2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardale Jones is such a bum. So is Kevin Hogan.

Jones has intriguing tools so he is an interesting guy to develop. Odds are he won't amount to anything in the pros. But I get the intrigued.

Hogan is, at best, an average backup qb. He was Stanford's Trent Dilfer. He played better this year but he has hit his ceiling. I really don't see an upside with him.

Mayock's description of the QB class on the call of this Senior Bowl was:

There is a top 4 who are all in the mix to be first rounders - Wentz, Goff, Lynch and Cook.

Then there is Jones and Hackenburg who are wild cards who will be all over boards across the league.

Then there is a scrum of mid to late round guys who figure to be AJ McCarron types who could sit learn and develop into at worst solid back ups.

I think that is pretty much right.

Edited by GunnerBill

Mayock's description of the QB class on the call of this Senior Bowl was:

There is a top 4 who are all in the mix to be first rounders - Wentz, Goff, Lynch and Cook.

Then there is Jones and Hackenburg who are wild cards who will be all over boards across the league.

Then there is a scrum of mid to late round guys who figure to be AJ McCarron types who could sit learn and develop into at worst solid back ups.

I think that is pretty much right.

That's a very fair assessment. You just never know with Qbs. And I personally don't get the Lynch hype. Besides his height, I was very underwhelmed by him. Seems like a gimmicky system qb.

That's a very fair assessment. You just never know with Qbs. And I personally don't get the Lynch hype. Besides his height, I was very underwhelmed by him. Seems like a gimmicky system qb.

I agree. I wouldn't touch Lynch. But someone is going to take him in the 1st.

I agree. I wouldn't touch Lynch. But someone is going to take him in the 1st.

I will admit I only saw one game of his which was his bowl game and he was horrendous. I have never seen such a big kid where his helmet halfway over his face he looked like a ninja turtle out there. Perhaps with a new helmet he will see the field better and become accurate? Stay away IMO

I will admit I only saw one game of his which was his bowl game and he was horrendous. I have never seen such a big kid where his helmet halfway over his face he looked like a ninja turtle out there. Perhaps with a new helmet he will see the field better and become accurate? Stay away IMO

You only draft a QB in the 1st rnd if you need him to start that year, that being said 1st round should be DL Spence or Reed or LB Ragland if lucky. 2nd Round we NEED a Saftey, jermey cash(SUPER BEAST) or Mills or Kj miller, or an NFL ready LB/DE depending who we get 1st. if we go LB/DL instead of S in 2nd then in the 3rd we grab FS Mills or Kj Miller or SS Killbrew (tackling beast great in run game) or if were lucky Jeremy Cash (who most likely wont be cuz hes considered the best S in the draft and hes projected to go in the 2nd) then at the HIGHEST we grab a development QB like Adams in the 4th round but id much rather an NFL ready RT or WR2 like 6-3 McRoberts who has maddd accolades, wonder how fast he is tho

http://www.seniorbowl.com/player-view.php?p=1297&squad=South

or WR Braxton Miller

Edited by Marty McFly

I'd trade up for Wentz.

I know full well Taylor made some splashy plays.

I know if Taylor were a rookie his first year campaign would have been promising.

I like Taylor.

I want Taylor to start next year.

That said...Wentz is a big guy with a rocket arm. There's no throw Wentz can't make.

Also, I think we'll draft Wentz. There's already buzz out there. But the buzz would t be enough to make me think the interest was genuine but for the Pegulas. Kim and Terry don't have to know a ton about football to recognize we've been inconsistent and sucked since Kelly retired. They don't have to be geniuses to notice that the good teams have GREAT QBs. Think about that...good teams have GREAT QBs. You can't be a good team these days without a great QB.

So, is Taylor a great QB? Right now, no. Could he develop? Yes. But he has a better chance imo of being what he is now than he does of imensely improving. Taylor's a vet after all.

So I'm left with this...do I want to continue with Taylor? Yes. Do I want to give myself some insurance by drafting a QB high? Yes. Is Wentz worth additional picks to trade up to get? If he's a franchise QB then you have to ask yourself this, is a couple 1st round picks and some mid round picks worth it for a guy who could settle your most important position for 15 years? Think about that...15 years! If we draft Wentz and hit on him, that's 15 years of good football!!!

But what about Taylor? What if we draft Wentz and Taylor turns out to be good? We trade one of them.

But for those still not convinced on trading up for a QB, I'll leave you with this...if a drafted QB can give us 15 years, what can Taylor give us? Well, I'd say we could plan on Taylor giving us at most about 8 years if he pans out because of his age, his playing style, and the fact that his wheels will eventually succumb to Father Time.

To me, targeting Wentz and trading up is a no brainier.

I know a lot of fans differ in their opinion, but it's all about winning and some people see things differently.

I'd trade up for Wentz.

I know if Taylor were a rookie his first year campaign would have been promising.

I like Taylor.

That said...Wentz is a big guy with a rocket arm. There's no throw Wentz can't make.

Also, I think we'll draft Wentz. There's already buzz out there. But the buzz would t be enough to make me think the interest was genuine but for the Pegulas. Kim and Terry don't have to know a ton about football to recognize we've been inconsistent and sucked since Kelly retired. They don't have to be geniuses to notice that the good teams have GREAT QBs. Think about that...good teams have GREAT QBs. You can't be a good team these days without a great QB.

So, is Taylor a great QB? Right now, no. Could he develop? Yes. But he has a better chance imo of being what he is now than he does of imensely improving. Taylor's a vet after all.

So I'm left with this...do I want to continue with Taylor? Yes. Do I want to give myself some insurance by drafting a QB high? Yes. Is Wentz worth additional picks to trade up to get? If he's a franchise QB then you have to ask yourself this, is a couple 1st round picks and some mid round picks worth it for a guy who could settle your most important position for 15 years? Think about that...15 years! If we draft Wentz and hit on him, that's 15 years of good football!!!

But what about Taylor? What if we draft Wentz and Taylor turns out to be good? We trade one of them.

But for those still not convinced on trading up for a QB, I'll leave you with this...if a drafted QB can give us 15 years, what can Taylor give us? Well, I'd say we could plan on Taylor giving us at most about 8 years if he pans out because of his age, his playing style, and the fact that his wheels will eventually succumb to Father Time.

I know a lot of fans differ in their opinion, but it's all about winning and some people see things differently.

I don't disagree with the logic. I haven't seen enough of Wentz to know whether I agree that he is good enough to warrant a trade up (I suspect you'd have to get to #1) and I still mean to find time to go and watch more of him. But I doubt he is there at #19 so if the Bills really do want him (and it seems to me the interest is genuine) then they will need to trade.

You're really not getting it. There is widespread consensus among teams and independent sources regarding the projected draft position of most players. If a team picks a player ahead of projection, that doesn't mean the projection was bad.

I disagree - I will bet that even for just the first 32 picks that there are at least 25 (out of 32) teams that have unique lists. To be sure, that early in the draft there would be significant overlap,but I'd bet that among the first 32 on each team's draft board that there are 40-45 players represented.

Wentz won't make it past 5. Jerruh is salivating over his QB of the next decade.

The media hype surrounding this kid is unreal these days. Not even a month ago he was a fringe 1st rounder and a possible 2nd or even 3rd round prospect. In just a matter of weeks he's been propelled to a lock to go in the first round and possible top 5 pick.

Edited by Bangarang

The media hype surrounding this kid is unreal these days. Not even a month ago he was a fringe 1st rounder and a possible 2nd or even 3rd round prospect. In just a matter of weeks he's been propelled to a lock first in the first round and possible top 5 pick.

Every bloody year, always the same.

I don't know if it's just "Big Draft" media creating their own content by hyping these kids up or if the NFL really is that weird.

The 3 guys with the most hype I've got graded as 2nd, 2nd and 4th/5th. Maybe I'm just WAAAAY off in my assessments.

The media hype surrounding this kid is unreal these days. Not even a month ago he was a fringe 1st rounder and a possible 2nd or even 3rd round prospect. In just a matter of weeks he's been propelled to a lock first in the first round and possible top 5 pick.

Reminds me of Blaine Gabbert when Suck for Luck said he wasn't coming out. I guess there has to be a hot high 1st round QB in every draft even if there isn't one.

The 3 guys with the most hype I've got graded as 2nd, 2nd and 4th/5th. Maybe I'm just WAAAAY off in my assessments.

Is Lynch the 4th/5th rounder?

Personally I see enough in Goff to believe he is a first round Quarterback. Cook I want to but in reality I think his play this year was disappointing and he is borderline 1st / 2nd round now for me. Lynch I wouldn't take early - no way. And Wentz I honestly havent see enough of to knowm

Wentz won't make it past 5. Jerruh is salivating over his QB of the next decade.

but he will have rg3 and manziel? why draft one at all?

I'd trade up for Wentz.

I like Taylor.

You really have thought this out.

Regardless of your conclusions, very well done Sir.

Is Lynch the 4th/5th rounder?

Personally I see enough in Goff to believe he is a first round Quarterback. Cook I want to but in reality I think his play this year was disappointing and he is borderline 1st / 2nd round now for me. Lynch I wouldn't take early - no way. And Wentz I honestly havent see enough of to know.

Yeah, Lynch is that guy. I just don't see it with him. He's tall, he's got a decent arm, okay athlete for his size, shows flashes of utter brilliance. Traits I can buy in on as a developmental guy.

Just think he's a bit slow with his process, bad habits in the pocket (back foot throws kill me), throwing motion is better than '14 but needs work, lot of telegraphed throws. I think he just might lack the football IQ needed to succeed at the next level. If there's one QB I'd love to interview, it's Lynch. I'd take Prescott over him at this point.

I'm charting Goff tomorrow so I'll finish him up. I love his feet in the pocket. I'm not convinced he's a guy that the Bills would target if he was on the board but I'd put him in the conversation at 19 along with Wentz. With Cook, I just think he is what he is at this point. He'll be a high variance QB with a lot of ups and downs. I think he's little more than a spot starter type, wouldn't hate him as Tyrod's backup long term. Just wouldn't take him before the 3rd.

Goff is so fluid in the pocket he is leaps and bounds above Cook and Lynch. His release is smooth and the ball comes off his hand really owell. I haven't seen any of Wentz so I won't compare the two but Goff is far and away superior to the other guys.

Also no chance he gets to 19.

Yeah, Lynch is that guy. I just don't see it with him. He's tall, he's got a decent arm, okay athlete for his size, shows flashes of utter brilliance. Traits I can buy in on as a developmental guy.

Just think he's a bit slow with his process, bad habits in the pocket (back foot throws kill me), throwing motion is better than '14 but needs work, lot of telegraphed throws. I think he just might lack the football IQ needed to succeed at the next level. If there's one QB I'd love to interview, it's Lynch. I'd take Prescott over him at this point.

I'm charting Goff tomorrow so I'll finish him up. I love his feet in the pocket. I'm not convinced he's a guy that the Bills would target if he was on the board but I'd put him in the conversation at 19 along with Wentz. With Cook, I just think he is what he is at this point. He'll be a high variance QB with a lot of ups and downs. I think he's little more than a spot starter type, wouldn't hate him as Tyrod's backup long term. Just wouldn't take him before the 3rd.

Fair enough I'd say. I agree with your analysis on Lynch. Screams bust to me for pretty much the same reasons. I know it is a bit of projection on Cook. I want to believe that "good Connor" will eventually take over and "bad Connor" will disappear. Projecting him playing at his best he is a first rounder for me.... but the inconsistency and the bone headed plays worry me - as does the lack of progress his senior year. I wouldn't want him to start day 1 anywhere.... but I do think he has the tools to be an excellent NFL quarterback someday.

Goff is so fluid in the pocket he is leaps and bounds above Cook and Lynch. His release is smooth and the ball comes off his hand really owell. I haven't seen any of Wentz so I won't compare the two but Goff is far and away superior to the other guys.

Also no chance he gets to 19.

I think Goff will be the first QB taken by the Browns at #2 unless someone jumps up to #1 for Wentz. Goff could really work in a Hue Jackson offense.

Edited by GunnerBill