Pettine officially fired by Browns; Marrone to interview

YoloinOhio

What coach with options is going to walk into that mess?

Pettine was their 5th choice or something like that last time around, wasn't he?

There are a lot of coaches for whom the chance to help choose the GM would be an attraction... my guess is Marrone is one of them.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That front office structure sounds like a disaster...

The Bills have struggled but the Browns are a total train wreck and what sucks most for their fans is that everyone just got fired but the owner is already set things up to be a mess all over again

Not really a Banner fan, but he really should have kept him

Marrone is verbose with almost no substance.

@tomecurran

All owners considering Doug Marrone as a head coach should read a Marrone PC transcript first. Blizzard of words with no point at all.

I think Marrone's agent is working overtime to make it look like he is in demand. Just like last offseason. There doesn't seem to be any more substance to it this season than there was last.

What coach with options is going to walk into that mess?

Pettine was their 5th choice or something like that last time around, wasn't he?

IIRC they were hard after Dougie and we offered him the most. Or at least that is what Sexton floated out through his connections

I think Marrone is an average head coach.

He seems to be able to get good assistants. Pepper and Schwartz for example.

I think Marrone has the potential to be a good Head Coach if he learns from the few things that undermined him here. His accountability and leadership was actions not just words.... until he quit of course....

I think Marrone's agent is working overtime to make it look like he is in demand. Just like last offseason. There doesn't seem to be any more substance to it this season than there was last.

Marrone will get a job this time around.

I think Marrone is an average head coach.

He seems to be able to get good assistants. Pepper and Schwartz for example.

I think Marrone knows how to identify guys who want a chance to prove themselves and piggy backs off them. I guess that's what a HC is supposed to do, I only wished when he was here he had gotten an experienced OC from the get go and made Hackett our QB coach.

Edited by The Jokeman

Why? What's your point? Do you have verifiable evidence he was inappropriate with the secretary. This would be big news. Please share it. Otherwise you're just validating my point about the irrational character assassination he was victimized by while leading the team to its first winning record with a great defense and a total crap of offense that he was able to get nine wins out of. But...like I said, if you have actual evidence that he was abusive to a secretary I personally would like to see it. Your turn.

Nothing like what you are suggesting by "inappropriate." I am not suggesting anything like that at all. It is interesting that you would think that though.

I would invite you to speak to anyone who worked in that building and ask them how he treated people -- not just football people -- but ordinary people that are just trying to make a living. You can come up with your own opinion about him.

I'm hearing the Browns have already agreed with Brian Kelly (Notre Dame HC) and Duke Tobin (Bengals DPP) to be the next HC and GM, respectively. They are going through formalities with the HC search and waiting for Tobin to become officially available (once the Bengals are no longer in playoffs).

There are a lot of coaches for whom the chance to help choose the GM would be an attraction... my guess is Marrone is one of them.

They didn't let their GM pick their HC last time. Honestly Cleveland is a badly run franchise, they might luck out if get an good personnel guy that can bring in a solid HC candidate yet as eluded not sure who wants to go there unless it's a guy just begging to get his chance to prove himself and I can't see one of the big name guys that can be GM/HC land there either as I think their owner meddles way too much.

I am still trying to figure out how the Browns are going to hire Marrone as their HC. Did they get permission from the Jets to interview him?

It is funny how the same people who were spreading rumors about him getting the Jets and Bears jobs are now spreading rumors about him and the Browns . . . .

Nothing like what you are suggesting by "inappropriate." I am not suggesting anything like that at all. It is interesting that you would think that though.

I would invite you to speak to anyone who worked in that building and ask them how he treated people -- not just football people -- but ordinary people that are just trying to make a living. You can come up with your own opinion about him.[/quot

Did YOU speak to anyone who worked that building and ask them how he treated people? If so give dates, names and statements. Otherwise it seems you're repeating things you heard but did not actually experience. You say this. Now give me some irrefutable evidence or it's just hearsay. Again, this is exactly what I'm talking about. He didn't change from a decent guy to a monster when he went from Syracuse to the Bills. I'm sorry, no offense intended but I get the feeling you really don't know what your talking about but just repeating some rumor you heard.

I am still trying to figure out how the Browns are going to hire Marrone as their HC. Did they get permission from the Jets to interview him?

It is funny how the same people who were spreading rumors about him getting the Jets and Bears jobs are now spreading rumors about him and the Browns . . . .

He's got a good agent trying to make it look like he's in demand.

I would invite you to speak to anyone who worked in that building and ask them how he treated people -- not just football people -- but ordinary people that are just trying to make a living. You can come up with your own opinion about him.[/quot

Did YOU speak to anyone who worked that building and ask them how he treated people? If so give dates, names and statements. Otherwise it seems you're repeating things you heard but did not actually experience. You say this. Now give me some irrefutable evidence or it's just hearsay. Again, this is exactly what I'm talking about. He didn't change from a decent guy to a monster when he went from Syracuse to the Bills. I'm sorry, no offense intended but I get the feeling you really don't know what your talking about but just repeating some rumor you heard.

Go ahead and do that yourself. I have my own sources and I am "obviously" (to quote St. Doug) not going to burn them for you or anyone else. I really do not care whether you believe me or not. Big deal.

In my opinion, the guy was a total douchebag.

In fact you do not even have to interview anyone who worked in that building if you are afraid to find out the answer. Watch that PC where St. Doug treated Scott Berchtold as if he cleaned Marrone's toilettes. Actually, I think that there was more than one. If that is the way St. Doug treated the Senior VP of Communications on camera you can draw your own conclusions as to how he treated people who worked in that building off camera.

Go ahead and do that yourself. I have my own sources and I am "obviously" (to quote St. Doug) not going to burn them for you or anyone else. I really do not care whether you believe me or not. Big deal.

In my opinion, the guy was a total douchebag.

In fact you do not even have to interview anyone who worked in that building if you are afraid to find out the answer. Watch that PC where St. Doug treated Scott Berchtold as if he cleaned Marrone's toilettes. Actually, I think that there was more than one. If that is the way St. Doug treated the Senior VP of Communications on camera you can draw your own conclusions as to how he treated people who worked in that building off camera.

Sorry, your reference to out of context media snippets as evidence, to me, is very weak. What you're doing is engaging in rumor mongering, nothing more IMO. Sorry, you've got nothing. Good night and happy New Year.