Stephon Gilmore: "I Know I’m an Elite Corner."

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's played 53 of 64 possible games in his career with a full 16 games in his rookie year.

All well and good, but he injured himself this year by using horrible form on a tackle, where he tried to go for a big hit and ended up destroying his shoulder. And that's the thing about Gilmore - he's "elite" under today's standards, but he loses focus 4-7 plays per game. We're going to have to pay him, but he's an imperfect player.

Why would anyone think there would be a discount?

Agreed.

What will likely happen is that he will walk, and the Bills will replace him with a first round defensive back. And it won't really matter if we are winning or losing because this is what the Bills do.

The certainty of the Bills drafting first round defensive backs is a large part of what makes your screen name just so fitting.

Edited by Bill from NYC

All well and good, but he injured himself this year by using horrible form on a tackle, where he tried to go for a big hit and ended up destroying his shoulder. And that's the thing about Gilmore - he's "elite" under today's standards, but he loses focus 4-7 plays per game. We're going to have to pay him, but he's an imperfect player.

He's done that at least two times and really has to find a way to improve his tackling technique.

Gilmore is a a really good CB, but I wouldn't put him in elite status as say a Sherman or Peterson or Chris Harrris or Talib. Top 15 probably. Darby will end up being better than Gilmore.

I don't know if it's Gilmore, or what he's being asked to do - but he seems to be on the scene when many passes are completed. since an OC can make a conscious decision to avoid throwing to the side of the field where he expects to find Gilmore defending - yet chooses not to - says something about that OC's confidence in making plays against Stephon.

all season I've heard fans and announcers repeating the rhetoric of how Gilmore is having a 'great' season. apparently, PFF concurs.. but for the reason given above, I don't agree. great - or elite - defenders are not challenged very often because there's little chance of being successful doing that. he's played well, but I don't think Stephon scares anyone.. certainly not enough to make them avoid attacking him.

It's not my money, but I would draft or sign another young CB - and let him go FA after next season. I think there are plenty of young athletes playing ball, who can be as effective as Gilmore

Edited by BackInDaDay