Dennis Thurman should never, ever be allowed to speak

Beerball

I don't agree with this. I didn't want Rex gone but I think Thurman has done a bad job this year.

I hated Thurman ever since I knew he was replacing Schwartz. I figured he sucked. Rex has to realize. He can put is hands in the defensive jar. But he HAS to hire someone who can run and improve the scheme. Not a friend. Like Gailey. Thats gonna do him in. Hire someone good and let them run a scheme that will fit the players. Im sure the Rex D will work. But only if someone with a brain can help execute the best game plan available. Remember Thurmans... we are gonna abe multiple. We want to dictate... what happened to that!!! All smoke.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's call is firing the DC - is it really up to Rex? Seems to me it's ultimately Pegula's call, and if Rex is unhappy with losing his friend if he's fired, Rex can walk out on the contract, which at this point wouldn't bother me too much.

Who's call is firing the DC - is it really up to Rex? Seems to me it's ultimately Pegula's call, and if Rex is unhappy with losing his friend if he's fired, Rex can walk out on the contract, which at this point wouldn't bother me too much.

The Wade Phillips fiasco revisited.

Every HC contract that I've heard of gives him control over his coaching staff. The coaches have to work together too closely for it to be otherwise.

The problem, as you say, is with coaches who hire friends rather than the best guy for the job they can find (Marrone/Hackett; Gailey/Modkins and Edwards then Wannstache)

I hated Thurman ever since I knew he was replacing Schwartz. I figured he sucked. Rex has to realize. He can put is hands in the defensive jar. But he HAS to hire someone who can run and improve the scheme. Not a friend. Like Gailey. Thats gonna do him in. Hire someone good and let them run a scheme that will fit the players. Im sure the Rex D will work. But only if someone with a brain can help execute the best game plan available. Remember Thurmans... we are gonna abe multiple. We want to dictate... what happened to that!!! All smoke.

Why do you see Thurman as replacing Schwartz? I agree with whoever it was who said, Thurman is to Rex Ryan as Curtis Modkins was to Chan Gailey. It's Rex's defense and he will limit his pool of possible DCs to those who are willing to be his doppelgangers and essentially function as an overall defensive assistant.

Edited by Hopeful

The Wade Phillips fiasco revisited.

Wade was going to be fired in a season or two anyway..........his hands-off HC style yields diminishing returns......as people saw in Dallas where he gradually dismantled what Parcels built.

What really hurt was changing the identity of the defense.........Wade's 3-4 D had become the organizational identity........and the death blow to that culture was the cutting of Ted Washington by Donahoe.....who ironically had earned his way in Pittsburgh by assembling 3-4 defensive talent for LeBeau/Capers.

I don't know how much power if any Thurman has over this defense. Firing him may appease some people but worries me.

I can see Rob Ryan getting hired and when you think things couldn't get worse they just did. Thurman obviously doesn't care much for the media and can be surly.

For me the preasure has to be on this front office and coaching staff in 2016. They need to start delivering results and quit talking about it.

Some of you guys jump on the dumbest things. Coachspeak. Belichick sounds like Rainman. Thurman is merely a puppet for Rex's terrible defense.

It blows my mind how much people hang on what coaches and GMs tell the media. They shouldn't tell us crap. It serves no purpose. Stopping listening to press conferences!

I don't know how much power if any Thurman has over this defense. Firing him may appease some people but worries me.

I can see Rob Ryan getting hired and when you think things couldn't get worse they just did.

I looked up Rob Ryan's record. Great, we could have a guy who has been a DC for 12 years and has 2 years of decent D a decade apart (2006 and 2014). That would indeed be progress. :sick:

And he could work with a brother where there is obviously love, but they get along so well Rex once went to jail after a fistfight with him where he broke Rob's nose and ankle.

No wonder Rex gave IK a 2nd chance.

Some of you guys jump on the dumbest things. Coachspeak. Belichick sounds like Rainman. Thurman is merely a puppet for Rex's terrible defense.

It blows my mind how much people hang on what coaches and GMs tell the media. They shouldn't tell us crap. It serves no purpose. Stopping listening to press conferences!

That wasn't coach speak........coach speak is not giving the media anything to write about.

What he did was the exact opposite.

I don't really care what he says either, but a 50 year old man using the snotty evasive maneuvers of a teenager to avoid addressing an issue is just dumb.

The NFL provides access to coaches for a reason.........MONEY.........access = interest..........if the coaches don't like it and can't address the media a few times per year then perhaps they should see what the HS assistant football coaching jobs pay. :lol:

That wasn't coach speak........coach speak is not giving the media anything to write about.

I don't really care what he says either, but a 50 year old man using the snotty evasive maneuvers of a teenager to avoid addressing an issue is just dumb.

The NFL provides access to coaches for a reason.........MONEY.........access = interest..........if the coaches don't like it and can't address the media a few times per year then perhaps they should see what the HS assistant football coaching jobs pay. :lol:

Now on this, we agree completely. Dealing with media once a week is clearly defined by the NFL as part of the OC and DC gig. Don't like it? Find another gig.

I disagree with those on here dismissing Thurman as just a figurehead. He may not be having the final say in the defensive game plan, but he's likely very influential. It's his job to not only teach the players Rex's defensive scheme, but to also sell it to them. In this regard, he has failed. It's also his job during the week to get the defense practiced up for the game. Another failure. He's likely very influential and undoubtedly has had a very bad impact.

so you're ok with a petulant "DC" who calls some...errrrrrr lots of plays?

Also, you have apparently never seen a Rex pressed...they're gold Jerry, GOLD!!!

Edited by Beerball
Oh the irony

If we had last year's defense, this isn't even a top IMO. Personally, I have zero desire to hear a coach talk. They aren't wildly personable guys. Rex's best quality is his ability to talk. I just want a guy who does his job and wins.

Either way, this is Rex's baby. I don't even know why they interview Thurman. Was Curtis Modkins not available?

so you're ok with a petulant "DC" who calls some...errrrrrr lots of plays?

Also, you have apparently never seen a Rex pressed...they're gold Jerry, GOLD!!!

Haha. Yeah, it doesn't bother me. They had an awful season and completely underachieved. That's the only thing that matters.

I disagree with those on here dismissing Thurman as just a figurehead. He may not be having the final say in the defensive game plan, but he's likely very influential. It's his job to not only teach the players Rex's defensive scheme, but to also sell it to them. In this regard, he has failed. It's also his job during the week to get the defense practiced up for the game. Another failure. He's likely very influential and undoubtedly has had a very bad impact.

This x1000.

I agree with this take.

Thurman inherited the job in NY from Pettine..........so the defense was already installed......he just had to deal with some newcomers each season.

This year he had to do it all from scratch and it's possible Rex didn't know that Thurman couldn't handle the job the way Rex did when he first took over the Jets.