, their prioritizing of the position generally falls in line with the rest of the league.

As to Rex's time in NJ, yes, they drafted DBs in the 1st round 3 times in 6 years. The defense also finished in the top 8 (in terms of yards allowed) 5 out of those 6 years, so something was working.

If you're looking at the top picks during that time, they tended to prioritize the front 7 just as much, with 1st round picks spent on Wilkerson, Coples, and Richardson.

Regardless, I don't think we have a strong enough sample space to predict how Rex/Whaley will prioritize their resources this offseason (except to say that they'll want to keep their own FAs more than anything else).

I do think that--if one team weakness has to give--it will be RT. Why? Because they showed last year that they can produce a solid running game and big plays in the passing game with below-average play at the position. I don't think they'll disregard it as an area that they need to improve, but I do think it'll fall behind other areas that didn't produce last season (i.e. edge defender, NT, ILB, safety, #2 WR).

I do think that--if one team weakness has to give--it will be RT. Why? Because they showed last year that they can produce a solid running game and big plays in the passing game with below-average play at the position. I don't think they'll disregard it as an area that they need to improve, but I do think it'll fall behind other areas that didn't produce last season (i.e. edge defender, NT, ILB, safety, #2 WR).

I agree. I think that OT will be a late round draft pick and/or a vet minimum stab at a free agent that signs after even the "dust settles" guys get signed.

My expectations for how they will try to tackle their major needs are:

- Defensive tackle -draft one in the first 3 rounds

- Edge rusher - draft one in the first 3 rounds

- #2 Receiver - draft one in the first 3 rounds

- Inside Linebacker - dust settles free agent

- Safety - dust settles free agent or late round draft pick

- Offensive tackle - 4th round or later draft pick and/or vet minimum FA

Mostly with regard to the Levy/Jauron years, yeah. Since that regime was bounced, their prioritizing of the position generally falls in line with the rest of the league.

As to Rex's time in NJ, yes, they drafted DBs in the 1st round 3 times in 6 years. The defense also finished in the top 8 (in terms of yards allowed) 5 out of those 6 years, so something was working.

If you're looking at the top picks during that time, they tended to prioritize the front 7 just as much, with 1st round picks spent on Wilkerson, Coples, and Richardson.

Regardless, I don't think we have a strong enough sample space to predict how Rex/Whaley will prioritize their resources this offseason (except to say that they'll want to keep their own FAs more than anything else).

The RT position is rapidly growing in importance. Props to Kelly the Dog for predicting it would many years ago.

Pass rushers line up all over the place now, and you can't put a stiff (like we do) at the RT position. Last year we actually had Kujo and that rookie lined up at the same time.

A strong RT would REALLY help this team, as would improvement at RG.

The RT position is rapidly growing in importance. Props to Kelly the Dog for predicting it would many years ago.

Pass rushers line up all over the place now, and you can't put a stiff (like we do) at the RT position. Last year we actually had Kujo and that rookie lined up at the same time.

A strong RT would REALLY help this team, as would improvement at RG.

I would love to upgrade RT, but it's not nearly the premium position that other spots like safety and pass rusher are in the grand scheme of things.

The top 4 teams in the NFL all had stiffs at the RT position...save for maybe Mike Remmers in Carolina. I'd call him borderline average.

Very, very few teams invest picks or money in RTs. And in general, those teams still have poor OL play.

For me, it's not about not wanting to upgrade at every possible spot; it's about what that brings to the team. The RT position didn't hold them back last year, even with a group of relative stiffs.

Now don't get me wrong, if they do go out and get a solid RT, I'll be pleased. I don't think it'll have anywhere near the impact that a safety, pass rusher, or ILB of similar quality would.