PFF Ranking of 2015 NFL Starting QBs

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Kirby. Did it seem like play calling(design) had something to do with this? I say that because the play calls and design in the Jets game seemed to key on the midrange game and middle of the field way more than the other 15 games.

It sure did (and he did it effectively). I am not sure that he is not capable of making those plays he just has not been asked to. There are guys that are incapable of doing certain things (like Peyton Manning running) and then there are guys that aren't asked to do a certain thing (like Alex Smith throwing down the field). Tyrod may very well be the latter.

It sure did (and he did it effectively). I am not sure that he is not capable of making those plays he just has not been asked to. There are guys that are incapable of doing certain things (like Peyton Manning running) and then there are guys that aren't asked to do a certain thing (like Alex Smith throwing down the field). Tyrod may very well be the latter.

I hope the Offensive play calling mirrors the Jets game next year with some shots down field. Find ways to feed Sammy the ball as much as possible. They did a great job of that in the game.

I hear people on this board say we shouldn't go all in on TT , and what does this really mean?

Does it mean, the team shouldn't support him 100%?

Does it mean , the fan base shouldn't support him 100%?

Does it mean, we shouldn't give him a new contract?

If the latter is the case, he is under contract and if he plays great, we still have franchise tags to use. So, like Whaley said we don't have to do anything.

My point is this, yes get a better back up than Manuel. Bring in a developmental project from the draft. However, drafting a QB with the 19 pick is not so smart given we may have the guy and have other needs.

Finally, for a QB to fully develop he must be supported 100%. I can't think of any good QB who isn't the center of the franchise.

If I was starting a franchise today, and we only had 1 year to win the super bowl, here is the order of QBs that would be taken off the board in my opinion:

1. Brady
  2. Rodgers
  3. Luck
  4. Roethlisberger
  5. Brees
  6. Wilson
  7. Newton
  8. Rivers
  9. Dalton
  10. Ryan
  11. Flacco
  12. Stafford
  13. Eli Manning
  14. Carr
  15. Tyrod Taylor

After what I've seen this year, he's in the top half of the league for sure. Honorable mention to Bradford, A. Smith, Cousins (you like that?), Bortles, and maybe Cutler. I wouldn't touch Palmer, Romo, or P. Manning because of age/injury. Someone mentioned Fitz in an earlier post, that's just straight ignorance. I love playing against Tannehill, he just can't read a defense and get rid of the ball. I think TT (right now) is better than some of the young guns; Winston, Mariota and Bridgewater. Anyone else worth mentioning?

If I was starting a franchise today, and we only had 1 year to win the super bowl, here is the order of QBs that would be taken off the board in my opinion:

1. Brady
  2. Rodgers
  3. Luck
  4. Roethlisberger
  5. Brees
  6. Wilson
  7. Newton
  8. Rivers
  9. Dalton
  10. Ryan
  11. Flacco
  12. Stafford
  13. Eli Manning
  14. Carr
  15. Tyrod Taylor

After what I've seen this year, he's in the top half of the league for sure. Honorable mention to Bradford, A. Smith, Cousins (you like that?), Bortles, and maybe Cutler. I wouldn't touch Palmer, Romo, or P. Manning because of age/injury. Someone mentioned Fitz in an earlier post, that's just straight ignorance. I love playing against Tannehill, he just can't read a defense and get rid of the ball. I think TT (right now) is better than some of the young guns; Winston, Mariota and Bridgewater. Anyone else worth mentioning?

But your new franchise isn't only going to have one year to win the Super Bowl. What does your list look like if it's real life, and it's now going forward? What team only has one year to win it all? Never got that argument.

But your new franchise isn't only going to have one year to win the Super Bowl. What does your list look like if it's real life, and it's now going forward? What team only has one year to win it all? Never got that argument.

I think it's just the easiest way of asking who's best right now. A lot of people don't want to get into long term because potential is an intangible concept and injuries, etc. are unpredictable.

I think it's just the easiest way of asking who's best right now. A lot of people don't want to get into long term because potential is an intangible concept and injuries, etc. are unpredictable.

True, while several those things are unpredictable, one is not father time. Several of those QBs are getting very long in the tooth.

I will give it a shot (I left out Peyton because I think that this will be his last year). Keep in mind this is a top of the head 1st pass so go easy on me:

1. Rodgers
  2. Newton
  3. Luck
  4. Wilson
  5. Big Ben
  6. Eli
  7. Brady
  8. Brees
  9. Rivers
  10. Stafford
  11. Cousins
  12. Bortles
  13. Palmer
  14. Tyrod
  15. Ryan
  16. Flacco
  17. Mariota
  18. Jameis
  19. Dalton
  20. Carr
  21. Bridgewater
  22. Alex Smith
  23. Romo
  24. Brock Osweiler
  25. Cutler
  26. Fitzpatrick
  27. Manziel
  28. Tannehill
  29. Hoyer
  30. Bradford
  31. Gabbert
  32. Foles / Keenum

The way that I approached it is if the 32 starting QBs were drafted tomorrow this is the order in which I would select them.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The short and intermediate throws deficit I believe comes more from Roman and Ryan as they didn't think he was ready. If he can be as accurate and produtive with low turnovers and hits with tough the aforementioned throws we have ourselves a franchise QB. If we lock up the guys that matter with basically Mario's money, take it easy in free agency, and draft really well, the following year we should have the cap for TT.

There will be more money from TNF going to a network for a full season, and I be in two years we have a 7th WC team in the playoffs meaning another game, so more money.

The crazy thing from a financial standpoint for these players is to convert to 18 games season and two pre-season games. The league could increase the roster, and how many they activate to cover injuries, and the increased games would bring up substantially the TV revenue of which the players get over 50% of those dollars. The last thing they could do is have a second bye week. That also puts more TV money and gives some rest to the guys. Yould get a bye week in the first 9 games, and another in the second 9 games.

Congrats TT! Glad your getting some love from the national media.

I will give it a shot (I left out Peyton because I think that this will be his last year). Keep in mind this is a top of the head 1st pass so go easy on me:

• Rodgers
  • Newton
  • Luck
  • Wilson
  • Big Ben
  • Eli
  • Brady
  • Brees
  • Rivers
  • Stafford
  • Cousins
  • Bortles
  • Palmer
  • Tyrod
  • Ryan
  • Flacco
  • Mariota
  • Jameis
  • Dalton
  • Carr
  • Bridgewater
  • Alex Smith
  • Romo
  • Brock Osweiler
  • Cutler
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Manziel
  • Tannehill
  • Hoyer
  • Bradford
  • Gabbert
  • Foles / Keenum
The way that I approached it is if the 32 starting QBs were drafted tomorrow this is the order in which I would select them.

Tanny behind Fitz is bananas. And I love Fitz.

Based on this year alone? All the guys listed ahead of him, Alex Smith, Rodgers, Fitz, Eli, Flacco, Luck just off the top of my head.

I like Taylor and I am consistent that I don't crazy over one year. It's why I wanted to give guys more time after their first years to just label them busts. This league adjusts pretty quick.

We beat one team with a winning record. Our gameplan was to limit the amount of passes. In almost half of his starts, we threw for 215 yards or less. Again, I like Taylor but there is a lot to improve on. He is Alex Smith with a deep ball who doesn't throw over the middle. There's are certainly things he can improve on but to say he's a top 10 qb after one year is being a giant homer.

Wait so let me get this right: fitz is now a top 10 QB? But TT is not?

And Luck was a top 10 qb? Missing half the season? And throwing INT's left and right.

Flacco?

Edited by bobobonators

You love Tannehill too (or is that BB)? I think that he stinks personally. He cant see the field and is limited in the throws that he can make. He plays like Alex Smith without the cerebral part. He is like the homeless, mentally challenged version of Alex Smith. I'm not a fan at all. Maybe he will blow up like Dalton did but I just don't see it.

Craziness?

You made the statement: "He's not a top 10 QB."

I asked you to name 10 better. You named 6.

I said all the Qbs listed ahead of him are better at this point (though Carr is at a similar part of his career).

At this point, he is like Alex Smith after his first season under Roman. Manages games and doesn't win them himself. I'm not a giant fan of Smith but he won't blow games for you and you could do worse. Personally, I want a guy who can win you games and Taylor didn't should me enough of that this year.

Again, it's his first year starting so there's plenty of time for growth. Being optimist, he will continue to grow as a qb and become a top 10 guy. The flip side is plenty of Qbs have had a good to decent first year and never gotten better.

I believe Taylor could be better next year with worse stats. But I think the definition of a homer (and I was as big of one as there was) is to put Taylor top 10 after a year he was basically asked not to lose games. But we have every right to be excited. I'm just taking a more realistic approach after many years of assuming a qb will take the next step.

Fitz was much better than Tannehill this year and it's not even close. That said, no one throws a better 5 yard pass to Wrs than him.

1. Rodgers
  2. Newton
  3. Luck
  4. Wilson
  5. Big Ben
  6. Eli
  7. Brady
  8. Brees
  9. Rivers
  10. Stafford
  11. Cousins
  12. Bortles
  13. Palmer
  14. Tyrod
  15. Ryan
  16. Flacco
  17. Mariota
  18. Jameis
  19. Dalton
  20. Carr
  21. Bridgewater
  22. Alex Smith
  23. Romo
  24. Brock Osweiler
  25. Cutler
  26. Fitzpatrick
  27. Manziel
  28. Tannehill
  29. Hoyer
  30. Bradford
  31. Gabbert
  32. Foles / Keenum

That's much closer. I might switch 1 and 2 same as 3 and 4. Newton might be the best going forward. That's coming from someone, who before this year, didn't think he'd ever "get it" and become elite, but could you imagine how much better of a season he would have had, if he had Benjamin to throw to. Eli might be a little too high he's 35 now. Man doesn't seem like he's a lot younger than Brady? The difference is only 3 1/2 years and I don't see the same drive to play as long as Brady is going to try to do. If Coughlin was still there, those two were real close, I think he would played longer.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS