Football Outsiders Names Roman Coordinator of the Year

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-6: GREG ROMAN WITH JOHN MURPHY (18:49)

Good interview with Roman. Among the subjects discussed were the progress of offense this year, how the will move forward with Tyrod, getting named as coordinator of the year, and rumors of tension between the coaching staff and the front office.

Forgot to add that he's not getting any calls for HC gigs, so it looks as if he'll be back next season.

sounds like he's pretty focused on becoming a HC

I don't agree with him being coordinator of the year...There have been many questionable play calls. Never saw a middle screen...

At the beginning of the Jets game, he had the number one rushing offense and passed it the first 6 plays (I believe that they were 3 and outs). It was a windy, raw day - perfect to run the ball, but we tried passing at first.

I think that he did well, but not THAT well.

I don't agree with him being coordinator of the year...There have been many questionable play calls. Never saw a middle screen...

At the beginning of the Jets game, he had the number one rushing offense and passed it the first 6 plays (I believe that they were 3 and outs). It was a windy, raw day - perfect to run the ball, but we tried passing at first.

He implemented a new system with a new team with a 1st time starter at QB and several other new players with key roles on offense. The Bills led the league in rushing and went from almost dead last to 13th in the league in total offense. Name a coordinator who did a better job.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Again I'm perplexed. Watch other teams and the motion, the ability to get receivers the ball in space and run a two minute offense and then the Bills and what looked as vanilla an offense as there was. As said every game looked like a 7 point game one way or another as there was no real panic or change in philosophy (outside the 3 win they dominated vs. Indy & Miami X 2)

He did not do a bad job, just failed the following:

1. Refused to target Watkins the first half of the season. Still underutilized the second half
  2. In game management and adjustments below average (KC)
  3. Tendency to let other teams back into games or stick around due to playcalling (NYJ x 2, KC worst examples)
  4. Formations looked the same 16 weeks (until the Jet game)
  5. Awful 2 minute offense
  6. Inability to come from behind (outside Jax game an eventual loss thanks to 2 minute offense)
  7. Fourth down & short yardage calls
  8. 3 & outs

And for the day they showed they couldn't run the ball even when they tried.... Outside TT they had 33 rushes for 62 yards..... They were going nowhere rushing the football.

Of all the issues with Roman, you choose the first two possessions vs. the Jets?

Edited by Billsfan1972

Must have done something right in the game. The Bills had the ball for over 39 minutes and won the game against a team with way more to play for. Even the best coordinators are going to have questionable calls during the course of the year.

So an OC with a team that leads the league, or is close to the league lead in 3 and outs is the Coordinator of the Year? Wow.

Bills fans have so much hate, it's pathetic.

When the media blasts us, people like you come here crying. When the media praises us, you come here crying.