The Pro Bowl Solution....or at least one...

Marty McFly

Would you watch an All-Rookie Bowl  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Watch an All Rookie Bowl at the end of the season after the SB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not enough rookies to make it happen.

So with all the whining about how the Pro Bowl is meaningless now and isn't as big as the NBA All Star game (which is true) here's another solution.
Since most Vets want to chill out after the season, not risk getting hurt, and most Super Bowl Teams decline the invite since its before the SB. Why not make it a rookie bowl that takes place a week AFTER the SB? Is there enough rookies to make that happen?

That would be cool since most rookies sit the bench they would be willing to play lights out to show what they can do on a large stage especially UDFA's. You would see which rookies are the best of their class when the lights are on at that point in their careers, it hasn't been done at an NFL level yet. Each coach selected to coach the teams will also show their skill in directing young talent in a small amount of time.
How would the rookies be selected you ask?

2 options

#1. Same as Pro Bowl Voting from NFL coaches, GMs, and players. Rookies go into a draft pool same as current pro bowl.

#2 Each team has a HC/GM hand picked needed amount of rookies to send into the draft pool.

The game would take place a week after the SB, on a Sun or Sat would you watch it?

I gave my simple solution. Tie the money into the players charities $100k per player on the winning team and $50K per player on the losing team. That's the most important thing to them. $10K if they get named and don't play. Award an additional $1,000,000 to the charity of the player that worked the hardest that week as voted on by the players and coaches.

I gave my simple solution. Tie the money into the players charities $100k per player on the winning team and $50K per player on the losing team. That's the most important thing to them. $10K if they get named and don't play. Award an additional $1,000,000 to the charity of the player that worked the hardest that week as voted on by the players and coaches.

we would just continue to see players making their own charities. the preston brown 52 foundation. the 7/11-25/7 Puppy Rescue. The Richie Incognito GLAAD Tolerance fellowship...

it's a joke already no matter what happens to it.

we would just continue to see players making their own charities. the preston brown 52 foundation. the 7/11-25/7 Puppy Rescue. The Richie Incognito GLAAD Tolerance fellowship...

it's a joke already no matter what happens to it.

That is the only way that you get players involved. They are very passionate about their own specific causes. It's how teams get them to participate all of the time. They tie their appearance requirements into the players' charities. For example, if the team wants LeSean McCoy to go to a sponsor event they will make a donation to his ALS charity in exchange for his appearance.

It isn't a perfect solution for the Pro Bowl but is the most successful way to get players to participate in things that they don't necessarily want to do.

Several years ago the televised lead-up to the Pro Bowl included contests, a lot of informal interviews, and plenty of opportunities to see the players just enjoying each other's company. It seems as though they don't do those things anymore. That's too bad, I enjoyed that stuff more than the "game" itself.

The contests included obstacle courses, throwing accuracy, catching balls from a Jugs machine, and other such things.

My son and I still laugh when we talk about Brian Moorman doing the obstacle course. Rather than push a sled, he ran around it and took a time penalty. He was so quick with all the other obstacles, he ended up with one of the best scores in spite of the penalty.

I was a fan of that idea for the record. Charity always kicks ass.

Several years ago the televised lead-up to the Pro Bowl included contests, a lot of informal interviews, and plenty of opportunities to see the players just enjoying each other's company. It seems as though they don't do those things anymore. That's too bad, I enjoyed that stuff more than the "game" itself.

The contests included obstacle courses, throwing accuracy, catching balls from a Jugs machine, and other such things.

My son and I still laugh when we talk about Brian Moorman doing the obstacle course. Rather than push a sled, he ran around it and took a time penalty. He was so quick with all the other obstacles, he ended up with one of the best scores in spite of the penalty.

I remember those, they were cool. It was like watching the NFL go to an all football dave n busters....you know without getting piss drunk n tryna pull some skirt home...also was Super Moorman the Bill that got crushed by Sean Taylor in the Pro Bowl madd years back?

Edited by Marty McFly

Stop the game and stop naming players as pro bowlers and that will fix it. The players association and agents will go crazy because they use it for bargaining and the players love to have their big egos with probowler written beside their name. (Like Brady...4 time SB champion and 14 times probowler.)

It is a dumb game and was started to award the players with a vacation and money. They no longer value that so stop it.

We all know that players named to the probowl has nothing to do with talent

That reminds me of that ABC show in the off season in the 70's. The Superstars. i remember OJ winning one year and Mark Gastineau winning the weighlifting. Those were fun shows.

The guys today would never do it due to injury risk.

There is no real answer for the Pro Bowl. I'll watch for 15 minutes like every year and turn it as it is so boring.

I loved the pro bowl the way it used to be - AFTER the super bowl like the good lord intended. Helped wean me off of football. With the expansion of free agency and draft coverage since they dumped the old formula, there is a lot more material available the broadcast team could use as filler.

Name NFL All Stars every year, but don't make them play in a game. You can still give them free trips to Hawaii.

Have the bottom 2 teams in the league play for the #1 Draft Pick in place of the Pro Bowl.

Edited by BustaTimes

Like the rookie idea - they are trying to make a name for themselves. If there isn't enough, extend it to 2 year players or first year starters like Tyrod.

Will watch with interest this year because of TT.

Other than that, I watch as a sort of a last fix.

As one poster said, it is football and by July we will all be Jonesing it again - I enjoy while I can.

Same thing with Combine and Draft.

Just name your All-Pro teams and leave it at that. No game. You could also do 2nd and 3rd team all-pros.

That's probably the best solution. This whole pro bowl thing where a guy is like the 6th choice is dumb. Agents love it though.

Maybe they should just have a skills competition in Hawaii. I loved the qb challenge when I was a kid. Too much risk of injury in football games.

Skills challenge. Yes.

And engage the fan base and let them compete against players. Get average players. Do your all pros etc but than vote the top 3 or 4 guys to Hawaii as something per team. Have Sammy go out and put his talents on display against eldeman or d Thomas. Have kyle Williams see if he can get the ball thru the tire better than cliff avril.

Have fun. Make it funny. Have women in bikinis.

This is an interesting idea.

That would be cool. and kill the tanking philosophy kinda. or a 3rd place game between the NFC and AFC championship losers for a switch in draft pick position, would that work or is it only based on reg season record?

Name NFL All Stars every year, but don't make them play in a game. You can still give them free trips to Hawaii.

Have the bottom 2 teams in the league play for the #1 Draft Pick in place of the Pro Bowl.

yes.

Didn't they used to do something like that until Robert Edwards ended his career on the beach? It was awhile ago so I may need to be corrected.

Yes, exactly. In fact, Edwards almost died. My sarcasm may have been a bit too subtle.

Great idea....maybe to make it more fun and reduce the risk of serious injury they could play two hand touch on the beach.

BIG UPDATE ON THE FUTURE OF THE PRO-BOWL. I was watching NFL network and Goodell got on the podium and said he was not pleased with the Pro Bowl, said it wasnt even a competitive contest. Said he wasnt happy with it 4 years ago, they tried some different things but he sounded like he will either eliminate the pro-bowl or change it to a skills competition, or back to after the Superbowl NFC vs AFC exactly how the football Gods intended it to be. Check out the talk from Roger Goodell himself.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000632968/article/goodell-pro-bowl-may-not-continue-in-current-format.