2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

.... It's time to really start developing guys.....

You know it.

The Bills couldn't develop talent, primarily because they didn't have key prerequisites: stability at the starter position, and stability in the coaching staff.

I think the Bills are getting some stability and and are well positioned to pick a late round QB and develop him for a few years--like Baltimore did.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of a red flag there

Red flags for sure. If the Bills take a QB in RD7/UDFA, where Williams will go, they will get red flags. Williams is smarter than Cardale by a large margin, picks things up quickly, is more mobile, and won't be overdrafted like Jones. His red flags are he needs better coaching (check), needs better receivers who don't drop the ball (check), and needs a better OL (box still unchecked after 16 years).

Honorable mention must go to Cody Kessler... He's actually a very good prospect... My second favorite in this draff.... Some team is gonna get a STEAL with that kid

Not a Kessler guy at all.

Doesn't have the deep ball accuracy, the boundary throw strength, or the deep seam throw.

He may end up a good backup in a timing-based offense, but I have him as a 6th rounder at the earliest

Doesn't have the deep ball accuracy, the boundary throw strength, or the deep seam throw.

He may end up a good backup in a timing-based offense, but I have him as a 6th rounder at the earliest

Agree. Solid backup in a timing offense but not an NFL arm.

Agree. Solid backup in a timing offense but not an NFL arm.

I'm curious as to how many USC games you guys actually watched.... While I watched USC primarily for WR's Ju-Ju Smith, Nelson Agholor, (when he was at USC), and (Now SEA DB) George Farmer, Cody Kessler impressed me as a delivery man... I've seen no significant deficiencies in his passing game. -Deep or shallow. His mechanics and footwork are advanced for his level.. Light years ahead of a kid like Wentz, or even Cardale Jones!

-His field vision is impeccable, excellent movement in the pocket, good escapability, vocal leader in the huddle...... It took a while for the kid to grow on me, but he has... Kessler is legit... I refuse to magpie some talking head draftnik by saying otherwise.

I have ONE big problem with his game... And it's this... Because of his skill level, Kessler takes too may chances with the football... makes some throws that are phenomenal, but still ill-advised... He'll pay a price at the next level.... Could cause an impatient coach to lose faith, and bolster the "I told you so" Naysayers. I fancy him a 4th-5th rounder... Has the tools to be #2 on somebody's roster come September.

I've seen enough of USC to evaluate Kessler - they run and offense that intentionally hides his weaknesses. I wouldn't disagree he could be a solid #2 for someone though. Lacks the natural talent to be a starter though for me.

Any team with a brain cell to share runs an offense that hides it's QB's weaknesses... It shouldn't always be a demerit. If you look at what Kessler is asked to do at times, you realize he does it very well... Even the stuff he isn't asked, and probably shouldn't do often comes out better than expected...

While I can't call myself a "Kessler" guy, I still recognize traits in his game that go a long way in making an effective pro..

That said, It's not like there's alot of great options out there..... IMO,This is a decent QB draft class, not a great of even a very good one.... There's talent... Stlll, you might have to look closer than alot of Draftniks, and talking-heads are looking.

Edited by #34fan

You know it.

The Bills couldn't develop talent, primarily because they didn't have key prerequisites: stability at the starter position, and stability in the coaching staff.

I think the Bills are getting some stability and and are well positioned to pick a late round QB and develop him for a few years--like Baltimore did.

There was nice little piece i read referring to TT as being the example of developing a QB behind a franchise guy.

Thing is, for Buffalo, who will take the reigns when Roman is gone?

But Boater i agree, Buffalo could stand to develop a guy.

I will take flak but i think TT and EJM would be excellent mentors to a developmental QB who needs a year or two.

There was nice little piece i read referring to TT as being the example of developing a QB behind a franchise guy.

Thing is, for Buffalo, who will take the reigns when Roman is gone?

But Boater i agree, Buffalo could stand to develop a guy.

I will take flak but i think TT and EJM would be excellent mentors to a developmental QB who needs a year or two.

it was reported last season that Kromer was hired as OC as a succession plan if/when Roman departed for a HC job. That was "pre beach chairs," but I surmised that was one reason why they didn't fire him.

it was reported last season that Kromer was hired as OC as a succession plan if/when Roman departed for a HC job. That was "pre beach chairs," but I surmised that was one reason why they didn't fire him.

I never read that!

Do you think that's a reasonable succession plan ?

Especially in regard to QB. He definitely made a huge difference with the blocking after his return from " hiatus".

I never read that!

Do you think that's a reasonable succession plan ?

Especially in regard to QB. He definitely made a huge difference with the blocking after his return from " hiatus".

i suppose it is reasonable. Kromer has OC experience and would have experience with Roman's offense to be able to keep it intact. If the goal is not to change offense schemes if he leaves (continuity) then it is best to promote from within rather than start from scratch. It's what most good teams seem to do when they lose an assistant due to promotion. Edited by YoloinOhio

i suppose it is reasonable. Kromer has OC experience and would have experience with Roman's offense to be able to keep it intact. If the goal is not to change offense schemes if he leaves (continuity) then it is best to promote from within rather than start from scratch. It's what most good teams seem to do when they lose an assistant due to promotion.

I fully agree teams are best off promoting from within their own in regard to coaching. to maintain language, methods familiarity and to some extent scheme

I'm curious as to how many USC games you guys actually watched.... While I watched USC primarily for WR's Ju-Ju Smith, Nelson Agholor, (when he was at USC), and (Now SEA DB) George Farmer, Cody Kessler impressed me as a delivery man... I've seen no significant deficiencies in his passing game. -Deep or shallow. His mechanics and footwork are advanced for his level.. Light years ahead of a kid like Wentz, or even Cardale Jones!

-His field vision is impeccable, excellent movement in the pocket, good escapability, vocal leader in the huddle...... It took a while for the kid to grow on me, but he has... Kessler is legit... I refuse to magpie some talking head draftnik by saying otherwise.

I have ONE big problem with his game... And it's this... Because of his skill level, Kessler takes too may chances with the football... makes some throws that are phenomenal, but still ill-advised... He'll pay a price at the next level.... Could cause an impatient coach to lose faith, and bolster the "I told you so" Naysayers. I fancy him a 4th-5th rounder... Has the tools to be #2 on somebody's roster come September.

To start, I've watched every throw from 6 games over 2014 and 2015, so I'm hardly shooting from the hip.

Also, if the guy had no deficiency in his game, he'd be much higher than a 4th/5th round pick, so there seems to be some divergence between your evaluation and your valuation of the player.

As I said, I think he could potentially be a backup in a timing-based offense, but if I imagine him trying to throw a deep out in the November wind in Buffalo, I start to shudder.

I hate taking a late round QB and potentially missing out on the next Michael Jasper.

LOL!

Jasper just leaves his suitcase packed.

TRANSACTIONS

Waived by Carolina (5/19/14)...Signed as a free agent by Carolina (1/14/14)...Signed to practice squad by Carolina (9/11/13)...Waived by the New York Giants (8/26/12)...Signed as a free agent by the New York Giants (1/3/13)...Waived by Tennessee (8/31/12)...Signed as a free agent by Tennessee (8/16/12)...Waived by Buffalo (8/13/12)...Signed as a free agent from practice squad by Buffalo (12/27/11)...Signed to practice squad by Buffalo (9/5/11)...Waived by Buffalo (9/3/11)...Selected in the seventh round (245th overall) of the NFL Draft by Buffalo (4/30/11).TRANSACTIONS

Waived by Carolina (5/19/14)...Signed as a free agent by Carolina (1/14/14)...Signed to practice squad by Carolina (9/11/13)...Waived by the New York Giants (8/26/12)...Signed as a free agent by the New York Giants (1/3/13)...Waived by Tennessee (8/31/12)...Signed as a free agent by Tennessee (8/16/12)...Waived by Buffalo (8/13/12)...Signed as a free agent from practice squad by Buffalo (12/27/11)...Signed to practice squad by Buffalo (9/5/11)...Waived by Buffalo (9/3/11)...Selected in the seventh round (245th overall) of the NFL Draft by Buffalo (4/30/11).

LOL!

Jasper just leaves his suitcase packed.

TRANSACTIONS

Waived by Carolina (5/19/14)...Signed as a free agent by Carolina (1/14/14)...Signed to practice squad by Carolina (9/11/13)...Waived by the New York Giants (8/26/12)...Signed as a free agent by the New York Giants (1/3/13)...Waived by Tennessee (8/31/12)...Signed as a free agent by Tennessee (8/16/12)...Waived by Buffalo (8/13/12)...Signed as a free agent from practice squad by Buffalo (12/27/11)...Signed to practice squad by Buffalo (9/5/11)...Waived by Buffalo (9/3/11)...Selected in the seventh round (245th overall) of the NFL Draft by Buffalo (4/30/11).TRANSACTIONS

Waived by Carolina (5/19/14)...Signed as a free agent by Carolina (1/14/14)...Signed to practice squad by Carolina (9/11/13)...Waived by the New York Giants (8/26/12)...Signed as a free agent by the New York Giants (1/3/13)...Waived by Tennessee (8/31/12)...Signed as a free agent by Tennessee (8/16/12)...Waived by Buffalo (8/13/12)...Signed as a free agent from practice squad by Buffalo (12/27/11)...Signed to practice squad by Buffalo (9/5/11)...Waived by Buffalo (9/3/11)...Selected in the seventh round (245th overall) of the NFL Draft by Buffalo (4/30/11).

well he kept trying, too bad he didn't make it, he had all the talent wonder if the NFL game was too complicated.