Would you re-sign Harvin to $3m incentive laden contract?

Kelly the Dog

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find another receiver ASAP, not Harvin. Woods should only be considered a #3 and Hogan should consider a career in Lacrosse.

Oh please. Hogan isn't a star but he certainly has proven he can play in this league. If only we kept Rogers!

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Harvin>Goodwin.

I'd give Goodwin $800k for 1 year with a 2nd year option @ $2mm. Incentives in there bringing it up.

I'd give Harvin a base of $750 or whatever is the lowest we can pay him. I would go above and beyond that already said about him playing on game day; don't want him on the field limping all game. $250 for a healthy training camp and preseaon. $100k to be on the game day $50k for every full week of practice. $250k if he is active for more than 8 games and we make playoffs.

I'd bet that comes out to $2.5mm if he plays up to what we would hope.

I'd rather throw money at Mohomad Sanu. I think Ruben Randel El is like Mario Manningham, but I'd still kick the tires a little.

Travis Benjamin could also be a ??? Small, though.

Alshon Jeffrey is now the prize for WR.

http://overthecap.com/2016-nfl-free-agency-wide-receiver-overview/

Edited by Boyst62

Oh please. Hogan isn't a star but he certainly has proven he can play in this league. If only we kept Rogers!

Woods and Hogan definitely have places on NFL rosters.

I'd see us getting another legit WR, hopefully with some size, and Woods/Hogan are the dependable depth guys, and someone like Harvin, if you get him cheap enough, is the every now and then home run hitter.

Rex gets sense Harvin wants to play in 2016

There were a myriad of reports just before midseason that Percy Harvin, who was ultimately placed on injured reserve by the Bills, that the 27-year old receiver was considering retirement. Bills head coach Rex Ryan has maintained contact with Harvin and said Monday he gets the sense that Harvin intends to continue his playing career.

“I’ve talked to him a couple of times, but just texts back and forth,” said Ryan. “I think I’ve talked to him once and I’ve texted him a few times. More about a personal variety than about where he is on the injury front. I get the sense he wants to play. He had the surgery because he wants to play.”

Hogan stinks. He regressed from last year, when he was average. He tries and is a willing and good blocker though. I will give him that. He's a crappy WR.

I think he is fine as your 4th or 5th option, just not as a 2 or 3. After his drop (which truly did suck) yesterday, he made some nice catches and blocks.

Rex said today Harvin wants to still play. There is no way we keep him at his contract. There is no way IMO anyone pays him a decent contract next year based on his injury history and production history and various other factors. Personally I would have no problem signing him to a smallish deal with incentives for games active, starts and production. I think he would entertain re-signing here. At 3m I still know it is a risk and less than 50% chance he plays 15-16 games but it's a risk I would take.

I wouldn't want it to dissuade us from finding another #2 or #3 or #4 WR in FA or the draft though. And I totally understand why people would say no or not worth the risk.

No thank you

You read my mind. I was thinking this today as I was getting ready for work.

Harvin definitely did not play to the level of being worth 9 mil for next year. He isn't worth the 6 mil that will go on the books if we cut him.

But the honest truth is that the FA market for receivers is thin this year, and we desperately need a boundary receiver who can take pressure off Watkins and Woods doesn't seem up for the task. We have a lot of holes to fill at LB aND quite possibly O-line.

Crossing off one thing you need at a reasonable expense would be a good thing.

if the staff thinks they can work a healthy Harvin into an average of 20 plays a game, i'd guarantee him $1.6M for the season, with $10,000 a play after week 8. the gauranteed $1.6M pays him what he's worth over the first 8 games, and the $10,000 a play gives him an opportunity to earn another $1.6M over the last 8 games by staying healthy and productive

Edited by BackInDaDay

The problem is the opportunity cost. I know you've built that into your question but I don't think it's that simple. So you go ahead and target another #2 WR as a backup plan - that's fine, but you're still using up a roster spot and cap dollars on someone who has proven only that he is undependable. And it's not like he's considered a "coach on the field" or locker room leader (nor is he a negative influence).

The Bills are going to have a small margin for error next year with the schedule they have and the division they play in. Personally, I'd invest heavily in special teams (start by upgrading the coordinator) because most teams don't, and that gives you an edge in one of the three aspects of the game. There is market inefficiency in special teams. I'd also invest in the linebacking corps - targeting lots of athletic depth that can help you on ST as well as in Rex's sub-packages. I'd find another tight end to compliment Clay, perhaps a blocker who can also move a bit. I'd get rid of the fullback. And I'd find a tall, dependable #2 WR. Here is a ridiculous idea: take the money allocated toward Mario and use it on Calvin Johnson. Good luck matching up against that offense.