2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's hoping they see/get value in one of the earlier-round QBs, and IF it doesn't happen, they resist reaching Day 3 and take a flier on a mobile UDFA. Marquise Williams, anyone?

never heard of him

Screw it, if Cardale Jones is in the 3rd or 4th round, I would take a flier on him, he may be inaccurate at times, but I think he could be a solid pro QB.

just say no to "potential"

just say no to "potential"

Right, because lord knows drafting 19th (or 49th) there will be plenty of opportunities to pick a plug-and-play, sure-fire star QB, so let's just wait until one of those guys falls to us before we draft a QB. Great strategy.

No....no .....NO to "Sack"enberg and to Connor Cook. Hogan's arm is not strong enough for the weather up here. Love Lynch and Wentz but both will be gone. The only other guys are (IMO) Dak Prescott and Brandon Doughty but they would have to show they can read and react. Can't push for a QB if unless one falls in to your lap ---> Lynch and/or Wentz. Draft best player available. Solid talent in first two rounds.... don't reach

Screw it, if Cardale Jones is in the 3rd or 4th round, I would take a flier on him, he may be inaccurate at times, but I think he could be a solid pro QB.

I'll buy that. :thumbsup: 100 %.

No....no .....NO to "Sack"enberg and to Connor Cook. Hogan's arm is not strong enough for the weather up here. Love Lynch and Wentz but both will be gone. The only other guys are (IMO) Dak Prescott and Brandon Doughty but they would have to show they can read and react. Can't push for a QB if unless one falls in to your lap ---> Lynch and/or Wentz. Draft best player available. Solid talent in first two rounds.... don't reach

I'll buy that. :thumbsup: 100 %.

I have a feeling the Bills will pull the trigger on Cook or Hackenberg. No one will understand it.

He's gonna try to rejuvenate his career somewhere...why not Buffalo?

There are other teams worse off at QB than Buffalo (hard to believe, but there are). They would give RG3 a large multi-year contract that the Bills would choose not to meet.

never heard of him

Mobile North Carolina QB who played lights out in 2014, sagged a bit this year with a dinged up team.

From 2014:

QB Marquise Williams, North Carolina: The Tar Heels' standout quarterback is playing the position better than anyone in the ACC, including the reigning Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston. Williams has accounted for 18 total touchdowns (nine passing; nine rushing) in the Tar Heels' last five games while helping the team to a 4-1 mark during that span. Most importantly, Williams has given the Tar Heels' offense a spark with his explosive skills as a dual-threat playmaker and helped the team become bowl eligible for the third straight season. Although Williams' game isn't ideally suited for the NFL, the fact that he has accounted for 32 total scores in 2014 will certainly raise eyebrows in the scouting community.

Really good read on Cardale for those interested

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2016/2/13/10968644/cardale-jones-ohio-state-2016-nfl-draft-prospects-scouting-report?utm_campaign=landgrantholyland&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

This probably sums it up:

With an athlete and player of Jones' caliber often the biggest obstacle is just putting them in a position to not think and let their true ability take over. Luckily for Jones, his true ability is akin to a starting NFL quarterback, and the parts of his game that need serious work are mostly related to experience.

Remember: Jones has literally started 10 games in his last four years. It makes sense that his decision making is prone to mistakes or slow reads, because he hasn't even played the equivalent to one entire college football season yet! Whether or not Jones can solve these mental hurdles and become a complete quarterback is yet to be determined, but luckily everything Jones struggles with can be taught. The same cannot be said for his size and arm strength.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I wish I could like the kid but I just can't. He's got all the physical skills you could ever ask for in a QB. Unfortunately I don't think he has the mental acumen to handle the position in the NFL.

Mobile North Carolina QB who played lights out in 2014, sagged a bit this year with a dinged up team.

From 2014:

QB Marquise Williams, North Carolina: The Tar Heels' standout quarterback is playing the position better than anyone in the ACC, including the reigning Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston. Williams has accounted for 18 total touchdowns (nine passing; nine rushing) in the Tar Heels' last five games while helping the team to a 4-1 mark during that span. Most importantly, Williams has given the Tar Heels' offense a spark with his explosive skills as a dual-threat playmaker and helped the team become bowl eligible for the third straight season. Although Williams' game isn't ideally suited for the NFL, the fact that he has accounted for 32 total scores in 2014 will certainly raise eyebrows in the scouting community.

A bit of a red flag there

A bit of a red flag there

I'm not a fan but he is missing the biggest red flag of all: the Buffalo Barbarian endorsement. :)

I wish I could like the kid but I just can't. He's got all the physical skills you could ever ask for in a QB. Unfortunately I don't think he has the mental acumen to handle the position in the NFL.

I don't think he will ever amount to anything special on the next level but like 90% of drafted Qbs won't. In the 3rd or later, I think you draft for potential and upside. He does as much as any qb in the draft.

Jones screams developmental qb. You have your 2016 starter and potentially a backup. This is the type of qb you need to develop. People can argue about the talents of Losman and Manuel but the Bills, next to the Browns, have been the worst team in the NFL at developing Qbs. They have no gameplan or idea what they are doing. It's time to really start developing guys.

Baltimore did us a huge favor in developing Taylor. Because if we drafted him, we would have totally screw it up.

Honorable mention must go to Cody Kessler... He's actually a very good prospect... My second favorite in this draff.... Some team is gonna get a STEAL with that kid

It's possible. He looked very good at times over his career. He was probably a victim of the turmoil (and awful coaching) that afflicted the SC program the last few years. I have not read anything about which round he is projected to go.