Whaley & Rex End of Season Presser; 1 Year to Fix the Team?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone didn't like Whaley's comment--

Whaley on rumors of discord: "It's tabloid reporting when things don't go well. Controversy sells. We've been unified from day one."

@bytimgraham

16 years of tabloid reporting.

If they're not meshing and working well together they did an academy award-winning job of faking it today. Still, Whaley can take it out of "victim" mode...I am not interested in hearing him intimate that Tim Graham is just making **** up because they're not winning enough.

I agree what Sully and Bucky do borders on trolling sometimes. But I also think they come about their opinions honestly. I don't for a second believe Tim Graham invents sources.

I DO, however, think it's a bad look when people at OBD start crying that unflattering reports are just "tabloid" writing. That sounds like the insane anti-media clown posse we have posting here every day.

For once, I think Whaley did a great job in front of the microphones today. He shouldn't cheapen it by acting like a victim.

If they're not meshing and working well together they did an academy award-winning job of faking it today. Still, Whaley can take it out of "victim" mode...I am not interested in hearing him intimate that Tim Graham is just making **** up because they're not winning enough.

I agree what Sully and Bucky do borders on trolling sometimes. But I also think they come about their opinions honestly. I don't for a second believe Tim Graham invents sources.

I DO, however, think it's a bad look when people at OBD start crying that unflattering reports are just "tabloid" writing. That sounds like the insane anti-media clown posse we have posting here every day.

For once, I think Whaley did a great job in front of the microphones today. He shouldn't cheapen it by acting like a victim.

Probably true but it has to get exhausting for them. Working in an organization surrounded by negativity can get really tiresome and demoralizing (speaking from experience). Tabloid journalism was the wrong phrase - he should've said pandering or even mongering.

It's embarrassing that a city with 2 pro teams can't do better than the media we have. I get more insight from this board than any Buffalo media member.

I think you owe the board an apology for mentioning us in the same sentence as the Buffalo media

I disagree to an extent.

First off....the other day Whaley said they needed another playmaker on D.

I think that would be a LB.......I think Rex would like to have a David Harris type ILB.

I also think that they will be looking for a NT and a 3-4 DE.

I think Mario, Kyle and Bradham will be gone and that Preston Brown might end up as a reserve.

The players they have can do it in stretches but undersized players at those DL spots in particular are more likely to wear down and get injured so I think they will address them.

They might stand pat at safety..............they actually do like the physical ability of Duke and Meeks.

Graham ended up getting posterized a few times but he actually had a really good year and was the most active player on D.

I also think that they may pick up Calvin Pace to team with Lawson if he's as cheap as he should be.

If something were to happen to Hughes then Pace can actually rush the passer a little.......which Manny can't.

Kyle isn't going anywhere.

QUESTION: __________________________________

Answer #1 - "that's something we have to look at"

Answer #2 - " we will sit down and discuss all evaluations"

Answer #3- " we are encouraged but not satisfied"

thanks for coming.

#4 - we'll have to go back at watch the film on that one

I disagree to an extent.

First off....the other day Whaley said they needed another playmaker on D.

I think that would be a LB.......I think Rex would like to have a David Harris type ILB.

I also think that they will be looking for a NT and a 3-4 DE.

I think Mario, Kyle and Bradham will be gone and that Preston Brown might end up as a reserve.

The players they have can do it in stretches but undersized players at those DL spots in particular are more likely to wear down and get injured so I think they will address them.

They might stand pat at safety..............they actually do like the physical ability of Duke and Meeks.

Graham ended up getting posterized a few times but he actually had a really good year and was the most active player on D.

I also think that they may pick up Calvin Pace to team with Lawson if he's as cheap as he should be.

If something were to happen to Hughes then Pace can actually rush the passer a little.......which Manny can't.

Sorry but any positive mention of Duke is beyond me ....

#4 - we'll have to go back at watch the film on that one

Sorry but any positive mention of Duke is beyond me ....

He struggled with high profile blown coverages but he has exceptional athletic ability, he's physical for the position and he has shown some playmaking ability.

I'd like to see them add a vet like Weddle.......but Graham was good and if AW is still under contract going into free agency the Bills may need to find improvement from within at safety.

Regarding complaints of Tyrod's passing yards per game... keep in mind he gained 568 yards on the ground, second most on the team. And the team as a whole led (or close to) the league in rushing. Tyrod didn't need to throw 300 yards a game to be productive. His total production was about 260 yards per game between passing and rushing. Compare to someone like Cousins, who so many are in love with... he averaged 260 ypg passing, and 3 ypg rushing.

Do you want TT running 5-8 times to get 30-40 yards a game? I for one don't want him exposed to a big hit because his frame isn't all that big.

I'd rather have a classic pocket passer who can work the entire field but isn't a running threat than a running QB who weighs 220 that stays away from the middle of the field. Throwing 6 INTs in a season where almost two-thirds of your passes are short or sideline throws isn't a massive accomplishment.

Are you a union employee?

No...I actually work near them and have positive and negative thoughts about unions.

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: GM Doug Whaley calls reports of a rift 'tabloid reporting' ... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/04/248713/

"I think that is tabloid reporting when things don’t go well," Whaley said. "People are out there just to take create some friction and just throw darts at the board and if it is right then 'I was first to report it.' I mean I understand your guys' business. Controversy sells but we have been unified from Day One. We have no problems, I haven’t had any problems with anybody on the staff. I think our offensive staff has done a wonderful job. I've got complete confidence in the defensive staff, our head coach and I know the Pegula’s do as well, and I know Russ" Brandon "does. So that to us it is one of those where you just tune out the noise and know it is part of the business."

Do you want TT running 5-8 times to get 30-40 yards a game? I for one don't want him exposed to a big hit because his frame isn't all that big.

I'd rather have a classic pocket passer who can work the entire field but isn't a running threat than a running QB who weighs 220 that stays away from the middle of the field. Throwing 6 INTs in a season where almost two-thirds of your passes are short or sideline throws isn't a massive accomplishment.

Russell Wilson 5'11'' 203 lbs vs Tyrod Taylor 6'0'' 221lbs. He isn't that small. He just isn't Cam Newton 6'6'' 260 lbs and runs as fast as Tyrod.

If the Bills finish building a proper offensive line I'd actually love to see Tyrod running the ball more often in designed sets. Think of his speed and what made him so successful at times is because team either had to spy him which took away a defensive player or they ignored him and were burnt by his running.

Spread the offense like Gailey used to do and then run the read-option with Taylor-McCoy. Just not all the time. The Bills did a good job of mixing things up with Tyrod running it this past year.

Russell Wilson 5'11'' 203 lbs vs Tyrod Taylor 6'0'' 221lbs. He isn't that small. He just isn't Cam Newton 6'6'' 260 lbs and runs as fast as Tyrod.

If the Bills finish building a proper offensive line I'd actually love to see Tyrod running the ball more often in designed sets. Think of his speed and what made him so successful at times is because team either had to spy him which took away a defensive player or they ignored him and were burnt by his running.

Spread the offense like Gailey used to do and then run the read-option with Taylor-McCoy. Just not all the time. The Bills did a good job of mixing things up with Tyrod running it this past year.

Not every frame is created durability-wise equal, even if height and weight are comparable.

When TT went down after that awkward tackle at the end of a long run in Tennessee, it changed their season because they lost at home to CIN and in the UK to JAC.

The main thing with TT running so frequently, besides his exposure, is that he tucks it and runs far too often. Designed runs are one thing, yet I'm thinking far too many of his rushing attempts were when he didn't see an open receiver. In 14 games he ran it 104 times, or about 7 per game.

Not every frame is created durability-wise equal, even if height and weight are comparable.

When TT went down after that awkward tackle at the end of a long run in Tennessee, it changed their season because they lost at home to CIN and in the UK to JAC.

The main thing with TT running so frequently, besides his exposure, is that he tucks it and runs far too often. Designed runs are one thing, yet I'm thinking far too many of his rushing attempts were when he didn't see an open receiver. In 14 games he ran it 104 times, or about 7 per game.

Do you think he'll get better with experience? This was his 1st season as a starting QB. I think he showed improvement during the season. Hopefully that continues. As far as running when not seeing an open receiver, it's either run or throw it away...he chooses to run