12-29: Doug Whaley on WGR

26CornerBlitz

he needs to a) be in the right system for his style - like ours, not like OSU's and b) sit for a couple years and learn the NFL QB position like TT did

I agree. I was hoping he came out after last year's magical run but he's a better value this season. OSU didn't play with any real fire until after they got beat by Sparty so he didn't show well this year.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I was hoping he came out after last year's magical run but he's a better value this season. OSU didn't play with any real fire until after they got beat by Sparty so he didn't show well this year.

it's a combination of things, but he wasn't recruited by Urban and isn't a fit for the spread option. They were able to tailor the offense to his strengths for the playoffs last year and to his credit he balled out. This year, the OC left for a HC job, urban refused to change his offense for him, they lost 4 of their top 5 WRs, and they never threw the deep ball which is his calling card because somehow out of all the 5 star recruits they had no deep threat to replace Devin Smith. It was really bizarre. The whole thing. But jones is not a guy to run the read option. He can bulldoze defenses to get yards when needed but he's not a mobile QB and shouldn't be used on design runs - it made zero sense. He's similar to a Roethlisberger type.

I would add that he's a pretty good fit for the Bills offense, IMO .

Edited by YoloinOhio

I would take a flyer on Jones any day...But I'm sure you know more than I do about he kid Yolo...He just seems to have everything physically... B-)

So was Jamarcus Russell.

Jones did not play well this season resulting in his benching. He should stay in school at least another year.

I like Whaley and want him to stay. But that remark about the season being merely a "disappointment" is a load of crap! Dr. Goebbels himself (Rex) spread his propaganda the entire offseason- we're going to lead the lead the league in defense; we're going to aim to have a defense as good as the '85 Bears; get ready 'cause we're going- all that garbage. The hype machine ran full-bore. Now the GM says that the season was "but a trifling disappoinment. Yeah we're not going to the playoffs- but oh well, c'est la vie." Screw you Doug

You're contradicting yourself. In one breath you say the word disappointment didn't comfort you as being strong enough - but then criticize Rex for talking about how great our defense is going to be. So which is it?

Disappointment is exactly the correct word. Disaster is along the lines of Rex babbling prior to the season.

So was Jamarcus Russell.

Jones did not play well this season resulting in his benching. He should stay in school at least another year.

lazy comparison - they are nothing alike as people or as QBs outside of their race and ability to throw ridiculously far.

That aside - no one is saying drafting him with the 1st overall pick. A flyer is considered 4th or later. If he had played well this year, he would be gone in the top 10. That's the whole point of taking a flyer.

Why would he stay in school when the offensive scheme doesn't fit him? He won't even play, and his QB coach is gone. He will get more development for his skill set in the pros at this point.

I think he will end up somewhere like Arizona with Bruce Arians, who has the time and vision to develop someone with his tools.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Guys- What is he going to say? Every coach, manager, and usually players tell us the company line, and are careful with any criticism. We'll see what he really thought of the season and what needs to happen next by watching his moves the next couple of months. I take little stock in anything these guys say in the media.

It is so rare you ever get an honest answer from any of them.

Let me preface with this: I am a huge Whaley fan and I think he is a top notch GM.

That said ... you can replace Taylor's name with Manuel's and it's the same crap we've been hearing for over 3 years about our QB.

Watched nearly all of OSU games the last two years (my daughter's a new Buckeye and big fan) Jones was decent last year under limited duty - he's been generally terrible this year.

There's a reason he was passed over twice for a younger player. Doesn't have an NFL brain - not a reference to his IQ, for all I know he's a genius - it's about speed to process, and Jones makes a lot of mistakes if the opposition puts up much challenge.

I like Whaley and want him to stay. But that remark about the season being merely a "disappointment" is a load of crap! Dr. Goebbels himself (Rex) spread his propaganda the entire offseason- we're going to lead the lead the league in defense; we're going to aim to have a defense as good as the '85 Bears; get ready 'cause we're going- all that garbage. The hype machine ran full-bore. Now the GM says that the season was "but a trifling disappoinment. Yeah we're not going to the playoffs- but oh well, c'est la vie." Screw you Doug

He can't say the season was a "disaster" because that would beg the question: Who's accountable? Should the GM be fired? The Head Coach? Both?

Disasters require heads to roll; disappointments don't necessarily.

Edited by hondo in seattle

In the context of 16 seasons without making the playoffs and spending as much as we did last offseason on free agents and to sign our own players, this season was a disaster, not a disappointment.

and what would you call the Dolphins season? They may have spent more including big bucks to a guys like on Suh/Tannehill and elected to give money to Jordan Cameron instead keeping Clay who went to a division rival. To me that's a disaster especially if they bring in a new HC.

Guys- What is he going to say? Every coach, manager, and usually players tell us the company line, and are careful with any criticism. We'll see what he really thought of the season and what needs to happen next by watching his moves the next couple of months. I take little stock in anything these guys say in the media.

very good post!

I expect little insight from him. and maybe a pinch of marketing and another teaspoon of damage control. His actions will speak for him.

Edited by 3rdand12

So what did you think about this?

Rex is great. Whaley's relationship with Rex is 100% synchronized swimming.

Roman is great. Why wouldn't Whaley be happy with Roman's offense and its performance?

The Pegulas are great.

The Defense will be great after a few missing pieces are added without $$ for FA and by drafting BPA.

I know Whaley is an affable persona strapped over a poker-face, close-to-the-vest, Cold Hard Football Facts kind of guy, but I kind of had trouble believing the whole thing and I can't put my finger on why.

Probably because it all adds up to him saying 'stay the course'

I get what you are saying, but we fans have become so accustomed to failure that we are suckers to buy into the 'wait until next season' syndrome. At what point, do we call BS on these tactics and wait until the results match the words and hype ? Sorry I am a little negative these days but over the last decade, I have gone from being a cheerleader to cautious optimism to cynicism. The words 'show me the baby' make me cringe because they were a great sound bite but meant little. All these statements and positive words from Whaley sound hollow. I don't see how this mess gets fixed.

Put this season in perspective, most believed we have enough talent to make the playoffs and sneak a win or two. And now we are left defending how Whaley has a lot of work to do with the roster.

Probably because it all adds up to him saying 'stay the course'

I get what you are saying, but we fans have become so accustomed to failure that we are suckers to buy into the 'wait until next season' syndrome. At what point, do we call BS on these tactics and wait until the results match the words and hype ? Sorry I am a little negative these days but over the last decade, I have gone from being a cheerleader to cautious optimism to cynicism. The words 'show me the baby' make me cringe because they were a great sound bite but meant little. All these statements and positive words from Whaley sound hollow. I don't see how this mess gets fixed.

Put this season in perspective, most believed we have enough talent to make the playoffs and sneak a win or two. And now we are left defending how Whaley has a lot of work to do with the roster.

It is hollow. Maybe not on purpose. But that is all a Fan can hear anymore.

words without substance