2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

Jones? I agree, he won't be making it to the 4th round. He has the highest ceiling out of any QB in this draft. He was a benefit of circumstance last year and a victim of it this year. If he gets drafted into a good situation (Arizona, Dallas, New Orleans) id bet on him becoming a top 10 quarterback in the next 3 years.

He would be a good fit here but I'm not sure how high they will be willing to draft a QB. If we took him in the 3rd I'd be pumped.

if I had to guess, the Bills will give Cardale a 4th round grade, won't reach, and a team with fewer needs at other positions will take him in the 3rd.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if I had to guess, the Bills will give Cardale a 4th round grade, won't reach, and a team with fewer needs at other positions will take him in the 3rd.

lets hope someone else grabs him.

I know you like him because he went to your beloved Buckeyes, but Cardale is just a physical talent with out the QB ability. Tired of guys with potential that never produce.

lets hope someone else grabs him.

I know you like him because he went to your beloved Buckeyes, but Cardale is just a physical talent with out the QB ability. Tired of guys with potential that never produce.

that's not why I think he has potential. It is because he has traits of an NFL QB. There are plenty of guys who played there that I don't advocate for at the next level. Edited by YoloinOhio

How are we feeling about Brandon Doughty as a developmental guy in the 6th round?

I like the player and the timing--5th round is about right.

Bandit's assessment earlier is spot-on.

Quickest release among the QBs, and 72% accuracy makes it easy to say goodbye to EJ.

How are we feeling about Brandon Doughty as a developmental guy in the 6th round?

My feelings, he turns out like 99.9% of other late round QB's and never amounts to anything.

That's how i feel about any QB after the 3rd rd.

If you don't have one by round 3, you're probably not getting anything special.

My feelings, he turns out like 99.9% of other late round QB's and never amounts to anything.

That's how i feel about any QB after the 3rd rd.

If you don't have one by round 3, you're probably not getting anything special.

He more than likely won't amount to anything but if he sticks around as nothing more than a backup then that's a win.

I like Hue Jackson alot... He's a very sharp offensive mind, and an excellent coach overall... Hue Jackson knows the Browns go NOWHERE without a legit starting QB... He knows it is the single greatest deficiency the Browns have on their roster... I don't claim to know for sure what they'll do at #2. I don't know if it's Hue's pick to make, or, for that mattter, if they'll end up keepng the pick it at all. My sincere belief is that the Browns will make an attempt to grab Cardale Jones, at some point early in this draft.

I like Hue Jackson a lot too. He was my #1 choice here last offseason. But I also watch Hue Jackson offenses. He has always valued a QB's ability to read defense and make quick decisions above physical gifts. The Browns will pick a Quarterback at number 2 overall. Personally I think it will be Goff but Wentz is in play too... it is one or the other of those two.

As for Pep Hamilton, I think there's a chance that Luck is not t who or what everyone made him up to be coming out of college... In my opinion, he started the season at less than 100%. -Far less.... The Colts missing the playoffs, while disappointing, can be mitigated in part by the fact that without Luck, they're one of the oldest offenses in the league at skill positions.

You are right Luck was hurt before the season even began... but Pep Hamilton's total inability to manufacture an offense without Luck's ability to make something when nothing is there demonstrated what should be obvious to all. He is not a good offensive coordinator. A modern day Chris Palmer if you will.... partnered with a good Quarterback with a superb arm he looks like he runs explosive offenses. With anyone else he looks like he runs a system where the line can't protect and receivers can't get open. To consider what he has done more impressive than what Greg Roman has done is just plain wrong. Which brings me to.....

Lastly, if Greg Roman runs this same offense next year, we won't win 6 games... The formula for beating us has to be harder than: Stop the run, Shut down Sammy, and spy on Tyrod... If it isn't, we're boned, per usual.

Greg Roman's limitations as an offensive coordinator are known. His passing game is limited and predictable. He is the best run game coordinator in the NFL but his passing game is play-action and the odd 7 step drop deep go route down the sideline. He has struggled to use the middle of the field with Alex Smith, with Kaepernick and now with Tyrod. Having said all that some of the reason the gameplan on us is out was talent too. We had games were Hogan and Woods, two NFL #3 receivers were our 1 and 2 and the lack of genuine alternatives to Sammy were stark. Now Sammy can help that by drawing 2 and increasingly 3 man coverages and that should open other things up especially if Sammy can still win some of those matchups which he was doing the back half of 2015. Roman's offense is never going to be a rip-roaring point scoring machine... but if we win fewer than 6 games next year (which is certainly possible) I very much suspect the defense continuing to underperform will be the main reason.

I have done some looking at the Day 3 crop of QBs, and if Dak Prescott is already gone by our #114 pick, the Bills have only a slim chance of getting a developmental starter out of this bunch.

Very Slim Possibility:

I think Cardale Jones doesn't have the football IQ to learn this offense. He's less likely than EJ to run an NFL offense in the next 3 years.

Some Possibility [in my order]

Brandon Doughty has the quickest release, ok mechanics, very good accuracy, and has the best footwork of the Day 3 crew. He reads the whole field. His errors are most likely improved.

Kevin Hogan is too likely to check down, is inconsistent, and is streaky. He disappears at times. I do like his intelligence; he could learn G-Ro's system. He's the anti-Cardale.

Trevone Boykin is Tyrod without deep accuracy. He's improved completions ('14= 61%, '15=68%) and is the best dual-threat guy in this draft. Tyrod's 6-1, 215. Boykin's 6-2, 205.

Travis Wilson has good size, but has been inconsistent (has played for 4 offensive coordinators). He can run pretty well, but looks like an ostrich doing it. May get drafted before Boykin.

The rest are UDFA, in my opinion:

Nate Sudfeld has worse accuracy numbers than Boykin, can't run, and looks severely average back there. Ceiling is Chad Henne.

If Cardale is there on day 3 I would be tempted to take him despite my hesitancy about his ability to get through progressions and run an NFL offense. I have no problem gambling on his talent in a mid-late round where he can sit and learn and maybe become something down the road. For a team who needs a QB now or might need a QB now like the Bills he is just too big of a projection for me.

I have done some looking at the Day 3 crop of QBs, and if Dak Prescott is already gone by our #114 pick, the Bills have only a slim chance of getting a developmental starter out of this bunch.

Very Slim Possibility:

I think Cardale Jones doesn't have the football IQ to learn this offense. He's less likely than EJ to run an NFL offense in the next 3 years.

Some Possibility [in my order]

Brandon Doughty has the quickest release, ok mechanics, very good accuracy, and has the best footwork of the Day 3 crew. He reads the whole field. His errors are most likely improved.

Kevin Hogan is too likely to check down, is inconsistent, and is streaky. He disappears at times. I do like his intelligence; he could learn G-Ro's system. He's the anti-Cardale.

Trevone Boykin is Tyrod without deep accuracy. He's improved completions ('14= 61%, '15=68%) and is the best dual-threat guy in this draft. Tyrod's 6-1, 215. Boykin's 6-2, 205.

Travis Wilson has good size, but has been inconsistent (has played for 4 offensive coordinators). He can run pretty well, but looks like an ostrich doing it. May get drafted before Boykin.

The rest are UDFA, in my opinion:

Nate Sudfeld has worse accuracy numbers than Boykin, can't run, and looks severely average back there. Ceiling is Chad Henne.

So no late QBs, good because none of them are worth wasting a pick on.

If the Bills draft Lynch, I will be tempted to stab myself in the eye with a rusted cork screw that has been heated and dipped in battery acid.

Can I go second?

i guess ill be the 3rd with a missing eye if that happens. our 1st 3 picks should be Defense or a Super OT start ready, who I dont see in round 2 or 3 so I wudnt be mad going all Def in the 1st 3 or a WR in the 3rd

So no late QBs, good because none of them are worth wasting a pick on.

Here's hoping they see/get value in one of the earlier-round QBs, and IF it doesn't happen, they resist reaching Day 3 and take a flier on a mobile UDFA. Marquise Williams, anyone?