2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

I'm excited about seeing what the Browns do@2. It will be a good indication if things are going to change with Hue in place. At this point it looks like a layup lets see if they screw it up.

Tennessee would be crazy not to trade out of 1 though. This draft has high end talent and its stocked through the first 75 picks. Accumulate picks and fill holes don't blow your load on a LT@1.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 3 or 4 of these guys will end up long term starters. This is the right year for the Bills to get a QB in the 1st or 2nd. I will be very pissed if they don't.

Lots of quarterbacks all bunched up in the first 3 rounds or so, it gives a GM a chance to be a difference maker. I like the way this draft is shaping up. I hope Doug and Co. are doing their homework and decifering what draftable QB's and olinemen look like.

I actually think the top 4 Quarterbacks are a little reminiscent of the 2014 class for me...

Wentz is the Bortles esque late riser with the size and the arm....

Goff is the Bridgewater high floor guy who looks smooth and comfortable.... Though maybe his ceiling is higher....

Lynch is the very risky project who has a lot to learn for me at the NFL level - see Manziel

Cook is the Carr - a bit up and down in college and certainly more of a gamble but if he adjusts he could be a franchise guy.

I said in that draft I'd have done exactly what the Jags did and rolled the dice on the guy I thought had the best chance to not just be a Franchise guy but to be elite (I still think that is Bortles by the way). Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up like that class - three guys who are at least established solid starters after 2 years and one who is all but out of the league. I don't think any of the 2014 guys were Winston or Mariota and nor are this class but you can find a franchise quarterback in this draft I have no doubt.

I actually think the top 4 Quarterbacks are a little reminiscent of the 2014 class for me...

Wentz is the Bortles esque late riser with the size and the arm....

Goff is the Bridgewater high floor guy who looks smooth and comfortable.... Though maybe his ceiling is higher....

Lynch is the very risky project who has a lot to learn for me at the NFL level - see Manziel

Cook is the Carr - a bit up and down in college and certainly more of a gamble but if he adjusts he could be a franchise guy.

I said in that draft I'd have done exactly what the Jags did and rolled the dice on the guy I thought had the best chance to not just be a Franchise guy but to be elite (I still think that is Bortles by the way). Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up like that class - three guys who are at least established solid starters after 2 years and one who is all but out of the league. I don't think any of the 2014 guys were Winston or Mariota and nor are this class but you can find a franchise quarterback in this draft I have no doubt.

Yeah, I don't think there is a Hall of Famer in the bunch, but they could be good.

I'd trade up for Wentz.

I know full well Taylor made some splashy plays.

I know if Taylor were a rookie his first year campaign would have been promising.

I like Taylor.

I want Taylor to start next year.

That said...Wentz is a big guy with a rocket arm. There's no throw Wentz can't make.

Also, I think we'll draft Wentz. There's already buzz out there. But the buzz would t be enough to make me think the interest was genuine but for the Pegulas. Kim and Terry don't have to know a ton about football to recognize we've been inconsistent and sucked since Kelly retired. They don't have to be geniuses to notice that the good teams have GREAT QBs. Think about that...good teams have GREAT QBs. You can't be a good team these days without a great QB.

So, is Taylor a great QB? Right now, no. Could he develop? Yes. But he has a better chance imo of being what he is now than he does of imensely improving. Taylor's a vet after all.

So I'm left with this...do I want to continue with Taylor? Yes. Do I want to give myself some insurance by drafting a QB high? Yes. Is Wentz worth additional picks to trade up to get? If he's a franchise QB then you have to ask yourself this, is a couple 1st round picks and some mid round picks worth it for a guy who could settle your most important position for 15 years? Think about that...15 years! If we draft Wentz and hit on him, that's 15 years of good football!!!

But what about Taylor? What if we draft Wentz and Taylor turns out to be good? We trade one of them.

But for those still not convinced on trading up for a QB, I'll leave you with this...if a drafted QB can give us 15 years, what can Taylor give us? Well, I'd say we could plan on Taylor giving us at most about 8 years if he pans out because of his age, his playing style, and the fact that his wheels will eventually succumb to Father Time.

To me, targeting Wentz and trading up is a no brainier.

I know a lot of fans differ in their opinion, but it's all about winning and some people see things differently.

me too but we would have to give up a lot for where he is probably going to go. We would have been better off had we gone 3 - 13 this yr. I feel like were going to be the Sabres; try like hell win with high priced veterens then realize that we are spinning our wheels and then we gut the team and start over in few yrs :angry:

Goff is so fluid in the pocket he is leaps and bounds above Cook and Lynch. His release is smooth and the ball comes off his hand really owell. I haven't seen any of Wentz so I won't compare the two but Goff is far and away superior to the other guys.

Also no chance he gets to 19.

he is awesome in the pocket but know way is he better than Cook who is awesome out of the pocket and has a better arm and legs, I'd take Cook in a heartbeat over any of these QBs except Wentz. Glad he skipped the Senior Bowl and "OMG :o:o:rolleyes: " wasn't named team captain, hopefully we can get him the 2nd and get our own Rivers/Roethlisberger.

With Cook, I just think he is what he is at this point. He'll be a high variance QB with a lot of ups and downs. I think he's little more than a spot starter type, wouldn't hate him as Tyrod's backup long term. Just wouldn't take him before the 3rd.

I'v watched almost all of Cook's games for the past two yrs and he is way more than a backup, he's a way better prospect than Cousins who is now a starter and feel with some time on the bench he could be a Roeth/ Rivers type. Go back and watch his junior yr and you will see a much better QB, this yr he didn't have the WRs.

I'v watched almost all of Cook's games for the past two yrs and he is way more than a backup, he's a way better prospect than Cousins who is now a starter and feel with some time on the bench he could be a Roeth/ Rivers type. Go back and watch his junior yr and you will see a much better QB, this yr he didn't have the WRs.

I charted half of his 2014 season plus 3 games from 2013 too. He was the least accurate QB I've charted from this class from 2014 games. Granted, he also has the highest percentage of targets beyond 16 yards so there's some blame for the OC in there too.

He's not lacking impressive traits (good arm, shows ability to make NFL throws, has some impressive anticipation throws), I just haven't seen him put it all together yet. As a 3 year starter, I should have multiple games where I can show people and say "Well, this is where I fell in love with him" but I don't. He's just been overwhelmingly average. There's nothing wrong with that either.

I understand why you and others like him, maybe we just evaluate with a different emphasis. For the record, I don't care about the attitude stuff and "not a real leader". I'm a Jay Cutler fan so it would be a bit hypocritical to knock Cook for that, if it's even true..

He was a better player than Cousins at MSU, and is asked to make throws that other college QBs aren't. He makes throws with a higher level of difficulty than most of them, especially spread-offense guys.

He really does make harder throws - not just in terms of distance but in terms of throwing to spots and not to players. MSU ran a true pro offense.

Edited by dave mcbride

Bandit and Astro, What are your thoughts on Sudfeld from Indiana?

63pct, 27TD 7INT this year, big (6-5 240), sprays ball around so he does look at the whole field, turnovers his big problem, missed half the 2014 season due to injury, a little mobility to his game. Comp is Chad Henne.

Yeah, if we're looking for a decent backup QB, we could look at Sudfeld.

I'm thinking they pull the trigger on Day 2, likely RD3. Would hope Prescott, Cardale, Cody Kessler, Hogan (in that order) would be there to choose from.

He was a better player than Cousins at MSU, and is asked to make throws that other college QBs aren't. He makes throws with a higher level of difficulty than most of them, especially spread-offense guys.

He really does make harder throws - not just in terms of distance but in terms of throwing to spots and not to players. MSU ran a true pro offense.

I agree and that is why it is hard to balance him up against Goff. The scheme Cal ran was about giving him a lot of quick, easier, timing throws. Cook was asked to sit back there read defenses and make really tough throws regularly. I am instinctively a fan and I would still be severely tempted at 19. Even though I know it is a bit of a projection.

I charted half of his 2014 season plus 3 games from 2013 too. He was the least accurate QB I've charted from this class from 2014 games. Granted, he also has the highest percentage of targets beyond 16 yards so there's some blame for the OC in there too.

He's not lacking impressive traits (good arm, shows ability to make NFL throws, has some impressive anticipation throws), I just haven't seen him put it all together yet. As a 3 year starter, I should have multiple games where I can show people and say "Well, this is where I fell in love with him" but I don't. He's just been overwhelmingly average. There's nothing wrong with that either.

I understand why you and others like him, maybe we just evaluate with a different emphasis. For the record, I don't care about the attitude stuff and "not a real leader". I'm a Jay Cutler fan so it would be a bit hypocritical to knock Cook for that, if it's even true..

fair enough, for me he makes plays when the play breaks down and is great on third down and I feel that is very important for being a Quality NFL starter.

Couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

Yeah, if we're looking for a decent backup QB, we could look at Sudfeld.

I'm thinking they pull the trigger on Day 2, likely RD3. Would hope Prescott, Cardale, Cody Kessler, Hogan (in that order) would be there to choose from.

:death: all those guys would be a waste of draft picks

I agree and that is why it is hard to balance him up against Goff. The scheme Cal ran was about giving him a lot of quick, easier, timing throws. Cook was asked to sit back there read defenses and make really tough throws regularly. I am instinctively a fan and I would still be severely tempted at 19. Even though I know it is a bit of a projection.

I'd take him at 19 we can get good starters in the 2nd, like we usually do

:death: all those guys would be a waste of draft picks

I think it depends what you are looking for. I think a couple of those guys are back up calibre NFL quarterbacks. If we are saying the backup is an important position I don't think they are wasted picks. They are not solving your franchise QB issue and are not worth high picks but there are a couple I'd consider in the 5th and beyond.

My current draft list is: If Wentz is there when we pick, we take him & keep him away from the Jets. If Wentz is gone then I hope we get Reggie Ragland. It would be nice if Robert Nkemdiche would drop to us in the second. If feel we need to draft at least 2 LBs and 1 DE.

I think it depends what you are looking for. I think a couple of those guys are back up calibre NFL quarterbacks. If we are saying the backup is an important position I don't think they are wasted picks. They are not solving your franchise QB issue and are not worth high picks but there are a couple I'd consider in the 5th and beyond.

Or a guy with potential for Roman to develop into a great QB in his system...like Kaep.

Good read on Cardale Jones. Discusses the very real issue of playing in Urban's system and transitioning to the NFL - which is why he is a project. But one worth taking and developing for a team who has a starter in place.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2612792-why-cardale-jones-shouldnt-be-the-forgotten-quarterback-of-the-2016-class?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=BR_OSUBuckeyes&utm_source=twitter.com?is_shared=true

Edited by YoloinOhio

Don't want a backup, want a franchise QB that can take over in a couple yrs