PFF Ranking of 2015 NFL Starting QBs

Wait so let me get this right: fitz is now a top 10 QB? But TT is not?

And Luck was a top 10 qb? Missing half the season? And throwing INT's left and right.

Flacco?

I put the 9 guys ahead of Taylor on that list too. This year, I thought Fitz was a better all around qb than Taylor. The Jets put more on his plate to win games than Taylor. There's nothing wrong with that since Fitz is a vet and in a familiar system.

And Luck was bad but are you seriously arguing that he isn't better than Taylor? Flacco is flawed but he's been an annual playoff qb and has a SB.

Taylor has a lot of work to catch up to those guys. Plenty of time for him to get it but it wasn't like our offense set the league on fire.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, Alex is one of the better running QBs in the league. The reason that I think that Tyrod is "elite" at that particular skill is because of the damage that he does with his legs on 3rd & 4th down. I do not know the stats but intuitively it feels to me like he moves the chains a lot with his legs.

Tyrod had 1sts on 27% of his runs, smith was 36, 25 and 30% with the chiefs the last 3 years. oddly the situational breakdowns didnt have by down to see 3rd down conversions.

alex smith is a pretty reasonable comp player to TTs season

Edited by NoSaint

Tyrod had 1sts on 27% of his runs, smith was 36, 25 and 30% with the chiefs the last 3 years. oddly the situational breakdowns didnt have by down to see 3rd down conversions.

Tyrod was essentially Alex Smith. Tyrod throws a better deep ball and Smith is better at the intermediate throws. But the end result was Tyrod Smith.

Based on this year alone? All the guys listed ahead of him, Alex Smith, Rodgers, Fitz, Eli, Flacco, Luck just off the top of my head.

I like Taylor and I am consistent that I don't crazy over one year. It's why I wanted to give guys more time after their first years to just label them busts. This league adjusts pretty quick.

We beat one team with a winning record. Our gameplan was to limit the amount of passes. In almost half of his starts, we threw for 215 yards or less. Again, I like Taylor but there is a lot to improve on. He is Alex Smith with a deep ball who doesn't throw over the middle. There's are certainly things he can improve on but to say he's a top 10 qb after one year is being a giant homer.

I am wondering why you would rank Luck ahead of him when he sucked ass this year. Nearly got his HC fired

I am wondering why you would rank Luck ahead of him when he sucked ass this year. Nearly got his HC fired

John, I like you and I think you're a great poster. I think the years of missing the playoffs over and over again had made me more of a "realist" (I hate these stupid terms). I've even said I think Luck was getting overrated.

But nowhere but a Bills' board would someone honestly try to compare Taylor and Luck.

Yeah, I am with you on the running. It is one of his biggest weapons. There is some stat out there about Cam Newton running for 1st downs that is just insane. I am too lazy to google it but it really explains why he is so effective. I know that Cam is bigger than Tyrod but don't take away what he does well. He needs to improve on the midrange game and the middle of the field but that should not come at the expense of his running and deep ball throwing. It needs to be in addition to those 2 things.

I want him to be more selective when he does it

You hear it plenty of times this year "the defense has it schemed up perfectly....they did everything rright....but when you have a QB like Tyrod Taylor he just kills you with his legs"

LOVE hearing that

but

I would like his game to evolve to the point where he has chemistry with his targets that when he moves out of the pocket they break off routes and give him an outlet to throw the ball instead of running it himself every time.

They do this.....and TT easily starts having 300 yard passing games

Agree NoSaint.

Tyrod was essentially Alex Smith. Tyrod throws a better deep ball and Smith is better at the intermediate throws. But the end result was Tyrod Smith.

Agree C.Biscuit97, but one is a 10 year starter and you is a first year starter.

I want him to be more selective when he does it

You hear it plenty of times this year "the defense has it schemed up perfectly....they did everything rright....but when you have a QB like Tyrod Taylor he just kills you with his legs"

LOVE hearing that

but

I would like his game to evolve to the point where he has chemistry with his targets that when he moves out of the pocket they break off routes and give him an outlet to throw the ball instead of running it himself every time.

They do this.....and TT easily starts having 300 yard passing games

I think the 300 yard game thing is very overrated and Taylor isn't that qb. But I do find the amount of under 200 yard games worriesome. This is a passing league and we are trying to do the exact opposite.

That's much closer. I might switch 1 and 2 same as 3 and 4. Newton might be the best going forward. That's coming from someone, who before this year, didn't think he'd ever "get it" and become elite, but could you imagine how much better of a season he would have had, if he had Benjamin to throw to. Eli might be a little too high he's 35 now. Man doesn't seem like he's a lot younger than Brady? The difference is only 3 1/2 years and I don't see the same drive to play as long as Brady is going to try to do. If Coughlin was still there, those two were real close, I think he would played longer.

I actually strongly considered those first couple of moves but I tried to avoid controversy. You may be right on Eli too. I always think of him as having about 6 years left (maybe 2 or 3 for Brady). That is just what I used when doing it. There may or may not be any truth to that.

Are you stating that if there was a redraft today you'd select Taylor before Luck?

I actually strongly considered those first couple of moves but I tried to avoid controversy. You may be right on Eli too. I always think of him as having about 6 years left (maybe 2 or 3 for Brady). That is just what I used when doing it. There may or may not be any truth to that.

Hear ya, if Eli and the new coach don't gel or the team isn't playoff ready I could see him retiring about the same time as Brady.(2-4 years)

Got nothing to do with the draft...it has to do with ranking of starting NFL QBs

How to you judge that? I'd judge it by who I'd want behind center leading my team next year and into the future.

He's not a top-10 guy right now and the jury is still out as to whether he'll improve from year 1 to 2 as starter. Hopefully Buffalo doesn't follow the same tired model of betting the farm on one guy without acquiring someone capable behind him.

One other guy who once played well was Nick Foles in 2013. He had 27 TDs versus 2 INT that year, but was traded before 2015 by PHI to STL. Some guys have a solid year and then never produce that way again.

Good points all. As the lowest price starter and ranked #10 probably best to cut him now. Aren't all QB's rated against the gold Standard Nick effing Foles ? or is it Steve Young ? i forget.

Agree NoSaint.

Agree C.Biscuit97, but one is a 10 year starter and you is a first year starter.

Yup and they both really learned the position under Roman. With Smith, you know what you get. You're not thrilled but you could do a lot worse.

I want Taylor to be better than Smith but we have no idea at this point.

Agree NoSaint.

The only worry is arrows end up pointing up on some guys and down on others. Kaepernick was the one year player you dump an Alex smith for recently enough.

If tyrod can play this good or a little better long term we are likely a perennial playoff contender

Edited by NoSaint

Why is he not that QB?

He could develop into one? he isnt a dink and dunk QB

I guess that's the main question. I don't think Taylor was a qb who put up monster passing stats in college.

The question is whether limited Taylor because he was learning or because he was fearful of him throwing too much. If we let Taylor throw 30 times again, the Ints might start to leap up.

At this point, his strengths are his deep ball and legs. Whether he can develop the other parts of a good qb is the question. If he can make progressions, not lock onto one receiver, and hit throws over the middle, he will be a top 10 qb easily.

The only worry is arrows end up pointing up on some guys and down on others. Kaepernick was the one year player you dump an Alex smith for recently enough.

If tyrod can play this good or a little better long term we are likely a perennial playoff contender

Yup. On paper, the upside of Taylor and Kaepernick is much higher than Smith. But when teams take away a major part of what makes Kaep and Taylor so dangerous (their legs), how will they handle it?

Smith is limited but he will never kill him team and can do enough to move the ball.