Punt out of bounds every time tomorrow?

YoloinOhio

I would note that those have been his only significant returns of the year. Other than that he's really been shut down.

hmmm ok didn't know that. Just seems like the way the Eagles win is usually fueled by plays like that, vs controlling the game offensively or defensively or at the LOS.

I appreciate their healthy roster going into this game but feel as if the more you can eliminate things like ST TDs (and pick 6s) the less chance the Eagles have because they don't stand out in any one area.

Edited by YoloinOhio

hmmm ok didn't know that. Just seems like the way the Eagles win is usually fueled by plays like that, vs controlling the game offensively or defensively or at the LOS.

I appreciate their healthy roster going into this game but feel as if the more you can eliminate things like ST TDs (and pick 6s) the less chance the Eagles have because they don't stand out in any one area.

Only big plays lol ya 2 returns for a td which is a killer when you are suppose to have a great defense

I say punt the ball 35/40 yards and limit his returns as much as you can

We don't need to lose a game bc of special teams

I've often thought that the Bills should be directional punting in general. But I recently heard a radio interview with Pat McAfee, the Colts punter, about kicking out of bounds. His response was to the effect that there are incredibly gifted athletes coming after the punter and there's not enough time to angle the kick - he said you just have to get the kick off. Now, maybe he's a particularly poor directional kicker, but he's pretty open, so I would expect him to have just said that outright. So, what he said must have some truth to it.

Pat is on the Bob and Tom radio show every Tuesday. Bob and Tom is a nationwide program from Q95 in Indy, airing from 6 to 10 ET. Really funny stuff - it's on 105.9 in Syracuse and on the web/Tunein, iHeart radio etc.

I've often thought that the Bills should be directional punting in general. But I recently heard a radio interview with Pat McAfee, the Colts punter, about kicking out of bounds. His response was to the effect that there are incredibly gifted athletes coming after the punter and there's not enough time to angle the kick - he said you just have to get the kick off. Now, maybe he's a particularly poor directional kicker, but he's pretty open, so I would expect him to have just said that outright. So, what he said must have some truth to it.

Pat is on the Bob and Tom radio show every Tuesday. Bob and Tom is a nationwide program from Q95 in Indy, airing from 6 to 10 ET. Really funny stuff - it's on 105.9 in Syracuse and on the web/Tunein, iHeart radio etc.

i was going to ask if anyone knew whether it is possible for a punter to fully control that, so it's good info from mcafee and makes sense. He is considered one of the better punters in the league too so i would say it's pretty credible. Hopefully, the ST unit comes up with something to limit Sproles, whatever it is.

Yolo- if Schmidt has time I'm sure he will do that. It is amazing to me how many punts you see get off within less than a tenth of a second before the defender is diving for the ball. The good news is we have an excellent punter who kicks it nice and high so our ST is right on the guy as he catches it. that is why we have so many fair catches against us.

A real credit to our punter. As far as the concern over picks, outside of the Pats game, TT has one INT in 10 games and 6-4 record. I'm not worried about that either. They are 26th against the run so a nice dose of Shady will be great, and the new RB Gilleslie did a nice job in Williams absence last week. Better than Dixon.

Hahaha Bob and Tom. Those yucks.

I love McAfee. Dude had the highest ever winderlic.

Why does any team even punt the ball to where Sproles can return? Seems better to not even take the chance and just punt out of bounds. He had a TD on a punt return vs the Jets too, I think, in addition to the Pats.

And considering that our punt coverage is below average, that is not a bad idea.

When you've got Messer-Schmidt in the backfield, you fear no return man. There's no better kicker in WNY which is why Colton .45 is a front runner for the Moorman award this year which is granted to the best Bills punter. Schmidt on a shingle, piece of Schmidt, kicking the Schmidt, he's a man of many names but tomorrow is going to be a total Schmidt show, I guarantee it.

When you've got Messer-Schmidt in the backfield, you fear no return man. There's no better kicker in WNY which is why Colton .45 is a front runner for the Moorman award this year which is granted to the best Bills punter. Schmidt on a shingle, piece of Schmidt, kicking the Schmidt, he's a man of many names but tomorrow is going to be a total Schmidt show, I guarantee it.

Great post jo jo ronimo

there is one rule I've never understood and it may be on punts.

Why are some placed on the 40 yd line and why on others do you see a ref jog down the sideline to some random point and stomp his foot?

I get that he believes this may be the point where the ball goes out, but I just don;t see how he can accurately judge that from 15 to 20 yards away.

Edited by NOVABillsFan

Our ST sucks- Sproles is deadly, punt out of bounds.

Our ST hasn't actually been bad the past 3 games. The only big play was called back for an illegal block. I'm not saying that they're the best, but it's been a much improved unit