We Need A Real QB

The_Dude

Oh, so he's not putting up top 10 numbers? I keep reading he is. According to your line he's number 23. I think earlier in the year he was. But now he is no longer. I'm in the minority I guess. I expected him to do well in the off season, and he has.

But you don't "gotta get it done or you will likely lose" if you're not behind.

He's 23 in 1 stat, yards per game, which is heavily influenced by the fact that he's 25th in attempts. He's top 5 in YPA, INTs, and Rating...

You can't have a comeback if you're never behind.

Again with you not even reading what I said. It is a game winning drive.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tyrod starts next season, we will miss playoff for the 17th year. We are so use to watching bad QB plays that some of you have forgotten what a real QB looks like. Tyrod is very limited. He cannot see the field. He is indecisive. Do not have on field leadership. He can barely pass for 200 yards per game and suck at making first down. I cannot root for this guy. We may not have a better option this year but we need to continue to try to replace him with first round draft picks.

This team keep jumping over the like of Aaron Rogers and Joe Flacco when drafting because they already had JP Losman, Trent Edwards on the roster. They should have never felt comfortable with who they had. If they don't change their way of searching for QB, they will never find one.

If Tyrod starts next season, we will miss playoff for the 17th year. We are so use to watching bad QB plays that some of you have forgotten what a real QB looks like. Tyrod is very limited. He cannot see the field. He is indecisive. Do not have on field leadership. He can barely pass for 200 yards per game and suck at making first down. I cannot root for this guy. We may not have a better option this year but we need to continue to try to replace him with first round draft picks.

This team keep jumping over the like of Aaron Rogers and Joe Flacco when drafting because they already had JP Losman, Trent Edwards on the roster. They should have never felt comfortable with who they had. If they don't change their way of searching for QB, they will never find one.

Players that cannot see the field and are indecisive get INTERCEPTED.........

You dont know ****

Taylor may or may not be the answer, but he most certainly was not the reason we lost this game nor the season.

My list includes:

• Very poor defensive play led by an overpaid and underachieving DL
  • An offensive, offensive line. Can't punch it in from the one when your center is tossed around like a rag doll. Or make a comeback when your LT dives at a DEs feet and whiffs. Some point to Kelley as the last time we had a great QB and I agree, but he also had a great OL and lost when that OL got manhandled by massive DLs from Dallas and Washington. Gotta fix the holes in the OL.
  • Coaching. Our play calling was very questionable throughout the year and especially early on when it mattered. The D tanking the way it did must be laid at the feet of the coaching staff.
  • Injuries all around but especially in the D secondary hurt us later in the year.
  • Big special team's gaffs that aren't the norm in Buffalo.

All of the above come before Tyrod's play in what amounts to his rookie year. He will be back for next year and Manuel is still lurking. We do need to start drafting QBs in the 3-5 rounds and hope one hits. I liked Cousins coming out of Mich St and was disappointed when we didn't draft him. That said, he has struggled at the NFL level and only recently been anointed the Foreskins savior playing well but on a .500 team. QBs need time to develop and rarely do you get a finished product right out of college.

Edited by Bills Fan of Maryland

Taylor may or may not be the answer, but he most certainly was not the reason we lost this game nor the season.

My list includes:

• Very poor defensive play led by an overpaid and underachieving DL
  • An offensive, offensive line. Can't punch it in from the one when your center is tossed around like a rag doll. Or make a comeback when your LT dives at a DEs feet and whiffs. Some point to Kelley as the last time we had a great QB and I agree, but he also had a great OL and lost when that OL got manhandled by massive DLs from Dallas and Washington. Gotta fix the holes in the OL.
  • Coaching. Our play calling was very questionable throughout the year and especially early on when it mattered. The D tanking the way it did must be laid at the feet of the coaching staff.
  • Injuries all around but especially in the D secondary hurt us later in the year.
  • Big special team's gaffs that aren't the norm in Buffalo.

All of the above come before Tyrod's play in what amounts to his rookie year. He will be back for next year and Manuel is still lurking. We do need to start drafting QBs in the 3-5 rounds and hope one hits. I liked Cousins coming out of Mich St and was disappointed when we didn't draft him. That said, he has struggled at the NFL level and only recently been anointed the Foreskins savior playing well but on a .500 team. QBs need time to develop and rarely do you get a finished product right out of college.

With that rationale EJ has not completed his rookie campaign? I like Cousins as well, I think the Redskins will lock him up. The FA class looks as bleak as the draft class.

Fact is most fans don't have the patience to develop a qb.

Overall, Taylor was solid. Still has some major flaws and I don't see him being the type of guy who can carry a team. But he definitely should go into camp penciled into as a starter and a qb or 2 should be added to the mix.

Why are you people still talking about EJ when the consensus is that he's gone in 2016?

With the possibility of Taylor breaking the record and TT = Flutie. Exciting to watch (at times) because of the unpredictability but still too small to be a great QB.

We have one of the worst QB situations in the league and Bills fans be like "yeah! Lock that up long term!" Just because what we have is better than what we had.
Orton was a better QB than Taylor.

What was that article / thread from months ago?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13382343/buffalo-bills-almost-quarterback-purgatory-gm-doug-whaley-says

GM Doug Whaley says Bills are 'almost in quarterback purgatory

We have one of the worst QB situations in the league and Bills fans be like "yeah! Lock that up long term!" Just because what we have is better than what we had.

Who is it that you want?

Just to be clear you know everyone that you don't want but don't have a solution to offer? That really doesn't make for good conversation. If you want to complain call the WGR whiner line. If you want to discuss the team come here with your solution to your perceived problem.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

As I've said, practice is not real live game action. You hear it said over and over again from the players. If you want to count some garbage time here and there as 13 regular season GAMES then more power to you. It is his 1st 12 games STARTED. Please again, post his first 12 games vs others first 12 games.

Look chief, the prior poster said TT is a TOP 10 QB in the NFL right now, I threw out a list of QBs who I do not think he is better than RIGHT NOW. Has nothing to do with his "first 12 games", and oh by the way TT has played in 25 games now over the course of 5 years, but keep beating that same excuse laden EJ drum, must be how you roll.

Instead of answering a question with a question, just try answering the question or does it not fit your narrative? Because you know damn well that TT is behind everyone on that list RIGHT NOW.

Edited by old school

Do you remember how dreadful the Bills' offense was under Orton last season? They had at least three games with no offensive TDs (CLE, GB, and @MIA). Orton was often inaccurate, played with self preservation in mind (See the Kitty Slide for reference), was terrible on deep balls, and offered no threat in the run game. Exactly how is Orton better than Tyrod?

and yet he struggles making his second read and doesn't do much passing in the middle of the field and struggles sustaining drives and in the redzone. All things that count in winning and losing in the NFL. Tyrod's better than I predicted but he isn't as great as his stats make him out to be,

See, this is where I get frustrated with this board sometimes. You're correct, and these are flaws. And the more film there is, the more Ds figure it out. In addition, when he hangs onto the ball too long, he'll cough the ball up and once the D's are more ready for it, more COP.

Yet I like Tyrod. He's exciting, he's got that "it" factor, he can make plays with his legs and yet he's always looking to extend the play and go downfield. He's a gamer, he's positive, he's trying to lead.

Let me help you out here. Taylor's had two problems this year: 1) The number of three and outs (you're right there). 2) The lack of game winning drives in the fourth quarter.

Your other two arguments are the same that all of the Tyrod haters on here continually spew, and it's garbage. In regard to struggling to make his second read, Tyrod has a great completion percentage, yards per attempt, and low interception percentage. Basically, if he currently only throws to his first read (which is BS), then he's doing a pretty damn good job of that, so why change it; however, like I said, this argument against Tyrod is a joke.

You don't know who Tyrod is looking at from your couch (as much as you want to believe you do). A QB doesn't need to completely move his head or be moving his feet to be going through some of his reads. Also, if Tyrod was just locking his eyes on one guy constantly, then why has he not thrown more picks this year? Just curious, because usually that's one of the bigger problems when a QB doesn't get off of his first read .That, or they take a sack, which hasn't been a huge issue for Tyrod this year either (currently middle of the pack).

In regard to struggling in the red zone, all I can say is the Bills are currently 15th in TD percentage when in the red zone. Now, that's not great, but it's not something that I would say is a problem for a QB starting for the first time in the NFL.

The problem is lack of middle ground around here. If one provides rational critique of the current popular guy, one becomes a "hater"

If one defends the current hate-object from overthetop or unbalanced critique, one becomes a "lover" or whatever.

It's not "garbage" "spewed by haters" to say that Tyrod does not throw over the middle of the field. The stats show it - the Bills % of throws over the middle of the field is quite down this year, and even Bills shill Chris Brown acknowledged this on a recent Coach Sal broadcast and stated that at 6'1", Taylor can't see the middle of the field unless he has passing lanes.

It's also not "garbage" to see that sometimes Taylor has an open man whom he ignores in favor of a more tightly covered or low percentage guy. This is what people are seeing when they say he doesn't see his 2nd read sometime - it's not a matter of "knowing who Tyrod is looking at from your couch", it's a matter of watching the all-22 and seeing that an easy throw is being overlooked in favor of a lower percentage toss. The low incompletions don't tell the whole story - sometimes Tyrod just doesn't throw it and scrambles around or dumps off instead, and yes, he doesn't take huge numbers of sacks but that's because of his running abilities which let him get back to or past the LOS or OOB. It shows when you look at the number of plays that are pretty clearly designed to be pass plays, and don't result in thrown passes, and the low overall pass yardage.

The Bills big problem (and again, this is in the stats) is the percentage of drives which get them INTO the red zone. This is pitiful.

I would like one to be able to have some balanced discussion without having to be either a "lover" or a "hater". I like Taylor. I want to see him succeed, but these problems have to be acknowledged and addressed for him to progress.

Fact is most fans don't have the patience to develop a qb.

Overall, Taylor was solid. Still has some major flaws and I don't see him being the type of guy who can carry a team. But he definitely should go into camp penciled into as a starter and a qb or 2 should be added to the mix.

I go with this, both points.

Players that cannot see the field and are indecisive get INTERCEPTED.........

Well, no. Not if they haul it down and run or check down instead.

ESPN and the pro bowl committee answered the question

Or made a statement on the talent he has to work with. Taylor is the best QB the Bills have had in awhile, but he's not the answer. Rex isn't the answer either, but we knew that a couple years ago