PB52 worst NFL MLB per PFF

boyst

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/17/preston-brown-graded-as-the-worst-inside-linebacker-in-the-nfl-by-pro-football-focus/

Can't say it's not far off base. Based on what I have seen he has been left in the dark, lost on the field and the worst part is that it has seemingly got worse the longer the season goes.

I like Brown, I think he has a lot of tools to play alongside a better run stuffing MLB. He was a perfect compliment to Spikes. Together, Spikes Brown and Alonso would have been a hell of a duo. Right now, Manny Lawson is our best LB, which says a lot - though, he is playing very well currently.

To get all complicated, Brown cannot play close to the LOS by any means. He gets swallowed up and lost in blockers. In comparison, the tenacity of Spikes allowed him to occupy blockers and close down space so other players can assist in the tackle. Alonso was quick and could defeat blockers with speed. Brown is a quick but doesn't have whatever it was that Alonso had to get beyond the blockers to get to the ball. He also doesn't have the nose for the ball that Alonso did but does cover better than Spikes. Spikes' biggest knock in New England was coverage; coverage he had no business going in to, as he did not have the tools to drop. He is a cover the flats and middle without dropping LB.

Brown needs play SLB or WLB. Lawson subbing in or playing opposite. We need a better MLB, especially without crap for an NT.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's has a bad year overall. I do like him as a LB on this team but the MLB role in this defense is a bit more than he can handle. There will be a new MLB next year

The more I think about it, overthinking it, I could see Brown losing his starting gig in 2015.

I could see Powell coming in at SLB successfully in 2016 with Bradham holding on to the WLB. A new MLB puts Brown on the bench; in fact, imagine dealing Brown for ??-Alonso/McCoy deal?

The more I think about it, overthinking it, I could see Brown losing his starting gig in 2015.

I could see Powell coming in at SLB successfully in 2016 with Bradham holding on to the WLB. A new MLB puts Brown on the bench; in fact, imagine dealing Brown for ??-Alonso/McCoy deal?

Ty Powell was playing great and on the upside. He will be a big addition to next year's defense

How did Brown and Bradham's performance drop so much from last year?

They are being asked to do more mentally (and some extra physically). Schwartz ran a very basic scheme. I've come around to the idea that we have a lot of guys that are gifted athletes but not gifted students of the game.

Edited by NoSaint

Anyone watch Tyler Metakevich play this year? I wonder how he'll transition to the NFL. Hes undersized, but a complete gamer. He called all of the plays and pretty much ran Temple's D for the past two years.

As for PB, something needs to be done. He looked lost for most of the season.

They are being asked to do more mentally (and some extra physically). Schwartz ran a very basic scheme. I've come around to the idea that we have a lot of guys that are gifted athletes but not gifted students of the game.

Agree...what ever happened to having a scheme fit the players you have? What a waste of a whole season and a good defense.

OP the thread title is kinda cryptic...

Agree...what ever happened to having a scheme fit the players you have? What a waste of a whole season and a good defense.

While I somewhat agree with the "make the system fit the player", part of me also asks, how long should Rex have to wait to put in the D system he wants? Because the players we have can't get it, he should change what he does? Interesting debate...

I say put in your system and play it out, see who can perform and who cant. The real test is if Rex / Doug get rid of guys that aren't getting the job done and bring in some guys that can.

Wasted season, or year one of building something bigger? The pisser is we have to wait a while to see :beer:

Since this is a Brown thread, I should also add, PLEASE bring in some LBs that are beasts!!! Love to watch those guys crush people, and I'm not seeing a ton of that this year...

Edited by Heitz

Part of it is the drop off of the press and taking up blockers by the defensive line this year, and Rex Ryan and Thurman. He hasn't played his best football this year, neither has Bradford. They are not only missing tackles, and getting blocked out of the holes, they don't seem to create turnovers.....

Edited by midland

OP the thread title is kinda cryptic...

While I somewhat agree with the "make the system fit the player", part of me also asks, how long should Rex have to wait to put in the D system he wants? Because the players we have can't get it, he should change what he does? Interesting debate...

I say put in your system and play it out, see who can perform and who cant. The real test is if Rex / Doug get rid of guys that aren't getting the job done and bring in some guys that can.

Wasted season, or year one of building something bigger? The pisser is we have to wait a while to see :beer:

Since this is a Brown thread, I should also add, PLEASE bring in some LBs that are beasts!!! Love to watch those guys crush people, and I'm not seeing a ton of that this year...

I get your points but Brown and Bradham were really good last year...They were crushing people........

Anyone watch Tyler Metakevich play this year? I wonder how he'll transition to the NFL. Hes undersized, but a complete gamer. He called all of the plays and pretty much ran Temple's D for the past two years.

As for PB, something needs to be done. He looked lost for most of the season.

Ive just started and so far he reminds me of Chris Borland, not impressive athletically but ,intelligent, technically sound and instinctive, a heart and soul/max effort guy IMO for sure. IMO Chris Borland is what his transition upside could be.

As for PB, I think he's a pure 43 guy, but maybe the curve is steep with him in a 34, especially with his age and starting from scratch in a completely new defense as the point man. He certainly looked like a different guy this year and lost for sure.

If you have talent capable of being a top 5 defense today, it seems obvious that a complete overhaul to a scheme they are struggling with is not the best answer. Run something that caters to what you have and phase in packages of "your stuff" until you shift the skill sets on the roster.

You would call a guy an idiot for asking Peyton manning to run the read option... Or in this case expecting Vince Young (as a gifted athlete that's not a student of the game, feel free to sub in another name) to run mannings offense

Edited by NoSaint