Should the Bills tag Glenn?

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should Glenn be tagged if no long term deal is reached?

• Yes, exclusive rights tag
    • Yes, non-exclusive tag
    • Yes, transitional tag
    • No, but continue to try to sign him long term
    • No, let him walk

The RT position is rapidly growing in importance. Props to Kelly the Dog for predicting it would many years ago.

Pass rushers line up all over the place now, and you can't put a stiff (like we do) at the RT position. Last year we actually had Kujo and that rookie lined up at the same time.

A strong RT would REALLY help this team, as would improvement at RG.

Whilst I don't disagree with that.... this team cannot win with the defense playing as it did last year. You can only do that if you have a top 10 Quarterback and we don't. So I have to be honest defensive improvement would be my number 1 improvement target this season.

I think we will get improvement at right guard. A fully healthy, 2nd year John Miller will take another step for me and I would love us to be able to find a quality RT. I don't think this is that strong of a draft class at tackle either I have to say.

The top 4 teams in the NFL all had stiffs at the RT position...save for maybe Mike Remmers in Carolina. I'd call him borderline average.

I think that is being kind. He was the worst player on that offense this year. I think they were benefitting from not playing many top pass rushing teams - in that division the Saints, Buccs and Falcons are all among the worst pass rushes in the league. Denver demolished their tackles in the Superbowl... Remmers particularly so.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone see Glenn as a levitre or a byrd, where their level of play decimated after getting paid? That's one judgement that Whaley has been very solid on. I really hope this isn't the case and we need another Lt. Langston Walker and Demetrius Bell as our tackles is not something I wish to relive.

signing Glenn and Cog is imperative. The Bills led the league in rushing, with 3 different running backs with over 500 yards. Thank Cordy and Richie(and Eric) for that. Once we sign those 2, we can focus on the defense and BPA. If we lose either, we must draft replacement early, with a big opportunity cost with all the front 7 talent available.

Seeing that I'm not privy to the talks that I certainly know are happening, I could only speculate.

The OL has to be our #1 priority. It's the reason we rose in the rankings and were #1 in rushing.

I trust that Whaley and Co. understand that.

It's part of the reason but we also added good talent in the backfield, increased our credible threats in the receiving game, brought in one of the best run schemers in the league to replace an awful one, and added a fantastic line coach also known for his run scheming and player development

brought in one of the best run schemers in the league to replace an awful one, and added a fantastic line coach also known for his run scheming and player development

Yep. My view on Glenn is there for all to see, I thought Cog played really well for us too but the biggest single reason for our improvement running the ball was Greg Roman who in my view is not just one of the best but THE best run game coordinator going. Kromer's line coaching didn't hurt either and there was a noticeable jump when he returned from suspension.

Yep. My view on Glenn is there for all to see, I thought Cog played really well for us too but the biggest single reason for our improvement running the ball was Greg Roman who in my view is not just one of the best but THE best run game coordinator going. Kromer's line coaching didn't hurt either and there was a noticeable jump when he returned from suspension.

He was also New Orleans run game coordinator when they were at their most effective. Which I know many don't think of as their strength but when they won the super bowl with RBBC with Pierre Thomas, Reggie bush and Mike bell they were top ten in both yards and yards per attempt despite often grinding out against stacked fronts to close out games

Is Cordy Glenn worth the $13 plus million he'd be owed under the franchise tag? Probably not.

Is there any realistic chance of the Bills resigning Glenn prior to the start of FA? Absolutely not unless he and his agent are total dummies. The salary cap for '16 is enormous there are teams that have $70 million in cap space......that's right $70 million (jags and raiders). There are also tons of teams with $30, $40, $50, $60 million in space. FA's are going to be offered a fortune this offseason, so much so that I think it's going to shock a lot of fans.

I honestly believe Cordy Glenn and his agent can expect to see a 5 year $70 million on the open market. Remember teams have money to blow....the timing couldn't be better for Cordy.

This is why you don't trade for an over priced running back and then tear up his deal and give him even more money folks. Silly moves like those have consequences. Unless Glenn is franchised, which is a possibility, he will be one of the consequences of the asinine deal we gave Lehman McCoy.

Is Cordy Glenn worth the $13 plus million he'd be owed under the franchise tag? Probably not.

Is there any realistic chance of the Bills resigning Glenn prior to the start of FA? Absolutely not unless he and his agent are total dummies. The salary cap for '16 is enormous there are teams that have $70 million in cap space......that's right $70 million (jags and raiders). There are also tons of teams with $30, $40, $50, $60 million in space. FA's are going to be offered a fortune this offseason, so much so that I think it's going to shock a lot of fans.

I honestly believe Cordy Glenn and his agent can expect to see a 5 year $70 million on the open market. Remember teams have money to blow....the timing couldn't be better for Cordy.

This is why you don't trade for an over priced running back and then tear up his deal and give him even more money folks. Silly moves like those have consequences. Unless Glenn is franchised, which is a possibility, he will be one of the consequences of the asinine deal we gave Lesean McCoy.

Totally agree with you here. The agent would be a total dummy for Glenn to sign a contract prior to FA. Glenn has all the cards on the Bills too. Bills can't afford the tag IMO without other major consequences. OverTheCap also mentioned today that agents will be looking for 20% over market value because of salary cap increase as well. Glenn is in for a nice pay day this year.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

And good for him really. Like I said perfect timing for Glenn. He will very likely be the highest paid OT in the history of the league if he hits the open market given the flood of money in the market.

Honestly, short term it hurts the Bills. Long term though it helps them. If the Bills have shown us anything the past 15 years it's that paying top money to DT'S, OT'S, RB'S, DE'S and CB'S gets you absolutely no where if you don't have the QB. I still don't believe the Bills have a QB. I'd rather have a shot at drafting high every year to find that guy rather than living in the 7-9 win no man's land we've been in for a decade plus.

And good for him really. Like I said perfect timing for Glenn. He will very likely be the highest paid OT in the history of the league if he hits the open market given the flood of money in the market.

Honestly, short term it hurts the Bills. Long term though it helps them. If the Bills have shown us anything the past 15 years it's that paying top money to DT'S, OT'S, RB'S, DE'S and CB'S gets you absolutely no where if you don't have the QB. I still don't believe the Bills have a QB. I'd rather have a shot at drafting high every year to find that guy rather than living in the 7-9 win no man's land we've been in for a decade plus.

I don't think he will be the highest paid but I doubt the Bills will be able to afford to sign him if he hits the open market.

This is why you don't trade for an over priced running back and then tear up his deal and give him even more money folks. Silly moves like those have consequences. Unless Glenn is franchised, which is a possibility, he will be one of the consequences of the asinine deal we gave Lesean McCoy.

IMO he will be franchised. Then he won't hit the open market. Then will want a pay day instead of playing on a one year contract. Then will take approx. $30 M guaranteed and resign.

The leverage Glenn could gain will never be had. The Bills will stay on control of the situation.

He is not hitting the open market. That is the reality. The Bills will tag him and then take the longer time and work out a deal.

I am not sure he would get $14m on the open market probably closer to $13m. A little hometown discount plus the Bills giving him a higher % guaranteed than on the open market (where I do think the kidney issue would hurt him on guaranteed money) I reckon somewhere around $12-12.5m a year with around 35% guaranteed.

Edited by GunnerBill

Agreed. I'd throw in the asinine deal we gave Clay and the $6M we pissed away on Harvin as well. Tagging Glenn and trying to work out a long term deal might be the best strategy.

I don't think he will be the highest paid but I doubt the Bills will be able to afford to sign him if he hits the open market.

Get it, can't win, don't try. Seriously, we have a QB who is top 10 in a ton of categories in his first season (including most accurate on the deep throw), and that's not even worth a chance. So, let's just let a guy who by most national standards is top ten at his position (PFF for one), one of the hardest to come by in the league. Bills had one of the best seasons of any team in the last decade running over the right side. I'd be shocked if he's not considered a cornerstone. You lose him and/or Incognito and the line could be an absolute disaster.

And I'm so tired of all the crying broke here when if you actually look at it instead of whining "Bills suck," it's not as bad as it looks. Sportrac has them at 90k over the limit with the Top 51 considered, and there's so many places to save money. They're not going to be players, obviously, but Whaley's been pretty transparent; we're gonna focus on signing our own guys, and maybe one defensive signing (I'd guess Damon Harrison). As for Glenn, we should not pretend to know what's on his mind. But it's true, players always heed their agents and only seek the best money possible...that's why Jerry Hughes wound up leaving us last year after so many people here made the same arguments.

Let's just see how this plays out, why don't we? You may be right. History would suggest we sometimes sign our players, we sometimes don't. Ditto the franchise tag...we used it on Byrd a couple years ago. Based on your arguments, 13.5m is a reasonable price since he would clearly get so much more elsewhere. At very worst, tag and trade.

I agree on both counts. He definitely will not be the highest paid LT whether or not he hits FA and the Bills are unlikely to be able to compete financially if he does hit free agency. Some team will get stupid. Not highest paid LT in NFL stupid, but stupid.

I'm extremely confident Glenn will be here long term.

I know a few people think the Clay deal kills us (I don't like the Clay deal though I do like the player) but it doesn't. It makes things tricky but not impossible. Glenn, Gilmore, Watkins and if he takes the step Tyrod are the priorities over this offseason the next one and the one after that. 4 cornerstone players (if TT takes the step) at 4 key positons to add to Dareus and Hughes.

It is prefectly possible for the Bills to keep all 4. Will it be simple? No. But it is very doable. When you draft guys who become top quality players at cornerstone positions you pay them. Whaley has talked openly about how you do it you have fewer mid range contracts and that does as Bandit has said elsewhere mean you have to draft well because you will need more cheap starters and all your depth will be 1st contract guys and street FA pick ups like Wynn or Gilleslie.

Whilst I don't disagree with that.... this team cannot win with the defense playing as it did last year. You can only do that if you have a top 10 Quarterback and we don't. So I have to be honest defensive improvement would be my number 1 improvement target this season.

Sorry GB, I gotta disagree here.

I think that Rex is in the act of destroying this defense. The job is probably all but complete and the new DC, Brother Love, will help finish them off.

The offense does however show promise. I for one am fond of Tyrod. I think that he represents the future on the Bills and in this league. This of course is jmo. Give him two better blockers and a better #2 receiver and that would be a pretty sick unit. Another RB would be a good idea for insurance in case our little criminal goes up the river (which I doubt), but RBs are easy to find.

Overall, I guess I am trying to say that building the offense is our best hope. This is not my favorite brand of football mind you but again, I think that Rex has done WAY too much harm to the D and it's likely (imo) to get worse.