Megatron to retire? (Update- he is done)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Megatron is weighing the difference between having a net worth of $50M and sure health for the next 60 years of life and potentially $60M net worth. For these giant contract guys early retirement makes sense. Kind of surprised we haven't seen one of the top QBs bail out of the game early.

That is a great point.

Interesting. I can understand players wanting to retire earlier because of concussions, mainly LBs or guys that bang heads making tackles or blocking every play or QBs like Aikman and Steve Young. I can't really think of Megatron ever having a concussion though.

As usual, it's probably more about the money than anything else. That's a huge cap hit, and a boat load of dead money. This has been brewing since that contract was signed. Whatever happens, I wish him well.

Edited by Augie

He's not retiring. He's tired and worn out, and needs a month to heal. He'll change his mind once he and his family realizes it is a finite amount of years you can earn $14-18 million a year.

Once it's done, it's done.

as a fantasy, I would love to see him in Buffalo, but is not going to happen.

@NFLMedia

"We should take it as serious as we take Calvin’s play on the field." -- @Nate13Burleson on how seriously to take Calvin Johnson's comments

"When Calvin talks, he doesn’t throw anything out there for fluff. He means every word that he says." -- @Nate13Burleson

"I can guarantee anybody at home Calvin doesn’t care about the money." -- @Nate13Burleson on Calvin Johnson considering retirement

People were shocked when Patrick Willis and Chris Borland retired last year.

He's not retiring. He's tired and worn out, and needs a month to heal. He'll change his mind once he and his family realizes it is a finite amount of years you can earn $14-18 million a year.

Once it's done, it's done.

as a fantasy, I would love to see him in Buffalo, but is not going to happen.

Mario for Calvin?

@edwerderespn

Source says Calvin Johnson told his mother he wasn't sure wanted to play any more; cleaned out his #Lions locker unlike other vet players

Translation: sick of playing in a black hole of football. Unfortunately I don't think he'd come here for the same reason. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Translation: sick of playing in a black hole of football. Unfortunately I don't think he'd come here for the same reason.

Not unless he's totally cool with blocking most of the game. You never know!

@NFLMedia

People were shocked when Patrick Willis and Chris Borland retired last year.

I know there were some HGH rumors around Willis and some strong suspicions that he and some other players were allowed to retire rather than face suspensions and increased testing. I can't remember if Borland was on that list or not. I'm not saying that Megatron has the same issue, just explaining some other retirements.

Still, maybe he is just done. It happens.

Kind of surprised we haven't seen one of the top QBs bail out of the game early.

I completely agree. There are probably psychological reasons that make these guys stay.

Years ago when salaries were low, football players were more like working people. They needed their jobs.

Today, they have millions. If I had millions of dollars in the bank, a hot wife and some kids to come home to, I am thinking that I would not want to be hit by Marcel Dareus or Suh. I might not want to be hit by anybody, especially if I am already injured in some way, which imo most if not all of these guys are.

I have been looking at this since Borland and Willis retired. By coincidence, I wanted the Bills to draft both of them and posted about it.

Edited by Bill from NYC

• 4 weeks later...