PFF Ranking of 2015 NFL Starting QBs

A couple times over the last few years I wrote an extended post about why Russell Wilson was a freak of nature, and there would never be another one of him. And it's possible that I was wrong and Tyrod Taylor will be that unthinkable player.

The reasoning behind the original posts was because even though Wilson was short, he excelled at virtually every other possible attribute of a QB and there was virtually no one else like that outside of Aaron Rodgers.

Wilson has a cannon for an arm.

Wilson is accurate short, medium, and long.

Wilson can run great, he can scramble great, he can throw accurately on the run going either way.

Wilson is an excellent ball handler on play fakes and zone reads.

Wilson is a great student of the game, studies film like a maniac, practices hard, is a great leader, good in the huddle, beloved by teammates and coaches for the most part, is like a coach on the field.

Wilson is smart and can read defenses and knows where to go with the ball.

Wilson doesn't panic when down or is having a bad game and keeps his demeanor the same regardless of the situation.

Wilson is small but built well and tough. He doesn't take any more big hits than most other QBs.

Wilson is not a madman off the field and is a great face of the franchise.

Wilson is a winner even when he is not having a great statistical game. He wins games and wins big games.

Wilson runs the hurry up well and is in complete control at all times.

Wilson was great in college and in his senior year had one of the greatest seasons any QB has ever had.

There isn't anything he is not very good at.

The thing is, Tyrod has most of those same qualities.

He needs to prove he can read defenses.

He needs to prove he can run a hurry up.

He needs to prove he can win games and win big games.

But he has most of those same qualities. it's possible lightning struck twice.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I included every stat I could think of and tried to not leave any out. What does he offer Tyrod doesn't? 15 more passing yards and .4 less sacks a game. Every other statistical passing category Tyrod has him. More tds a game, a whole yard more per pass, half the ints a game, completion %, qb rating. If it's yards your after Tyrod more than makes up for it in rushing yards a game +35. Joe had a great 4 game run on the way to the Super Bowl, 11 tds/ 0 ints, I know. Outside of that, his postseason record 6-5 14 tds/10 ints . I know I know it's a Super Bowl.

You're including his first few years in the league which bring down his numbers, and he most certainly is not that player anymore. The guy started as a rookie and went to the playoffs. TT started year 5 and went 8-6. Apples to rocks.

Edited by FireChan

You're including his first few years in the league which bring down his numbers, and he most certainly is not that player anymore. The guy started as a rookie and went to the playoffs. TT started year 5 and went 8-6. Apples to rocks.

last 3 years - 60 tds 48 ints/4 lost fumbles 60/52 tds/turnovers 1.25/1 td/to ratio qb ratings 73.1, 91, 83.1 avg: 82.4

first three years - 60 tds 34 ints/8 lost fumbles 60/42 tds/turnovers 1.42/1 td/to ratio qb ratings 80.3, 88.9, 93.6 avg: 87.6

:lol: Yeah it looks like it. Nothing you just said is true besides going to the playoffs. That year the Ravens got to the playoffs like every other year.....DEFENSE.

Or was it with Flacco's less tds 14-20, more ints 12-6, lower comp% 60-63.7, less yards 2971-3035, worse qb rating 80.3-99.4, less rushing yards 180-568, or less rushing tds 2-4? :lol:

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

last 3 years - 60 tds 48 ints/4 lost fumbles 60/52 tds/turnovers 1.25/1 td/to ratio qb ratings 73.1, 91, 83.1 avg: 82.4

first three years - 60 tds 34 ints/8 lost fumbles 60/42 tds/turnovers 1.42/1 td/to ratio qb ratings 80.3, 88.9, 93.6 avg: 87.6

:lol: Yeah it looks like it. Nothing you just said is true besides going to the playoffs. That year the Ravens got to the playoffs like every other year.....DEFENSE.

Or was it with Flacco's less tds 14-20, more ints 12-6, lower comp% 60-63.7, less yards 2971-3035, worse qb rating 80.3-99.4, less rushing yards 180-568, or less rushing tds 2-4? :lol:

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. This is a real island you're on.

Last 3 years and first 3. Excluding two of his best. Nice.

Edited by FireChan

Tyrod had a solid first year but this is why stats never tell the whole story in football. Taylor is not a top 10 qb.

I agree with you that he is not a top 10 qb but he is an emerging qb. Some of the traits that make him very appealing as a player are not necessarily measurable. Putting aside his physical tools his on field acumen is apparent. He has an instinct for the game that can't be taught. Compare how he adjusts and reacts to the defense to the more mechanical EJ?

Everyone who works with him and is around him point out that he is a high character guy, a leader and possesses a high end work ethic. I'm very confident that next year his game will be expanded and that he will be on an upward trajectory. I am cautiously optimistic about him and what he can do for the team.

I think the bigger issues are sustaining drives. That's on Tyrod as a short/intermediate passer and on situationally aware play calling.

It's really nice to have the deep ball but, for the most part, the NFL is still a short/intermediate game. It might be boring but clock control is the object of the Roman attack.

I'd rather have Tyrod than not. Good first year, must get better. Have to remember that development isn't a given in the NFL but he seems to have the drive to get better. I wouldn't bet against him.

Not having Clay and a #2 WR (and disappearance of a slot receiver) hurt probably in throwing in the middle of the field. Tyrod showed a bunch of good things:

1. Protecting the football (6 INTs and few fumbles).

2. Vision to take off and get the first down (On most occassions)

3. Not holding on to the football and taking unnecessary sacks

4. Better success rate with the long balls.

Now if we can get some help from the TE position and a full TC as the undisputed starter, he can work on the intermediate routes. This offense will be exciting next year assuming we can re-sign Richie and Cordy.

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. This is a real island you're on.

Last 3 years and first 3. Excluding two of his best. Nice.

What are you talking about? You said his first few years in the league were bringing down his numbers. I showed you his last few years are the ones bring down his numbers. He's not getting better he's getting worse. He's not that good to begin with minus a 4 game stretch(albeit very important) in the 2012 postseason. His td to turnover ratio is not good 1.3/1 career qb rating in a pass friendly league 84.7. 27 qbs this year finished higher including Blaine Gabbert. Know who didn't? That's right Joe Flacco 83.1, he rated 30th.

What are you talking about? You said his first few years in the league were bringing down his numbers. I showed you his last few years are the ones bring down his numbers. He's not getting better he's getting worse. He's not that good to begin with minus a 4 game stretch(albeit very important) in the 2012 postseason. His td to turnover ratio is not good 1.3/1 career qb rating in a pass friendly league 84.7. 27 qbs this year finished higher including Blaine Gabbert. Know who didn't? That's right Joe Flacco 83.1, he rated 30th.

Okay. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I think 32 GMs in the NFL would take Flacco over Tyrod.

Okay. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I think 32 GMs in the NFL would take Flacco over Tyrod.

So they would want the 30th rated qb in the league and not the 7th? Flacco, in 8 years, never posted a better rating than Tyrod's first year starting. Add the running threat and chance of each improving I think your wrong about the GMs. But like you said I guess it's a matter of opinion. ;)

Tyrod had a solid first year but this is why stats never tell the whole story in football. Taylor is not a top 10 qb.

He's not or he's not supposed to be?

A couple times over the last few years I wrote an extended post about why Russell Wilson was a freak of nature, and there would never be another one of him. And it's possible that I was wrong and Tyrod Taylor will be that unthinkable player.

The reasoning behind the original posts was because even though Wilson was short, he excelled at virtually every other possible attribute of a QB and there was virtually no one else like that outside of Aaron Rodgers.

Wilson has a cannon for an arm.

Wilson is accurate short, medium, and long.

Wilson can run great, he can scramble great, he can throw accurately on the run going either way.

Wilson is an excellent ball handler on play fakes and zone reads.

Wilson is a great student of the game, studies film like a maniac, practices hard, is a great leader, good in the huddle, beloved by teammates and coaches for the most part, is like a coach on the field.

Wilson is smart and can read defenses and knows where to go with the ball.

Wilson doesn't panic when down or is having a bad game and keeps his demeanor the same regardless of the situation.

Wilson is small but built well and tough. He doesn't take any more big hits than most other QBs.

Wilson is not a madman off the field and is a great face of the franchise.

Wilson is a winner even when he is not having a great statistical game. He wins games and wins big games.

Wilson runs the hurry up well and is in complete control at all times.

Wilson was great in college and in his senior year had one of the greatest seasons any QB has ever had.

There isn't anything he is not very good at.

The thing is, Tyrod has most of those same qualities.

He needs to prove he can read defenses.

He needs to prove he can run a hurry up.

He needs to prove he can win games and win big games.

But he has most of those same qualities. it's possible lightning struck twice.

Thank you. For a first year starter and with all the injuries and lack of discipline (drive stopping penalties) we had on offense, Taylor proved to be gold. How let's get him a solid offensive line.

Previous Flacco years or right this second

Doesn't matter 8 years never passed for 4,000 yards, only thrown 25 or more tds twice highest 27, heck Tyrod had 20 in 14 games his first year starting and some games hardly anyone to throw to. Highest qb rating 93.6 back in 2010, 6 points less than Tyrods. Rushing Flacco has Tyrod by a 100 if you count all 8 years combined against Tyrods 14 game season.

Previous Flacco years or right this second

This second.

Doesn't matter 8 years never passed for 4,000 yards, only thrown 25 or more tds twice highest 27, heck Tyrod had 20 in 14 games his first year starting and some games hardly anyone to throw to. Highest qb rating 93.6 back in 2010, 6 points less than Tyrods. Rushing Flacco has Tyrod by a 100 if you count all 8 years combined against Tyrods 14 game season.

Name Joe Flacco's receivers this season.

This second.

Name Joe Flacco's receivers this season.

Kamar Akien had almost as many yards as Sammy, 944 yards. He had more than half of them in the 6 games with Mallet, Clausen and Schuab throwing to him(488), than with the 10 games Flacco had with him(456). For 7 out of 10 games Flacco played in he also had Steve Smith, who last year had over a 1000 yards and this year was averaging over 95 yards a game, more than the Bills best WR Sammy 80.5.

Kamar Akien had almost as many yards as Sammy, 944 yards. He had more than half of them in the 6 games with Mallet, Clausen and Schuab throwing to him(488), than with the 10 games Flacco had with him(456). For 7 out of 10 games Flacco played in he also had Steve Smith, who last year had over a 1000 yards and this year was averaging over 95 yards a game, more than the Bills best WR Sammy 80.5.

Steve Smith played 7 games, 3 of them with broken ribs.

Is Kamar Aiken on the same talent level as Sammy or nah?

If you're trying to make the argument that the Ravens' WRs were better and or healthier than the Bills this year, I don't know what to say.

Here are the things Joe Flacco has proven in his career:

-Can win games with his arm

-Can come up big in huge moments

-Can win playoff games with his arm

-SB MVP

-greatest QB postseason of all timw

Here are the things Taylor has proven in his career:

Edited by FireChan

Steve Smith played 7 games, 3 of them with broken ribs.

Is Kamar Aiken on the same talent level as Sammy or nah?

If you're trying to make the argument that the Ravens' WRs were better and or healthier than the Bills this year, I don't know what to say.

Steve may have had broken ribs but his worst 3 game stretch he still averaged 80 yds/gm. Sammy was injured early in the year also his worst 3 game stretch was the first 3 games when he averaged 33 yds/gm. Sammy missed 3 games and played injured in several more. Woods played all year with a torn groin, Hogan had torn wrist ligaments, Harvin played 5 games, then they were down to starting Easley and he got hurt, Clay missed the last 3 1/2 games. Healthier I don't think so. As far as being better I never said or implied that. I also never said Aiken was on the same talent level as Sammy just the yardage was similar . You asked me to name Flacco's receivers and that is what I did.

Steve may have had broken ribs but his worst 3 game stretch he still averaged 80 yds/gm. Sammy was injured early in the year also his worst 3 game stretch was the first 3 games when he averaged 33 yds/gm. Sammy missed 3 games and played injured in several more. Woods played all year with a torn groin, Hogan had torn wrist ligaments, Harvin played 5 games, then they were down to starting Easley and he got hurt, Clay missed the last 3 1/2 games. Healthier I don't think so. As far as being better I never said or implied that. I also never said Aiken was on the same talent level as Sammy just the yardage was similar . You asked me to name Flacco's receivers and that is what I did.

Pitta didn't play all year. Perriman didn't play all year.

Sammy was hurt, but he missed 3 games, not 9. Hogan and Woods didn't miss any time.

What point were you trying to make with Aiken's yardage?

Edited by FireChan

Pitta didn't play all year. Perriman didn't play all year.

Sammy was hurt, but he missed 3 games, not 9. Hogan and Woods didn't miss any time.

What point were you trying to make with Aiken's yardage?

Well this has gone absolutely no where. One thing's apparent I'm not changing your mind and you're not changing mine. We'll have to agree to disagree. Have to get up in 4 hours and 20 minutes :lol: and need some sleep. Have a good night FC.

Well this has gone absolutely no where. One thing's apparent I'm not changing your mind and you're not changing mine. We'll have to agree to disagree. Have to get up in 4 hours and 20 minutes :lol: and need some sleep. Have a good night FC.

Haha you too.

OK well.....Flacco is on injuried reserve and has been for a while so......really?

Well obviously for next season John.