NFL finally holding refs accountable?

YoloinOhio

And there are only 7 referees on the field with 22 players running around, some at high speed. It's not an easy task.

the problem is they are 50-60 year old men who can't keep up with how fast the game is being played. they were fine for 3 yards and a cloud of dust but not now

NHL and Soccer Refs are in their 30s and 40s and can get in position to make the correct call more than likely.

full time younger refs with a simpler rule book is the way to go

the problem is they are 50-60 year old men who can't keep up with how fast the game is being played. they were fine for 3 yards and a cloud of dust but not now

NHL and Soccer Refs are in their 30s and 40s and can get in position to make the correct call more than likely.

Are you willing to take the lumps of a new, young crew for a few years?

pretty much sums it up

It's become an impossible job.

Yeah, it is. Imagine an entire nation looking over your shoulder (in hi def with super slow mo) while you work and calling you an idiot every time you made a mistake. I wouldnt want that job.

How is that being held accountable? Are they being docked pay? Suspended? No. Simply moved from one game to another so the entire country won't see their fvck ups...

Its ridiculous...they literally have cost teams games this year and will likely play a role in teams making or missing the playoffs and nothing of consequence is done. If I am the owners I would be throwing a sh!t fit in the offseason.

The refs have been horrible for many years now. It's not new. It has just reached epic levels.

I think at least part of the problem is that we KNOW what happened now, and with prior video tech we were mostly just guessing. The number of plays and calls that we're tough to call based on the video evidence was much much larger even just 10 years ago, now we can almost always tell for sure, and because of that we want a perfectly called game which will never really happen when humans are doing the officiating. while watching it live.

the rules and the NFL trending have made the Officials job impossible to be successful.

What IS holding?

Draw the line. call everything on everyone or call nothing. But please make the game a level playing field

Just do a booth review of every player on every play, assess the penalties cumulatively, then move on to the next play. If the league wants to give arcane, nitpicky rules primacy over the game and give everyone the experience of viewing the legal drama of rules interpretation, just take it to its logical extreme.

This only gets fixed when it starts impacting the league's bottom line - when more people say "!@#$ it, I want to watch football, not officiating. I'm not watching this bull **** any more" like I have. Until then, not only is the league doing nothing more than rearranging deck chairs, but the ship hasn't even hit the iceberg yet.

50-60 would be younger guys these guys are 67-68-69 as head officials and from what i've seen the "boys" on the crew top that. Not much can be done this year, I've been harping on this quite a while. Just think of this statement.....once I retire I'm gonna go ref in the NFL that's basically whats going on

Just do a booth review of every player on every play, assess the penalties cumulatively, then move on to the next play. If the league wants to give arcane, nitpicky rules primacy over the game and give everyone the experience of viewing the legal drama of rules interpretation, just take it to its logical extreme.

This only gets fixed when it starts impacting the league's bottom line - when more people say "!@#$ it, I want to watch football, not officiating. I'm not watching this bull **** any more" like I have. Until then, not only is the league doing nothing more than rearranging deck chairs, but the ship hasn't even hit the iceberg yet.

I honestly don't think it's fixable without nearly grinding to a halt. Worse yet as i think you are mentioning , I am not sure they are even trying.

Entertainment value. whether good or bad , is what the NFL is. And we all know that.

Yet you are watching.

For now. i am hoping that it will get corrected. If it stays this bad i think the NFL will see ratings dip.

I have never seen it as consistently bad as it is this year. Sure there have always been bad calls, but this year it is atrocious. The NFL needs to find some younger in shape guys. Enough with the 50+ old men who simply can not get in position to make a call. The only reason i can see the NFL using this old man policy is because they believe these men are beyond being bought off. There really is no other reason to use old guys. Anyone who played the game into college can have a very good grasp of the game. They can be trained on the finer points of officiating.

Get some ex college players to be officials. Guys who played the game and understand it and can see and get in position to make a call.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

The issue that came up on the morning drive this morning by Bob Papa i agree with is the advent of HD and increased cameras. Is officiating worse, or do we have so much technology, visibility, and slow motion, we see so much more than before. Is it even possible to improve? As to age, these guys are well experienced and the point is they are not as influenced by players.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. It does make sense we are seeing more than we missed 5 years ago. We have a lot more cameras on every angle than we have ever had before.

Two Ref's threads so I'll post this twice.

Too little too late Roger

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14276706/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-says-league-look-improve-rule-defining-catch-is

Roger Goodell: 'We want to find a better solution' for defining a catch

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Yeah..so accountable...Robey AGAIN is told by the NFL he shouldn't have been flagged for Pass Interference on a key play in the game...what makes it worse is it was the SAME crew that flagged him for that BS penalty against Jacksonville. Both led to key touchdowns in the game soon after.

Yeah...reeeealllll accountable. Hey, no problem, our refs keep fvcking up key plays in the game helping you lose, we admit they were wrong, but oh well. Nothing you can do now, we'll just give them a slap on the wrist.

I disagree with this. I don't think the problem is the refs are not in position. Most of the time I see bad calls there is a ref standing right there. Refs really don't have to run that much. They have 7 of them and they are strategically positioned around the field.

Soccer is different because they only have one on the field (at least in MLS) so he HAS to run around to see what's going on.

I don't think that's the case in football. They're in position, they just make bad calls.

The simpler rule book I agree with 100% though.