Football Outsiders Names Roman Coordinator of the Year

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you freakin' kidding me!? After all of the IDIOT offensive play calls we've sen all year long!? GTFOOH.

Some good things, but waiting 'til week 17 to throw to Watkins, different formations and over the middle makes me question any accolades.

Add to that, too many bad play calling, 3 and outs, terrible 2 minute/hurry-up offense, no real comebacks, no 300 yard passing games, red zone failures and an offense that always played like it was a 7 point game (when down 21) were all very concerning.

If he learned anything I'm cautiously optimistic.

Interesting choice of words, but, I don't see whining. I see "we need to get better."

We're tied for 6th in the league in yards per play. We could use some improvement on 3rd downs, but overall I think our offense is clicking.

Our defense is where we need to 'get better'.

I've posted this elsewhere. The Bills offense was more productive than any that we've had since Bledsoe in 2002. It was more productive than any of Jim Kelly's first 3 seasons in the NFL. Roman deserves this award. However, we need to see smarter play calling next year. Less 30 yard bombs on 3rd and 2. Less screen plays at the line of scrimmage that end up going for zero yards. The defense also clearly needs to get better. Going from near first to near worst in the NFL cannot help the W/L totals. Having even an average defense helps the offense immensely.

I would love to be #1 rushing again. Look at the Jets game. 40/20 time of possession. Play some D and you win 99% of the time.

That is as dumb a comment as anyone could make. The bills Running backs combined for 62 yards vs. the Jets. TT had 51 (and a TD) from scrambles and they finally converted 3rd downs by throwing the ball over the middle or on simple routes almost always to Watkins.

Waited 17 weeks to see that!!!!!!

We don't know whether it's the specific play or Taylor's choice, but, please stop throwing low % passes 20-30 yards downfield on 3rd down. Get the first down!

& cut the "trick" plays by 70%.

I agree beerball. But what bothers me more is when we get 9 yds on 1st down & he runs a sweep. What's the point? If you are going to run, go straight ahead. If you want to be a little bold, then do play action & go downfield. A sweep just raises the % of times we wind up in 3rd &2 or 3. Move the sticks.

The last game , i saw some new plays like a quick flip to the RB going wide on a 3rd & short. It worked. Where was it all year long?

I agree beerball. But what bothers me more is when we get 9 yds on 1st down & he runs a sweep. What's the point? If you are going to run, go straight ahead. If you want to be a little bold, then do play action & go downfield. A sweep just raises the % of times we wind up in 3rd &2 or 3. Move the sticks.

The last game , i saw some new plays like a quick flip to the RB going wide on a 3rd & short. It worked. Where was it all year long?

I swear that happened way too many times and then no play called for third down. Also only 4 penalties vs. the Jets helped too.

Hope we don't lead The League in rushing next year if it means we'll have the second fewest passing attempts like we did this year. Only the Vikes with 28.4 had fewer pass attempts per game than The Bills' 29.1. Roman should try to get 4 - 8 more passing attempts per game. That's about one or two more drives. Having a few less 3-and-Outs will be the key to that.

What people keep greatly failing to realize that our passing game isn't just passing yards, its rushing yards by the QB. Yes, it counts to our rushing statistics, but a lot of those yards are gained on pass plays and are just as effective as making a completion. So while our passing numbers are lower, our overall effectiveness of our passing game was better than that. TT very much has to be accounted for in every drop back and he made a lot of plays with his legs. This is why I thought people were nuts when they kept claiming R. Wilson wasnt elite because his passing numbers weren't high enough (i am sure they are eating their words now as no one is playing as good as him right now, and its without Graham and Lynch).

Lets also not forget that we lost Harvin early who was having a big impact receiving but also opening up the field for the whole offense, Watkins missed games and played hurt for a large chunk of the season, Woods and Hogan apparently played hurt and missed some time too, and Clay missed time and played hurt. Furthermore, McCoy, who is a big weapon in the receiving game also missed a lot of time and played hurt along with Karlos who was also very dangerous recieing weapon this year.

All of that combined with the injuries to the OL, first year starting QB, new offense for whole team to learn, 3 way QB battle in preseason limiting reps for TT, etc and there is a LOT to like about this offense this past year and moving forward. I don't think many teams were hit as bad as we were on offense, if any, and yet we still put a lot of points up and won 8 games. Look at teams like Dallas, SF, Pitt, Balt, Indy, etc that struggled massively this year once they lost less key personnel than we did. Pitt almost missed playoffs because Big Ben missed a few games. Now imagine if Pitt lost all their RBs too, not just the starter, Antonio, Bryant, and Miller at the same time...and the OL. They wouldn't win 8 games, I can promise you that. Roman still found away to keep this offense scoring enough to win games...some we did, some we didn't, that was more on the D than anything else.

Roman did an excellent job overall and there is really a lot to love about this offense moving forward. If we can add a big WR opposite Watkins, this team could be one of the best offenses in the league next year easily assuming we don't lose everyone to injury again.

Edited by Alphadawg7

What people keep greatly failing to realize that our passing game isn't just passing yards, its rushing yards by the QB. Yes, it counts to our rushing statistics, but a lot of those yards are gained on pass plays and are just as effective as making a completion. So while our passing numbers are lower, our overall effectiveness of our passing game was better than that. TT very much has to be accounted for in every drop back and he made a lot of plays with his legs. This is why I thought people were nuts when they kept claiming R. Wilson wasnt elite because his passing numbers weren't high enough (i am sure they are eating their words now as no one is playing as good as him right now, and its without Graham and Lynch).

Lets also not forget that we lost Harvin early who was having a big impact receiving but also opening up the field for the whole offense, Watkins missed games and played hurt for a large chunk of the season, Woods and Hogan apparently played hurt and missed some time too, and Clay missed time and played hurt. Furthermore, McCoy, who is a big weapon in the receiving game also missed a lot of time and played hurt along with Karlos who was also very dangerous recieing weapon this year.

All of that combined with the injuries to the OL, first year starting QB, new offense for whole team to learn, 3 way QB battle in preseason limiting reps for TT, etc and there is a LOT to like about this offense this past year and moving forward. I don't think many teams were hit as bad as we were on offense, if any, and yet we still put a lot of points up and won 8 games. Look at teams like Dallas, SF, Pitt, Balt, Indy, etc that struggled massively this year once they lost less key personnel than we did. Pitt almost missed playoffs because Big Ben missed a few games. Now imagine if Pitt lost all their RBs too, not just the starter, Antonio, Bryant, and Miller at the same time...and the OL. They wouldn't win 8 games, I can promise you that. Roman still found away to keep this offense scoring enough to win games...some we did, some we didn't, that was more on the D than anything else.

Roman did an excellent job overall and there is really a lot to love about this offense moving forward. If we can add a big WR opposite Watkins, this team could be one of the best offenses in the league next year easily assuming we don't lose everyone to injury again.

But all those new formations we saw week 17, the 3rd down conversions, short passes with only one viable receiver (the one ignored the first half of the season so much that he went public with his discontent) and a running game that was lousy. I can't understand how it all came together in the final week, in less then ideal conditions against a good defense.

Oh and a team that only played well when ahead and showed no ability to come back the second half and ran a putrid 2-minute rill....... vs. NE, KC, Wash (still lost by 10), NYG, Phil......

That is why I'm not sold on Roman at all.

1-6: GREG ROMAN WITH JOHN MURPHY (18:49)

Good interview with Roman. Among the subjects discussed were the progress of offense this year, how the will move forward with Tyrod, getting named as coordinator of the year, and rumors of tension between the coaching staff and the front office.

Forgot to add that he's not getting any calls for HC gigs, so it looks as if he'll be back next season.

I think Roman did a whaley of a job overall with the offense and especially with TT. He deserves a lot of credit.

I do think, however, his three main weaknesses, not getting the ball to Sammy, and micromanaging the two minute drill and getting plays in way too late all the time were unforced errors and really detracted from what could have been an excellent first year. He was terrible at all three of those and it hurt us badly. The Sammy one he must have finally realized by the Jets game. In the off season I imagine he will work on the hurry up game and give TT more leeway, which he should have done this year. The getting the plays in way too late is something that he better work hard at because it hurt us bad a lot of times.

I agree with you on your two points regarding the timing of those long throws and the over use of trick plays that accomplished little.

But overall Roman did a terrific job in coaching TT and understanding where he was as a player and development. It was evident that TT's play book was limited and he was handled cautiously. That was the right approach to take. Next year the play book will be expanded and the whole field will be used in the passing game in comparison to mostly the safer sideline passes.

Roman demonstrated a lot of wisdom, discipline and caution in his coaching and play calling. He was the perfect mentor for a young and emerging qb. The bottom line is that Roman was the right coordinator at the right time.for this franchise. He was a terrific hire for us.

Minus the head scratchers where he'd throw a pass to tyrod after seeing him injured on that drive, roll ej out against his natural throwing motion on 4th down or ignore Sammy for long stretches.... The two minute drill debacles and issues getting plays in without headsets...

When Roman is having a good stretch he's excellent but if talking best in the league I think there are some blemishes that give me pause. Those a couple memorable things that jump to mind.

Edited by NoSaint

I think Roman did a whaley of a job overall with the offense and especially with TT. He deserves a lot of credit.

I do think, however, his three main weaknesses, not getting the ball to Sammy, and micromanaging the two minute drill and getting plays in way too late all the time were unforced errors and really detracted from what could have been an excellent first year. He was terrible at all three of those and it hurt us badly. The Sammy one he must have finally realized by the Jets game. In the off season I imagine he will work on the hurry up game and give TT more leeway, which he should have done this year. The getting the plays in way too late is something that he better work hard at because it hurt us bad a lot of times.

He addressed that by saying they need to really make improvements regarding situational football including their two minute offense. He chalked a lot of the 2 minute struggles up to Tyrod's inexperience and said he's already formulating plans on how they can improve.

Imagine our rushing stats if our defense was keeping teams out of the end zone. Just imagine 1/2 the touchdowns were just field goals. We would have been dominant. I'd love to see a dominant D. Thinking 2016 the defense gets back to a top 10 d & we cut the touchdowns against way down.

I'm a little shocked he hasn't been getting any calls for HC. He took a team that was bottom of the barrel on offense with no confirmed starter at QB and no 1st round draft pick to get one, eventually installed a 6th round pick who had never started an NFL game, and got to 1st in rushing and actually slightly above average offense. Which was what he hoped for, and could have been a playoff team if we just had the defense show up.

Minus the head scratchers where he'd throw a pass to tyrod after seeing him injured on that drive, roll ej out against his natural throwing motion on 4th down or ignore Sammy for long stretches.... The two minute drill debacles and issues getting plays in without headsets...

When Roman is having a good stretch he's excellent but if talking best in the league I think there are some blemishes that give me pause. Those a couple memorable things that jump to mind.

The head scratching plays you referred to also had me puzzled, especially with EJ taking the snaps and TT playing as a wideout. Trying to be too cute got to the point of being ridiculous.

I agree with you that I wouldn't consider Roman ranking near the top of OCs. But my stance regarding him is that he was the right OC to work with TT. He demonstrated an understanding of who TT was as a player, his limitations and the stage of development he was at. It would be fair to say (as you did) that he wasn't the premier OC in the league but for us he was the right person for this team.

I'm confident that TT will work hard this offseason so he will be better prepared to work with a thicker playbook that has more plays for the whole field instead of segments of the field.

Edited by JohnC

I don't know, man-- I think coaching was key. We pretty much had the same o-line, with the exception of an upgrade at one guard position. We had pretty good RB's in Spiller and Jackson last year (compared with the hodgepodge of injured guys we used this year).

The reason we were so effective running the ball, in my view, was based primarily on coaching. Roman's run calls were unpredictable, and utilized the strengths of our players. Contrast that with Hackett and Marrone, who had our huge linemen try to zone block, and basically would have 1 or 2 basic running plays.

I thought the success was primarily due to Roman's trick plays. I felt as though defenses though they could take a couple of plays off now and then and just wait for the trick play call that would backfire to kill the drive.