McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

These cops didn't call the authorities because they knew not only would the police respond but supervisors would also have responded.

Conjecture.

If I were suffering from an orbital fracture, getting to the hospital would be my first concern. Playing cellphone tag with my supervisor at 2 AM would be low on the list of things to do.

(also, these were not patrol officers with someone on duty 24/7 to call)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conjecture.

If I were suffering from an orbital fracture, getting to the hospital would be my first concern. Playing cellphone tag with my supervisor at 2 AM would be low on the list of things to do.

Not everyone in the party was injured. There was a fight where there were injuries. If you are hurt you don't have to remain on the scene. Your first imperative is to get medical attention. The fastest way to do that is to call for an ambulance. You can go to the hospital and still have a call made. (one of them was obligated to do). In this case the parties didn't immediately seek medical attention. From my understanding that wasn't done until a later time and they didn't go to a medical facility that was close by.

I don't understand your supervisor phone tag point. You make a call and then the authorities respond, including the supervisors. If they need to go to the hospital they will.

I don't understand your point. They had the ability to call the authorities in a variety of ways. Whether they were patrol or not is irrelevant. They were sworn officers of the law.

Edited by JohnC

Comments interspersed, sorry, too lazy to multiquote.

These cops didn't call the authorities because they knew not only would the police respond but supervisors would also have responded. They knew that they were in an untenable situation that couldn't be untangled or undone.

I get this part

If none of them would have had any significant injuries they would have just left and returned back to work without saying anything. But the problem for them was some of them sustained injuries that precluded them from going back to work. They had to document their injuries with medical reports and also explain how their injuries happened. When I say explain I'm not just saying verbally. You have to make a report and it will be examined for truthfulness.

What I don't get is, given that they did have injuries, why not just bite the bullet and report it at the time so as to make the best possible case?

If an officer gets hurt off duty by getting involved in a police action odds are that the injuries will be treated as an on duty action and their sick leave will be covered.

So by filing a criminal complaint and positioning themselves as victims of assault, are they positioning themselves as a police action with covered sick leave?

Conjecture.

disagree.

on both points

i suggest this statement be removed from the records and the jury disregard the inquiry

cellphone tag? this is a big deal for these fellows lively hood. and the call is not constrained to be directed at the the Shift Seargeant. It could be anyone associated with these Officers looking to clean up a " potential" mess.

they were not patrol officers? You know this how? because of the alleged value of 4 champagne bottles?

If i was a cop and getting my butt handed to me by some dirty thugss who jumped me for no reason i would sure be calling this in.

protocol my friend.

You probably deserved it. Take your medicine!

I have taken my lumps i can assure you Brother !

Other than a few games suspension for Shady, nothing is going to come of this. Shady and crew were douche bags but not hardened criminals.

The unwise OFPD will also pay an unwritten price, as JohnC points out,

Nothing good happens after midnight.

Heck my kids laugh at me because i rarely am out after 10 pm. Midnight? i might turn into a Pumpkinlol

Conjecture.

There was a third uninjured officer who did not file a police report until two days later. Also, these things called "conjecture" create something called "reasonable doubt".

So I went out and had a few drinks at a local bar.

Start chatting up some random blonde who happens to be a policewoman.

Discussed the Shady situation with her, she stated they should have called it in immediately.

#freeshady.

pics or it didn't happen

Comments interspersed, sorry, too lazy to multiquote.

Although I got fouled up with responding to your muti-quotes I got the gist of your question. In hindsight, I'm sure the off duty cops would have taken a different course of action after seeing how things materialized. The best approach they could have taken (my opinion) was to call for the police and then let the authorities begin the process of sorting things out. The injured parties then should have gone immediately to the hospital for medical attention. They didn't do that. Because of the nature of the injuries they couldn't just walk away from the situation with minor physical and ego bruises. You have to remember their drinking exploits began at another bar so their condition was definitely impaired. I'm sure that was a factor as to why they took the course of action they took i.e. to not call the authorities and leave the scene.

I can't say for sure why they filed their criminal complaints the next day. Was sick leave and job considerations a factor? I believe it was a factor but not necessarily their primary reasons for making the criminal complaint the next day. You have to remember that some of them did get hurt. It is unfair to make the assumption that they were mostly in the wrong in precipitating the brawl. That is what is now being sorted out. I still think there is a good chance that someone in the McCoy party is going to be charged. That issue is still up in the air.

We have all been in situations that on the surface seemed relatively simple but for a variety of reasons spiraled out of control into a bigger mess. As is usually the case dealing quickly with an issue, even if you have some culpability, sooner rather than later is much better and simpler.

In my opinion what changed the dynamic of this case was the caliber of legal representation that McCoy got. The police expedited the case to the DA's office. The DA knew from the beginning that whatever was presented was going to be challenged from the facts standpoint and just as importantly from the process standpoint. That is why the DA's office is being so meticulous and judicious. A lot of things have gone wrong stemming from this chaotic incident. But the DA's office has acted smartly and with integrity.

The moral of the story is when fools to the left engage with fools to the right it's not surprising that you end up with more than you bargained for.

Not to worry. It is obvious to most that if you think a crime has been committed against you, especially if you're a cop, you should call 911 immediately. That they didn't and later decided it was a crime is a big reason why it's been 3 weeks and still no charges.

The DA doesn't base his decision to charge on whether and when the victim believes a crime was committed against them. Why would you keep repeating this? Whenever a victim reports a crime, it is investigated. Charges come or don't come based on the investigation and the strength of the evidence. There are many examples of victims who don't come forward to the police immediately after the crime is committed. You know this. You also know why the cops didn't come forward immediately--but they did ultimately press charges. So why even mention this?

The DA is hesitating because his victims will make very poor witnesses which would torpedo his case.

The DA doesn't base his decision to charge on whether and when the victim believes a crime was committed against them. Why would you keep repeating this? Whenever a victim reports a crime, it is investigated. Charges come or don't come based on the investigation and the strength of the evidence. There are many examples of victims who don't come forward to the police immediately after the crime is committed. You know this. You also know why the cops didn't come forward immediately--but they did ultimately press charges. So why even mention this?

The DA is hesitating because his victims will make very poor witnesses which would torpedo his case.

Obviously, and mostly because they didn't call it in immediately and waited for 2 days to report it. What is so hard about that to understand? And what difference is is to you if I keep repeating it? Oh wait, that's right, the "wilding" theory. Good one there.

The difference is that in this case the police department took the complaint and prematurely took it to the DA's office to have an arrest warrant issued. There was little follow-up by the department to determine the merits of the case before it brought the case forward.

The police department tried to ramrod this case through without even talking to the accused parties. That is not to say that they would have talked to the police but from what I know (or think I know) the department didn't do much investigating before going forward.

It's the DA's office that is asking the tough questions and are not up to this point satisfied with what they have heard. What the DA's office is doing now should have been done by the police department when the complaint was brought to them. By not exhibiting much objectivity and fairness after receiving the complaint the department severely diminished their credibility of the process in this case.

I want to make it clear I'm not even bringing up the issue of what happened at who is at fault. But it is fair to say and easy to say that this case was handled very poorly from the outset. Without a doubt that is going to be a significant factor on the DA's decision regarding this case.

The difference is that in this case the police department took the complaint and prematurely took it to the DA's office to have an arrest warrant issued. There was little follow-up by the department to determine the merits of the case before it brought the case forward.

The police department tried to ramrod this case through without even talking to the accused parties. That is not to say that they would have talked to the police but from what I know (or think I know) the department didn't do much investigating before going forward.

It's the DA's office that is asking the tough questions and are not up to this point satisfied with what they have heard. What the DA's office is doing now should have been done by the police department when the complaint was brought to them. By not exhibiting much objectivity and fairness after receiving the complaint the department severely diminished their credibility of the process in this case.

I want to make it clear I'm not even bringing up the issue of what happened at who is at fault. But it is fair to say and easy to say that this case was handled very poorly from the outset. Without a doubt that is going to be a significant factor on the DA's decision regarding this case.

Of this there should be no questions any longer.

would replace case with , incident.

i can imagine it has become difficult to prosecute McCoy as portrayed early on. And may now even be challenging to bring case against his alleged bottle swinging/swilling cohort.

lol : }

Edited by 3rdand12

So tell us your inside knowledge that PPD tried to push this thru. Could you be mixing PPD Police with PPD Union?

Agree. This has been handled poorly.