Pettine officially fired by Browns; Marrone to interview

YoloinOhio

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are probably coming to the conclusion that they cannot attract any kind of quality HC at this stage with this hiring/firing record since the 'Cheat:

[22] 10 Bill Belichick 19911995 80 36 44 0 .450 2 1 1 .500 [23][N 3]19961998 11 Chris Palmer* 19992000 32 5 27 0 .156 — — — — [24] 12 Butch Davis* 20012004 58 24 34 0 .414 1 0 1 .000 [25] 13 Terry Robiskie (interim) 2004 6 1 5 0 .167 — — — — [26] 14 Romeo Crennel 20052008 64 24 40 0 .375 — — — — [27] 15 Eric Mangini 20092010 32 10 22 0 .313 — — — — [28] 16 Pat Shurmur* 20112012 32 9 23 0 .281 — — — — [29] 17 Rob Chudzinski* 2013 16 4 12 0 .250 — — — — [30] 18 Mike Pettine* 20142015 30 10 20 0 .333 — — — —

Edited by filthymcnasty08

I'm happy for him, and believe it is the right call. They need continuity there, and he deserves at least two more years to get it turned around. One example of a good coach who had an owner be very patient is Cincy with Marvin Lewis. He had a lot of bad years, but with a good front office eventually provided enough talent to ahve a team make the playoffs 5 years with this one in a row. I don't care if they lost as Buffalo fans would trade that record with ours.

I don't like the idea of burdening a new GM with a holdover head coach.

Pettine's status should be up in the air until a GM is found. Find the right GM and let him pick the coach.

Otherwise you have the same garbage situation we have here where the owner picked the coach and has him reporting directly to the owner. The GM should select the coach he wants and should be able to fire him at his discretion.

The Browns just have no talent.

The only time I think of the Browns is when I see highlights of Gary Barnidge. We've seen heaps of "good" TEs excel through the years because of their elite quarterback -- team's other spectacular receivers -- strong running game -- or combination of the three. Then those TEs get rich contracts with other teams and stink up the joint (Julius Thomas, Jimmy Graham being the most recent examples). I genuinely can't recall a TE who has had this much success playing with dud QBs, WRs and RBs. He's been almost matchup-proof this year and for whatever reason, it bugs me that there's no logical reason why.

I hope for Pettine's sake the next GM finds him a real QB to work with because they have nothing to develop for the long term on the current roster.

@PFF

Matt Ryan had the highest accuracy percentage this weekend at 93.1% (23 for 30, four drops, one throwaway). Johnny Manziel last at 46.4%

Pettine's status should be up in the air until a GM is found. Find the right GM and let him pick the coach.

Otherwise you have the same garbage situation we have here where the owner picked the coach and has him reporting directly to the owner. The GM should select the coach he wants and should be able to fire him at his discretion.

Agreed 100%!

Keeping Pettine and firing the GM makes little sense. Pettine will end up being a lame duck just waiting to get fired so the new GM can hire his own coach. That, or the GM they hire will have little power over the coach of his team. Sort of like what we have here.