Just checking in.....

WrecksRyan

In January when Wrecks was hired, I made a few posts about how you guys (and gals) would want Rex out of here before long. I admit I'm too lazy to look through the posts from the past 11 months to see, so this is an honest post and not a troll attempt.

At the time, I was told by most responders that the Jets front office was to blame and that Rex would be successful in Buffalo because he would have the support of the front office. My thoughts on Rex being a clown with no ability to discipline his team, have input into an offense, and/or motivate the team consistently enough were met as unsubstantiated opinions and nothing more.

What's the general consensus on him as a coach as we stand heading into the final week against my Jets? I want this game bad, and I know that despite his many shortcomings, Rex can get a team motivated for any one single game as well as anyone.

Your thoughts, Bills Nation?

You got here a week too late. We just beat the juggernaut Dallas Cowboys last Sunday, so everything is looking rosy again. A victory against the Jets and everyone will be talking about how we can build on this next year. After the 2016 draft, the parade routes will start to get planned.

Consensus is that Rex is Ditka 2.0. Rex's old man used to coach for the guy. Rex will roll out the legendary 46 defense and crush your run game. Add in 50 mph Lake Erie winds and your Jets will be packing their bags driving to Newark & heading south for the winter next week.

You got here a week too late. We just beat the juggernaut Dallas Cowboys last Sunday, so everything is looking rosy again. A victory against the Jets and everyone will be talking about how we can build on this next year. After the 2016 draft, the parade routes will start to get planned.

So true

In January when Wrecks was hired, I made a few posts about how you guys (and gals) would want Rex out of here before long. I admit I'm too lazy to look through the posts from the past 11 months to see, so this is an honest post and not a troll attempt.

At the time, I was told by most responders that the Jets front office was to blame and that Rex would be successful in Buffalo because he would have the support of the front office. My thoughts on Rex being a clown with no ability to discipline his team, have input into an offense, and/or motivate the team consistently enough were met as unsubstantiated opinions and nothing more.

What's the general consensus on him as a coach as we stand heading into the final week against my Jets? I want this game bad, and I know that despite his many shortcomings, Rex can get a team motivated for any one single game as well as anyone.

I was one of the persons who made the supposition that the change from Tannenbaum to Idzick killed the talent on the Jets, and was a cause for the decline in rex's teams. i still believe that was a contributing factor, but there is no arguing your points on Rex are valid, and I'm very disappointed in his performance as a HC this year.

It's sad as i'm sure he's going no where for awhile.

Turns out you were pretty much right if that was your opinion before the season. Penalties killed us all year long. Players quit. We all know the story.

The most surprising part is the D not responding at all to his scheme.

Its not surprising that most teams would have given him another chance just like the Bills, sighting the Jets mess of a front office as the reason why they looked so bad at the end of his tenure in NJ.

The people who really watched those Jets games knew it though. The fans could see right through him, just like you Wrecks. Ill hand it to ya, Jets fans arent the best looking, the smartest, the most rational or even smart at all, but if there is one thing that NYC knows, its football. Guys like you and Spags who suffered with this fool for too long. The type of guys who beat their sisters with wooden spaghetti spoons.

Well he's ours now, and like you said, for one game, Rex can be Swayze in Roadhouse. So whats your prediction for this Sunday? Mine, 41-24 Bills.

His offense looks great (no input? He's the one who got the QB) and he seems to motivate very well. I don't get the "I told you so" and I'm not even a Bills fan. I don't know about the discipline part but I also think worrying about penalties is overrated. The Jets seem to get plenty of their own so I wouldn't laugh so soon.

Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

That's exactly what happened every year in New York. "We're gonna build on that strong finish and..........(insert unrealistic expectation here)... I feel for you guys, I do. I despise Rex and although the division rival in me loves it, I wouldn't wish that guy on anyone.

but…but…you just wait until next year because….continuity.

LOL Another thing that was said all along during his tenure in New York. "You can't change coaches every year (2, 3, whatever) and expect an organization to be successful!!!!" My take was always that once you know something isn't working, you move on regardless.

Turns out you were pretty much right if that was your opinion before the season. Penalties killed us all year long. Players quit. We all know the story.

The most surprising part is the D not responding at all to his scheme.

Its not surprising that most teams would have given him another chance just like the Bills, sighting the Jets mess of a front office as the reason why they looked so bad at the end of his tenure in NJ.

The people who really watched those Jets games knew it though. The fans could see right through him, just like you Wrecks. Ill hand it to ya, Jets fans arent the best looking, the smartest, the most rational or even smart at all, but if there is one thing that NYC knows, its football. Guys like you and Spags who suffered with this fool for too long. The type of guys who beat their sisters with wooden spaghetti spoons.

Well he's ours now, and like you said, for one game, Rex can be Swayze in Roadhouse. So whats your prediction for this Sunday? Mine, 41-24 Bills.

I think Rex will have the Bills frothing at the mouth and if the Jets can weather the early storm (they have their own issues with starting strong, they usually make adjustments in the second half), the Jets will win going away because the Bills motivation/over hypedness (not a word, I know) will drain them by the 2nd quarter. If that does happen, Jets win - 31-20.

If the Bills take it right to the Jets and the Jets get down, which is entirely possible, then the BIlls could roll them up because the Jets play well when ahead, decently in a dogfight, but don't come from behind well. Bills win in that scenario. Call it 34-17.

Gun to my head, I say the Jets win, though.

To the rest of you, I swear I'm not trolling at all. And it's not an "I told you so" post, I am attempting to commiserate with people with whom I completely identify. It only seems like an "I told you so" attempt because I pointed out that no one would believe me.

I feel the guy is incapable of being a head coach and is best off as a defensive coordinator - although after seeing what he did to a top defense this year, that may not even be the case any longer.

I think that the initial feeling was that Rex's D would be toned down a bit, or at least slowly implemented, because the Bills had a really good defense already. Instead his defensive scheme is still confusing players 16 weeks into the season. And that's my biggest disappointment, he wanted his defensive scheme and would not compromise. I don't think he's a horrible coach, just stubborn. You have to be able to adjust your philosophies to your talent in this league, there's just too much turnover. My fear is that we bring in a bunch of players more suited for his defense and it still doesn't work. Then it's Buffalo's favorite time of year, rebuilding season...

OP is/was right.

As much as I hate seeing a Bills loss, especially against a division rival, I'd like to see the Bills get beat by the Jets this week for a few reasons:

- it hopefully would inch Rex closer to the door

- I think Fitzy deserves a playoff game, and I'm happy for him.

- we're out of the playoffs.. Wouldn't mind moving up a couple spots in the draft.

- it hopefully would inch Rex closer to the door

Also, it hopefully would inch Rex closer to the door.

Quotes from your posts and Momentoftrth (a jets fan who posted after the Rex signing

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175730-rex-ryan-from-a-jets-fan-pov/

I'm new here, and I'm a Jets fan. I wanted to join this board because I interact with a lot of fans from other AFC East teams on Jetsnation.com and now that Rex is in Buffalo I thought it would be interesting to see how his 2nd shot at running the show goes.

So here's my take on Rex, after 6 years of watching just about everything he did from his 1st "take a swipe at one of ours we will take a swipe at 2 of yours" press conference until his last day... a few short weeks ago. Jets fans were very split over Rex. Some diehard types signed on with Rex and never gave up on him. Others supported him when they were winning and started jumping ship somewhere around midway through the 2012 season. These days just about the whole fan base is focused on moving forward.

I am not a Rex Ryan fan, I should be very transparent about that. I'm not a Rex basher, but from the day he was signed I asked the question "why did one of the best run organizations in pro sports pass him over for the HC position and go with some unknown special teams coach?" I'm referring to The Ravens choosing Harbaugh over Rex in 2008. This could have caused a mutiny because Rex was so beloved by those players. But Ozzy Newsome felt that a guy, who was with that team for almost a decade at that point, was missing something important. I wondered what that was back in January of 2009.

I attended my first Rex Ryan practice in August of 09'. I was truly stunned at the pace and overall atmosphere. It was so casual. Rex walked around socializing with players and coaches, the drills that were being run were sloppy with zero intensity.... I was not panicked, but it seemed like something was missing.

I liked that Rex decided to trust his gut and start Sanchez as a rookie. He was asked about the rocky road that may lie ahead by having a rookie starter and Rex gave the best answer I ever heard. He said "with Mark we aren't waiting on a mistake, we are waiting on a play". That quote is Rex Ryan. I was impressed with that approach and it really shows the good Rex brings to the table. He got a lot out of Mark those first two years because he has an optimistic outlook that really motivates everyone around him. I would say he's special in that way.

So that's the positive about Rex. He believes, he motivates, and it's not an act. Trust me, this guy is the real deal, what you see is what you get.

Now on to the bad Rex. The reason I feel he failed with my Jets is because of one main thing... he is a good department manager.... or in the NFL a coordinator. He does not have the qualities one would want to see in a CEO. A CEO, a high level executive who leads a billion dollar business, has no room in their life for loyalty. A CEO has to be cold, calculated, and always focused on the bottom line.

For example, when John Harbaugh was told what happened in the elevator with Ray Rice he was the only one in the room with all of the top Ravens brass who said.... without hesitation, he needs to be cut. It's well known that Harbaugh and Rice had a very close relationship as player and coach. But the CEO mindset made it clear to Harbaugh that behavior like that couldn't be tolerated and I'm sure he was also worried about the backlash from the media. The owner of the Ravens and their legendary GM are pretty high level executives and even they admitted that Harbaugh was the only one who made that call from day 1.

Rex does not favor competition, because of his loyalty. Over and over I would see him crown a guy a starter (at any position) and then just let the guy struggle... not just for weeks or months but for multiple seasons. My top 3 examples are Sanchez ( I won't say much about him, he was a disaster from early 2011 to the end of 2012, it's well documented) Eric Smith (safety) and the one and only Bart Scott.

If you don't really follow the Jets you may not even know who Smith is. He was out starter for 3 years under Rex, and he was horrendous. He was a big hitter....and that was it. He missed tackles all over the field (week in and week out) and he couldnt cover the slowest tight end in the NFL. But he was a Rex guy, and he started like 40 plus games under Rex.

Scott was the #1 guy Rex targeted when he left the Ravens. Rex and our GM were actually parked in front of Bart's house in Maryland on the night free agency started in 2009. The clock struck midnight and they rang his bell. That's how much Rex needed him. He was pure, hot garbage. He was given a ridiculous contract and never came near beating out David Harris for the starting ILB spot. Not only did he miss tackles in the most glorious fashion each week but he also drew the most idiotic penalties that cost us games.

But, he was a big talker and Rex truly loved this guy. So he drained our salary cap and was a waste of space on our team for 4 years. This is how loyalty can hinder you as a CEO.

What I saw with Rex as our coach (even in 2009 & 2010 when we had success) was a few definitive characteristics.

Inexplicable presnap penalties and general confusion. The 12 men on the field thing happened at least 80% of the games Rex coached over his 6 years.

We saw the defense give up huge plays at key moments routinely, even when they would dominate 80% of the snaps. Giving up long drives before half time was common.

Offensively, turn overs... That's it, turn overs and horrible red zone effeciency. Remember we had 3 different OC's, 2 different highly drafted QB's and 2 different GM's. And the offense always seemed to have the same issues.

Stubborn play calling and overall defensive system. Rex doesn't contour anything to the talent on the team. I also never saw any halftime adjustments. If we started out struggling running the ball. In the 2nd half, we ran the ball more. If we were getting beat with long passes because of aggressive blitzing, in the second half we kept bring 6 and 7 guys on the pass rush.

Delusional praising of players. Just look at some of the post game pressers in 2014 alone. We'd lose by 20+ points and he would talk about how Richardson played just as hard in the 1st quarter as he did in the 4th. He may have registerd 2 tackles, zero sacks, zero passes batted down, and we gave up 100+ yards on the ground... But Rex wants to praise our defenses effort.

Finally was the lack of accountability. You may have followed Geno Smiths nightmare season in 2014. You all had an underachiever of your own in Buffalo. But your situation was handled properly. When the season was still up for grabs you benched your #1 draft pick from the previous year. He wasn't getting it done so you went with the vet. Rex's approach with a young QB is what I call the "ride it to the wheels come off" method. He drove Geno into the ground, while letting a savvy seasoned vet sit on the bench and watch. He waited until 1-7 to pull the guy with the 2nd worst QBR in the league. He also did nothing when Geno flipped off the fans in our stadium after being heckled for a horrendous loss, and did nothing when he skipped a team meeting the night before a game.

When the Seahwaks signed Mat Flynn as a free agent years back they gave him pretty decent money. I think he was getting 8 to 10 million that first year. They also drafted a 3rd rounder who was undersized and getting paid about $450,000. The underdog won the completion fair and square, and they are about to win their 2nd championship in 2 years ...and Flynn is a distance memory.

Rex would have NEVER started Wilson. Even if Flynn went out and threw 20 INt's. That's a fact.

Obviously as a a Jets fan I don't want to see the Bills or any other AFC team have success. But I honestly don't wish your team negativity with Rex. I hope he does hit the reset button and learn from the past. But keep in mind some of my observations after 6 years with him. If you see this same stuff happening it may be a red flag. So far I like the energy he's brought to Buffalo but I am pretty shocked with some of the offensive coaches he has brought with him from my Jets. Guys who have terrible track records. It feels like vintage Rex, but let's see the results before judging his decisions.