Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rams fans were about to run him out of town before the 1999 season happened and he backed into a guy named Kurt Warner.

He had exactly one winning season in St. Louis.

Chiefs fans ultimately grew tired of him too. Nice guy, great speeches but few wins. Two winning seasons.

Game passed him by at that point.

So, we don't want Parcells because he only took a team from 1-15 to a division title in one year.

And, Vermeil only had one winnning season in St. Louis - one SUPER BOWL winning season - out of three. Yeah, what a bust!

And, Chiefs fans grew tired of him - when his final year was a 10-6 season?!?

I'd love to be tired of somebody like that.

I can't understand how people can defend any process or employee involved with football in any way at OBD.. it's like Stockholm syndrome.

I don't think he is that bad, bUT whaley has failed as a gm. The results speak loudly. The coaches are not an external factor, they are on him and they are a trainwreck. Botched the qb position again. They actually walked into a season with ej, tuel, and thad lewis.

1 Pro Bowler........that Whaley is something special.......can't afford to lose him.......(sarcasm)

Since Whaley took over the draft (assume 2013), a total of 8 pro bowlers have been drafted.

By 7 GMs

Darby really could've been one, but wasn't.

So by that marker, there are 25 GMs that should be fired, including those from NE, Carolina, Denver, & Seattle.

I cant believe there are people who actually think the Bills would be better off without Whaley

The guy gave us arguably one of the most talented rosters on paper in over a decade.

Not his fault the HC didnt have a clue what to do with them

CBF

Is the GM not to blame for coaches?

Doug Whaley was brought in when they were 6-10

they went 4-12, 6-10, 6-10, 6-10, 9-7, and now 6-8 (now featuring cap trouble)

Its really not that inspiring.

Is the GM not to blame for coaches?

Doug Whaley was brought in when they were 6-10

they went 4-12, 6-10, 6-10, 6-10, 9-7, and now 6-8 (now featuring cap trouble)

Its really not that inspiring.

Whaley has only been the GM for the past 2 seasons

One of which gave the Bills their first winning season in the past 10 years

CBF

Rams fans were about to run him out of town before the 1999 season happened and he backed into a guy named Kurt Warner.

He had exactly one winning season in St. Louis.

Chiefs fans ultimately grew tired of him too. Nice guy, great speeches but few wins. Two winning seasons.

Game passed him by at that point.

Edit: I suspect I should preface by explaining that Vermeil came up when I requested an example of a coach who returned to coaching after a stint as a broadcaster and had success.

I'm not suggested and no one has suggested Vermeil as a come-back coach to the Bills.

There's some truth in this, kind of like yeast in bread. There's yeast in bread, but there's also more to it.

The Rams were a perennial losing team when Vermeil took over, 7 years of losing seasons, to be exact. They were on the same Cycle of Futility as the current Bills, never bad enough to draft at the top but not good enough to win, changing coaches every 2-3 years. They had swung on a QB (Tony Banks) the year before, and it took a while to become apparent they had swung and missed.

Notable additions to the team under Vermeil included all-pro tackle Orlando Pace, WR Torry Holt and Az Hakim through draft, and Marshall Faulk from the Colts in 1999. Promoting 'Mad Mike' Martz to OC had a lot to do with it. Warner was actually a "Brady" type situation where they had been cultivating him in NFL Europe, he'd played very well in pre-season, and the Rams had a pretty good idea what they had but weren't prepared to bench Green for him, so he wasn't quite the "grocery bagger to NFL" success story that's been told.

I didn't follow Vermeil in KC enough to confirm or deny your comments there, but he did bring them 2 winning seasons and a playoff appearance in 5 seasons, which is more than I can say for any Bills coach in the last 16 years.

So yeah, he was about to be run out of town by a trigger-happy fan base that was tired of losing seasons, in St Louis, true. And just as it can be said of Belichek he was "one Mo Lewis hit away from the unemployment line" it could be said Vermeil was "One Trent Green ACL tear away from the unemployment line", but there's more to it than that.

Edited by Hopeful

I cant believe there are people who actually think the Bills would be better off without Whaley

The guy gave us arguably one of the most talented rosters on paper in over a decade.

Not his fault the HC didnt have a clue what to do with them

CBF

Agree 100%

I don't recall the last parent I met who said anything other than they have the smartest most gifted child and when any issues pop up it is always the teachers fault. Parents are a lot like Bills fans. If we had/have so much !@#$ing talent why can't we even make the playoffs. I guess it is always the teachers fault.

I don't recall the last parent I met who said anything other than they have the smartest most gifted child and when any issues pop up it is always the teachers fault. Parents are a lot like Bills fans. If we had/have so much !@#$ing talent why can't we even make the playoffs. I guess it is always the teachers fault.

If a new teacher took over the classroom with the same students, and test scores declined significantly, who would you blame?