12-29: Doug Whaley on WGR

26CornerBlitz

12-29: DOUG WHALEY ANALYZES TYROD TAYLOR AND BILLS D (22:29)

Buffalo Bills GM Doug Whaley on WGR NOW

Whaley: "Ownership has been great. My relationship with Rex Ryan is something I cherish and I wake up happy every day to work with him"

Whaley: "Until ownership tells me my keys don't work, I'm here"

Whaley on working with Rex Ryan: "We complement each other well and we're on the same page"

Whaley: "You have a team that has a possibility - and I stress possibility - of having a quarterback in the future"

Whaley says he is very happy with Greg Roman, especially for his work with Tyrod Taylor

Whaley on Tyrod Taylor: "I think he's done a great job of making right decisions"

Whaley on Taylor: "It's going to be a maturation process...if he can start moving around in the pocket and finding throwing lanes"

Whaley: "I've always said: Bring (Taylor) along slowly...he will get better each year."

Whaley on whether the Bills will pick a QB: "We'll draft the best player available."

Whaley: "We didn't think the defense would take a step back like it did"

Also said they have confidence in fixing it

@JeremyWGR

#Bills GM Doug Whaley says season is a disappointment, not a disaster.

Whaley sounds pleased with Taylor's first season, but knows that there has to be a lot more too.

Says next year teams will likely try to takeaway the outside throws and the deep throws. It'll be on TT to respond.

Whaley didn't rule out 1st round QB, didn't call him franchise guy, says he needs to take next step.

Good news - The #Bills GM seems to have a very measured evaluation of the new QB.

@hsimon62

Whaley on season: its a dissappointment, not a disaster

Whaley on offense: he's very happy with Roman. have possibility of franchise QB. he stressed possibility. strong run game too, talent on O

correction..he didnt use term franchise QB. said possibility of having a QB of the future

whaley on tyrod: he's got to take next step, in end of game situations where we can throw things on his back and he can win the game

whaley on defense: will be a concerted effort to make D better this off season.

Whaley on QB class in draft..can only talk about seniors at this point: its not top heavy but its a deep class. can get QB in rds 2-6

good conversation with Whaley. liked what he said about Taylor. has the right approach to his 1st season as starter. will get you link soon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what did you think about this?

Rex is great. Whaley's relationship with Rex is 100% synchronized swimming.

Roman is great. Why wouldn't Whaley be happy with Roman's offense and its performance?

The Pegulas are great.

The Defense will be great after a few missing pieces are added without $$ for FA and by drafting BPA.

I know Whaley is an affable persona strapped over a poker-face, close-to-the-vest, Cold Hard Football Facts kind of guy, but I kind of had trouble believing the whole thing and I can't put my finger on why.

I'm no scout but that's exactly how I view this QB class.

Say more, Yolo

Edited by Hopeful

Roman is great. Why wouldn't Whaley be happy with Roman's offense and its performance?

The Pegulas are great.

The Defense will be great after a few missing pieces are added without $$ for FA and by drafting BPA.

I know Whaley is an affable persona strapped over a poker-face, close-to-the-vest, Cold Hard Football Facts kind of guy, but I kind of had trouble believing the whole thing and I can't put my finger on why.

Say more, Yolo

I don't think there are any immediate starters or obvious franchise-type QBs in this class like there were the last couple years. I do think there are decent "prospects" who need some time to develop and could turn into quality starters. So I don't know how many will actually have a 1st round grade (obviously different than how many will end up picked in the 1st). This is actually a good year for the Bills to take one because they will be able to do so at almost any time in the draft without worrying about throwing him to the wolves right away and already have a starting QB. Don't need to reach for one in the first.

Cardale Jones, Cody Kessler, Matt Johnson from BG and Brandon Doughty all offer nice potential and draft day value.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't think there are any immediate starters or obvious franchise-type QBs in this class like there were the last couple years. I do think there are decent "prospects" who need some time to develop and could turn into quality starters. So I don't know how many will actually have a 1st round grade (obviously different than how many will end up picked in the 1st). This is actually a good year for the Bills to take one because they will be able to do so at almost any time in the draft without worrying about throwing him to the wolves right away and already have a starting QB. Don't need to reach for one in the first.

Cardale Jones, Cody Kessler, Matt Johnson from BG and Brandon Doughty all offer nice potential and draft day value.

I would take a flyer on Jones any day...But I'm sure you know more than I do about he kid Yolo...He just seems to have everything physically... B-)

I like Whaley and want him to stay. But that remark about the season being merely a "disappointment" is a load of crap! Dr. Goebbels himself (Rex) spread his propaganda the entire offseason- we're going to lead the lead the league in defense; we're going to aim to have a defense as good as the '85 Bears; get ready 'cause we're going- all that garbage. The hype machine ran full-bore. Now the GM says that the season was "but a trifling disappoinment. Yeah we're not going to the playoffs- but oh well, c'est la vie." Screw you Doug

What did you expect Whaley to say?

"Each of the past 16 years are all my fault regardless of whether I was here or not. Please banish me now"

@TyDunne

BN Blog: GM Doug Whaley tells @WGR550 season a 'disappointment,' not a 'disaster.' Talks Rex, Tyrod, much more: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/29/248208/

Hmmm. I agree with you that there are no obvious franchise QBs in this draft. I disagree that either Jones or Kessler offer nice potential. One for me lacks nous the other lacks an arm.

I was earlier in the year of the view that Connor Cook was a guy I'd consider trading up in the draft for. I'm no longer of that mindset. He would still be the top QB on my board and if he fell to me in my draft slot wherever the Bills end up (high teens probably) I'd be very tempted to take him. Jared Goff reminds me a little of Teddy Bridgewater. Stats inflated by beating up on weak opponents but a solid passer, pretty accurate and I think could be that low ceiling but high floor type effective NFL game manager who will make you some plays and limit mistakes but is not going to be the reason you win too often. Paxton Lynch to me screams "bust" and I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. That long windy up throwing motion really worries me and I'm not sure he really reads defenses that well. Relies on his arm in a way that will get him into trouble in the NFL. I'd be a little surprised if all 3 go in the 1st round based but I'd be even more surprised if anyone other than those 3 does.

Of the others I've watched any significant action from - Dak Prescott is not going to make it in the NFL, Christian Hackenberg is frustrating and slightly scary but there is definitely something there if you are willing to be patient with him and Kevin Hogan is a guy who could develop into a solid low end starter or a very good backup at the NFL level.

I would take a flyer on Jones any day...But I'm sure you know more than I do about he kid Yolo...He just seems to have everything physically... B-)

he needs to a) be in the right system for his style - like ours, not like OSU's and b) sit for a couple years and learn the NFL QB position like TT did Edited by YoloinOhio

Whaley: It’s all good with Rex & ownership

Despite reports to the contrary last week, Bills GM Doug Whaley gave firm indication that he is on solid footing with head coach Rex Ryan and has the faith of owners Terry and Kim Pegula.

Making his weekly appearance on Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550 Tuesday, Whaley said the reports that were out there last week about friction with Ryan and an uncertain future with ownership were very misguided.

I like Whaley and want him to stay. But that remark about the season being merely a "disappointment" is a load of crap! Dr. Goebbels himself (Rex) spread his propaganda the entire offseason- we're going to lead the lead the league in defense; we're going to aim to have a defense as good as the '85 Bears; get ready 'cause we're going- all that garbage. The hype machine ran full-bore. Now the GM says that the season was "but a trifling disappoinment. Yeah we're not going to the playoffs- but oh well, c'est la vie." Screw you Doug

Did you just compare rex to the minister of propaganda for Nazi Germany...I can dig it

Whaley: Defense will be a focus in offseason

Bills GM Doug Whaley couldn’t deny that the defense did take a step back this season in its first season under head coach Rex Ryan. Whaley acknowledged that improving the defensive side of the ball will be a focus this coming offseason, but he’s confident that Ryan, his defensive staff and the personnel will be able to improve the performance of the defense in 2016.

“Defensively we did take a step back,” Whaley said in his weekly appearance on Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550. “We expected there to be a transition, but we didn’t expect there would be a drop off based on our history of our defense and Rex’s history of coaching defense we didn’t expect a drop off like that. So we’ll make a concerted effort to fix in the offseason just like last year. We made a concerted effort to make the offense better and we accomplished that goal.”

It is nice to hear an honest and grounded evaluation of Taylor. Honestly, if I'm Whaley this seems like the blueprint for next season.

I'm no scout but that's exactly how I view this QB class.

I'm of similar mind too. No one blows me out of the water like Winston and Mariota did last year. And even then, let's look at the growing pains they faced this year.

I'm not against picking up a developmental guy, but Tyrod has earned the right to be the unquestioned starter.

The Pegulas are great.

Interesting, well said. I feel the same way.