McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bolded part I posted way back in this thread Doc.

Brandishing a gun would mitigate the charge of aggravated assault against the perps. They might argue proportional response as the flashing of the gun may itself constitute assault by the cops.

The cop who flashed the gun may have figured that it would be his word against the 4perps as to whether he showed his gun. Waiting 2 days would thin the witness ranks, he figured.

I agree with you that they waited 2 days to thin the witness ranks. But that's because Butler started it and the others were coming to their friend's defense. Waiting just for the gun is far-fetched because a) Ayers wasn't involved, b) he flashed the gun after the fight broke out, and c) he's putting his career on the line for 2 buddies just for a payday when it's a gamble that no one would remember it 2 days later.

Edited by Doc

False. If the incident didn't involve a famous NFL player, this never would have been a story.

correct, this stuff happens worldwide like 100 times a night...every night, 200 times on weekends. its all a big yawner, except for Goodell and the NFL shield he gets paid umpteen millions per year to "protect"

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

No news. Just a weo vs doc, hopeful, johnc battle.

Boater wants justice for his brothers in blue.

Wow, you are observant of posts.

Well said re WEO v. Doc.

I only want justice. Even when negative or positive for the Bros. in Blue.

And justice for a bar fight may come across as a plate of spaghetti. Sorry.. that that's the best I could come up up with on short notice.

Edited by boater

So my friends dad is the Chief of Police a few towns over. Talked it over with him. He says it sounds like the 2 police officers are !@#$ed. Off Duty police officer was assault in a bar in his town, once the whole mess was calmed down by the bouncers, the off duty cop simply arrested the guys that hit him after calling for on duty officers. Basically told the bouncers that he was a cop, showed his badge, told them he was pressing charges and not to let the guys leave. Bouncers detained the individuals until backup arrived.

There was no reason that if the story went as the cops said it did, that McCoy and his crew would not have been jailed that night.

There are two issues here.

• Broken law and crime was the excessive force stomping of people.
  • "Reporting incidents" is PPD policy not law.

Law trumps policy every time. Some people are making false equivalencies between law and policy, as in "he reported it late, so it doesn't count."

Breaking your employers policy, not so cool, but it doesn't negate broken laws in the the same incident. And I'm not so sure the officer "late incident reporting" arguments are even applicable.

Very clear points, Boater. At least from my POV, the point about the policy and the law has been lost in the tangled spaghetti of this thread.

It's not that "he reported it late, so it doesn't count". It's that the officer's disregard of policy makes the case for a serious felony assault more difficult to argue to a jury. A clever defense lawyer will drill into the delay to cast doubt on whether trained observers present at the time (uninvolved ODPO) perceived the fight as involving "intent to cause serious injury" (because if you saw it that way your brother officer is at risk so you'd call for backup to protect your brother officer?) and use the delay in seeking medical assistance and the fact that the officers drove themselves to minimize the seriousness of their injuries (because if you're seriously injured and all blurry visioned and mentally confused, why wouldn't you call an ambulance? or at least ask your bud to drive you?)

I don't know whether and to what extent a defense lawyer would bring up violations of internal police policy, but that's probably the weak side and not the strong side of the injury done to the case.

Edited by Hopeful

Possibly, But that doesn't make my statement false. If there were no injuries, no charges would likely have been filed. The mechanism of injury and the resulting injuries are the majority of the case.

You seem to be conflating "charges" and "story".

There would be no "story" (as in media publicity) if this hadn't involved a famous person.

There might still be charges if it hadn't involved a famous person because it involved off-duty officers

PS as of yet there are no charges and no case, though of course that could change tomorrow

No updates on the fight of the century but just wanted to say Happy 1 year anniversary to the McCoy-Kiko trade. Red wine, cigars and yahts for all.

I know some people will tell you otherwise, but I've been at ground zero on the other side of that trade. People in Philly hate McCoy right now, but man, they hate Kiko even more.

You seem to be conflating "charges" and "story".

There would be no "story" (as in media publicity) if this hadn't involved a famous person.

There might still be charges if it hadn't involved a famous person because it involved off-duty officers

PS as of yet there are no charges and no case, though of course that could change tomorrow

Not at all. If McCoy had just been in a shouting/shoving incident at a club with guys who turned out to be off duty cops, there would be no story beyond maybe one day of twitter traffic.

So...no story.

I know some people will tell you otherwise, but I've been at ground zero on the other side of that trade. People in Philly hate McCoy right now, but man, they hate Kiko even more.

thats because since the trade McCoy has more big hits in Philly than Kiko does.

I'll show myself out.

Look, at this point, it's been a month since the initial incident.

There was a great deal of public scrutiny, the FOP president coming in and giving interviews on Philly sports radio.

That was weeks ago. Since then, Bradford has been signed back, Kiko, Maxwell and Murray have been traded, the Flyers are a few points out of the playoffs, and the Phillies have opened spring training.

The Phillies have opened spring training. That is the level to which the importance of the fight has dropped to the public.

The DA could very easily sweep this under the rug and walk away.