Should the Bills tag Glenn?

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should Glenn be tagged if no long term deal is reached?

• Yes, exclusive rights tag
    • Yes, non-exclusive tag
    • Yes, transitional tag
    • No, but continue to try to sign him long term
    • No, let him walk

Sorry GB, I gotta disagree here.

I think that Rex is in the act of destroying this defense. The job is probably all but complete and the new DC, Brother Love, will help finish them off.

The offense does however show promise. I for one am fond of Tyrod. I think that he represents the future on the Bills and in this league. This of course is jmo. Give him two better blockers and a better #2 receiver and that would be a pretty sick unit. Another RB would be a good idea for insurance in case our little criminal goes up the river (which I doubt), but RBs are easy to find.

Overall, I guess I am trying to say that building the offense is our best hope. This is not my favorite brand of football mind you but again, I think that Rex has done WAY too much harm to the D and it's likely (imo) to get worse.

I don't think we are disagreeing on too much here..... although let me say this - if Tyrod takes the step in 2016 to allow us to win double digit games with the type of insipid defense we had in 2015 then all doubt is removed and we have got our guy.

Edited by GunnerBill

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry GB, I gotta disagree here.

I think that Rex is in the act of destroying this defense. The job is probably all but complete and the new DC, Brother Love, will help finish them off.

The offense does however show promise. I for one am fond of Tyrod. I think that he represents the future on the Bills and in this league. This of course is jmo. Give him two better blockers and a better #2 receiver and that would be a pretty sick unit. Another RB would be a good idea for insurance in case our little criminal goes up the river (which I doubt), but RBs are easy to find.

Overall, I guess I am trying to say that building the offense is our best hope. This is not my favorite brand of football mind you but again, I think that Rex has done WAY too much harm to the D and it's likely (imo) to get worse.

Agreed. The offense now being average or a little above doesn't seem like the time to take our foot off the pedal, it's the time to think about what can be done to make it one of the best.

#1- cordy will not sign early unless bills blow him away by setting a new market high. it's in his best interest to test FA. durable LT's in their prime are rare.

#2 - yes tag, but the non exclusive. if the offer to match is too much, take the 2 first round picks as compensation.

#1- cordy will not sign early unless bills blow him away by setting a new market high. it's in his best interest to test FA. durable LT's in their prime are rare.

#2 - yes tag, but the non exclusive. if the offer to match is too much, take the 2 first round picks as compensation.

Any idea how much less the non-exclusive tag is than the approx. 13.5 for exclusive?

I thought it was the same - I thought it was the just the right to negotiate that was different.

Non-Exclusive Tag:

Average of the top 5 player salaries over the past five seasons

Exclusive Tag:

Average of the top 5 player salaries during the current league year.

An old Flacco article for source, so it appears there is a difference

http://russellstreetreport.com/2013/02/13/street-talk/whats-the-difference-between-exclusive-non-exclusive-franchise-tags/

Non-Exclusive Tag:

Average of the top 5 player salaries over the past five seasons

Exclusive Tag:

Average of the top 5 player salaries during the current league year.

An old Flacco article for source, so it appears there is a difference

http://russellstreetreport.com/2013/02/13/street-talk/whats-the-difference-between-exclusive-non-exclusive-franchise-tags/

Thanks. I didn't know that. I would change my vote to the non-exclusive tag then.

Edited by GunnerBill

I'm in the minority, but I think I'd rather have Mario Williams than Cordy Glenn if we have to use the tag... Same cost about 14M.

Sadly, I disagree. I recall him having a dud year under Wannstache as well, then picking up under Pettine and Schwartz as he was used differently. I can't tell you why - injury, objection to scheme and checked out, losing a step - but Mario did not produce as expected for a DE of his physical abilities. Give me a player with lesser physical abilities who is able to use them 100% and play for the team.

When he's productive, he's undeniably one of the best, but apparently whether or not he's productive is rolling the dice year to year.

Sadly, I disagree. I recall him having a dud year under Wannstache as well, then picking up under Pettine and Schwartz as he was used differently. I can't tell you why - injury, objection to scheme and checked out, losing a step - but Mario did not produce as expected for a DE of his physical abilities. Give me a player with lesser physical abilities who is able to use them 100% and play for the team.

When he's productive, he's undeniably one of the best, but apparently whether or not he's productive is rolling the dice year to year.

I agree overall but he did not have a dud year with Wannstedt. He had a slow start playing injured had a hand op at the bye and then was something like a sack per game from there on and ended wih 10.5 sacks followed by 13 and 14.5. Not a stretch to say had he started healthy he would have had at least a couple more year 1.

I reluctantly agree Mario has to go this year the way he played and his attitude last year but I do not want any rewrites of history. His first 3 years here he was the best player on this football team and behind only Watt and J. Houston on the sack list over that three year period.

IMO, you TAG Cordy to retain him. Not to get two draft picks. If we lose Cordy we will be challenged to make the playoffs. Making the playoffs is the goal not to rebuild with draft picks.

Get it, can't win, don't try. Seriously, we have a QB who is top 10 in a ton of categories in his first season (including most accurate on the deep throw), and that's not even worth a chance. So, let's just let a guy who by most national standards is top ten at his position (PFF for one), one of the hardest to come by in the league. Bills had one of the best seasons of any team in the last decade running over the right side. I'd be shocked if he's not considered a cornerstone. You lose him and/or Incognito and the line could be an absolute disaster.

And I'm so tired of all the crying broke here when if you actually look at it instead of whining "Bills suck," it's not as bad as it looks. Sportrac has them at 90k over the limit with the Top 51 considered, and there's so many places to save money. They're not going to be players, obviously, but Whaley's been pretty transparent; we're gonna focus on signing our own guys, and maybe one defensive signing (I'd guess Damon Harrison). As for Glenn, we should not pretend to know what's on his mind. But it's true, players always heed their agents and only seek the best money possible...that's why Jerry Hughes wound up leaving us last year after so many people here made the same arguments.

Let's just see how this plays out, why don't we? You may be right. History would suggest we sometimes sign our players, we sometimes don't. Ditto the franchise tag...we used it on Byrd a couple years ago. Based on your arguments, 13.5m is a reasonable price since he would clearly get so much more elsewhere. At very worst, tag and trade.

I will revisit this post after another 8-8 2016 campaign with a disaster of a head coach, and still no high draft pick to find a QB in the '17 draft and see if you feel the same way my friend. I am just as big a Bills fan as the rest, evidenced by my 15 years as a season ticket holder despite the fact that I live 7 hours drive from the stadium. That does not mean, however, that I must always maintain a postive viewpoint of the Bills despite what the results tell me every single year. I don't see a change coming in '16, like you may, that much is clear.

I also find it comical that you point out that the Bills are 90k over the salary cap with many places to save money as if this is a positive. The reality of the situation is that the Bills rank #32, dead last, in salary cap room in the NFL. So let's not even try to spin their salary cap situation as not a problem when it's the worst situation in the league. Every team has big money players they can cut to save a lot of cap room like the Bills, either way you slice it....they are last in the league in space.

Edited by Estro