PFF Ranking of 2015 NFL Starting QBs

Name 10 better. Go:

Based on this year alone? All the guys listed ahead of him, Alex Smith, Rodgers, Fitz, Eli, Flacco, Luck just off the top of my head.

I like Taylor and I am consistent that I don't crazy over one year. It's why I wanted to give guys more time after their first years to just label them busts. This league adjusts pretty quick.

We beat one team with a winning record. Our gameplan was to limit the amount of passes. In almost half of his starts, we threw for 215 yards or less. Again, I like Taylor but there is a lot to improve on. He is Alex Smith with a deep ball who doesn't throw over the middle. There's are certainly things he can improve on but to say he's a top 10 qb after one year is being a giant homer.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod had a solid first year but this is why stats never tell the whole story in football. Taylor is not a top 10 qb.

This is why post counts never tell the whole story in internet forums. C.Biscuit97 is not a top 10 poster.

That's what was so encouraging in the last game against the 4th ranked defense all his completions went less than 20 yards in the air. Even on a day when the weather was going to make long passes much harder to complete and everyone knew short/intermediate passes were coming.

It was an improvement. The biggest thing is just taking what they give you, particularly when the weather is as it was on Sunday. Another year in the system, as the unquestioned starter through TC, should be beneficial.

As with anything, consistency is the key to longevity in the NFL. The arrow is definitely pointing up for him.

It was an improvement. The biggest thing is just taking what they give you, particularly when the weather is as it was on Sunday. Another year in the system, as the unquestioned starter through TC, should be beneficial.

As with anything, consistency is the key to longevity in the NFL. The arrow is definitely pointing up for him.

And that is 100% accurate. He can be a top 10. But to say so at this point is just insane and would not occur anywhere but on a Bills board.

That said, I'm sure Miami fans did this with Tannehill last year. IMO, you need, at the minimum, 3 years to know about a qb. This was year 1 for Tyrod and hopefully he takes the next step.

I agree.

The difference on the ground between Alex and Tyrod is not as big as one would think.

Tyrod - 568 yds 5.5 avg 4 tds

Alex - 498 yds 5.9 avg 2 tds

I know, Alex is one of the better running QBs in the league. The reason that I think that Tyrod is "elite" at that particular skill is because of the damage that he does with his legs on 3rd & 4th down. I do not know the stats but intuitively it feels to me like he moves the chains a lot with his legs.

Tyrod had a solid first year but this is why stats never tell the whole story in football. Taylor is not a top 10 qb.

I think the bigger issues are sustaining drives. That's on Tyrod as a short/intermediate passer and on situationally aware play calling.

It's really nice to have the deep ball but, for the most part, the NFL is still a short/intermediate game. It might be boring but clock control is the object of the Roman attack.

I'd rather have Tyrod than not. Good first year, must get better. Have to remember that development isn't a given in the NFL but he seems to have the drive to get better. I wouldn't bet against him.

He's not a top-10 guy right now and the jury is still out as to whether he'll improve from year 1 to 2 as starter. Hopefully Buffalo doesn't follow the same tired model of betting the farm on one guy without acquiring someone capable behind him.

One other guy who once played well was Nick Foles in 2013. He had 27 TDs versus 2 INT that year, but was traded before 2015 by PHI to STL. Some guys have a solid year and then never produce that way again.

And that is 100% accurate. He can be a top 10. But to say so at this point is just insane and would not occur anywhere but on a Bills board.

That said, I'm sure Miami fans did this with Tannehill last year. IMO, you need, at the minimum, 3 years to know about a qb. This was year 1 for Tyrod and hopefully he takes the next step.

We've seen some mobile guys get figured out after a year or two. A year of film, a year of tendencies.

Bill Belichick in the division also who, if he can figure Tyrod out, will lay the blueprint. Given scheduling, likely early in the season too.

I'd be stupid to bet against Tyrod, his work ethic is ridiculous. Cautious optimism is probably where I'm at.

@rand_getlin

Per @Spotrac, #Bills QB Tyrod Taylor is projected to average somewhere in the ballpark of $19.4M per year on a new contract.

@nfldraftscout

Better set it up like Kaepernick's deal. Year-to-year, gets paid more if he continues to develop.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I know, Alex is one of the better running QBs in the league. The reason that I think that Tyrod is "elite" at that particular skill is because of the damage that he does with his legs on 3rd & 4th down. I do not know the stats but intuitively it feels to me like he moves the chains a lot with his legs.

Some people on this board want him to stop running, but I feel he would not be as effective as a QB if he did. As far as moving the chain your probably right many, many more if he didn't throw long on third and short with a wide open field in front of him.

Some people on this board want him to stop running, but I feel he would not be as effective as a QB if he did. As far as moving the chain your probably right many, many more if he didn't throw long on third and short with a wide open field in front of him.

That is correct, he did give up a ton of third conversions by throwing it downfield when he could of just opted for the safer throw/run to the markers. I think he will get better at this next year, learning that patience & moving the sticks is vital to controlling the game.

That is correct, he did give up a ton of third conversions by throwing it downfield when he could of just opted for the safer throw/run to the markers. I think he will get better at this next year, learning that patience & moving the sticks is vital to controlling the game.

Absolutely, that's what they did against the Jets and had the ball for over 39 minutes. Hard for a team to win when the other team has the ball twice as long as you do.

Maybe not yet. If you are a Bills fan hope he is and stop tying be the guy who can say 'I told you so' if he fails.

Tyrod is the best QB the Bills have had since Bledsoe best year. Tyrod has things to improve, middle of the field routes and moving around in the pocket to find passing lanes. I like what I see so far and you should too.

I think the bigger issues are sustaining drives. That's on Tyrod as a short/intermediate passer and on situationally aware play calling.

It's really nice to have the deep ball but, for the most part, the NFL is still a short/intermediate game. It might be boring but clock control is the object of the Roman attack.

I'd rather have Tyrod than not. Good first year, must get better. Have to remember that development isn't a given in the NFL but he seems to have the drive to get better. I wouldn't bet against him.

Tyrod did show that he is improving in this area if you look at the Jets game. It's the best I had seen him look throwing intermediate passes.

Yeah, I am with you on the running. It is one of his biggest weapons. There is some stat out there about Cam Newton running for 1st downs that is just insane. I am too lazy to google it but it really explains why he is so effective. I know that Cam is bigger than Tyrod but don't take away what he does well. He needs to improve on the midrange game and the middle of the field but that should not come at the expense of his running and deep ball throwing. It needs to be in addition to those 2 things.

Based on this year alone? All the guys listed ahead of him, Alex Smith, Rodgers, Fitz, Eli, Flacco, Luck just off the top of my head.

I like Taylor and I am consistent that I don't crazy over one year. It's why I wanted to give guys more time after their first years to just label them busts. This league adjusts pretty quick.

We beat one team with a winning record. Our gameplan was to limit the amount of passes. In almost half of his starts, we threw for 215 yards or less. Again, I like Taylor but there is a lot to improve on. He is Alex Smith with a deep ball who doesn't throw over the middle. There's are certainly things he can improve on but to say he's a top 10 qb after one year is being a giant homer.

So he's top 7.

You understand that "top 10" isn't a saying. It's an actual ranking.

If you can't name 10 better, he's top 10.

Yeah, I am with you on the running. It is one of his biggest weapons. There is some stat out there about Cam Newton running for 1st downs that is just insane. I am too lazy to google it but it really explains why he is so effective. I know that Cam is bigger than Tyrod but don't take away what he does well. He needs to improve on the midrange game and the middle of the field but that should not come at the expense of his running and deep ball throwing. It needs to be in addition to those 2 things.

I agree Kirby. Did it seem like play calling(design) had something to do with this? I say that because the play calls and design in the Jets game seemed to key on the midrange game and middle of the field way more than the other 15 games.

The difference on the ground between Alex and Tyrod is not as big as one would think.

Tyrod - 568 yds 5.5 avg 4 tds

Alex - 498 yds 5.9 avg 2 tds

Almost 20% of Alex Smith's yards came against us on 3rd downs. :bag: