The good and bad of Chris Hogan

Kelly the Dog

First of all congrats on a pretty good game.

But his problems as a WR still rear their ugly head. He has GOT to pick up the first down when he has the first down. He blew it, which led to the bad call on third and inches. You just can't do it.

Another time he didn't fight for an extra yard and went out of bounds easily after a 9 yard catch.

One play that bothered me, however, and something he always does that is not good, is on the 31 yard catch he made. He is wide open. The ball is there. But instead of catching it on the run, he slows down, turns sideways and jumps to catch it above his head, and then comes down and is immediately tackled. Most WR and all good ones pick up the trajectory, keep running, catch it without jumping and then try to avoid the tackle. It's possible that he could have even cut to the middle of the field and broke the tackle of the hard closing DB if he had just caught it on the run.

I just watched it a dozen times. It's arguable that the pass was one yard short. But even if it was he still could have and would have caught it on the run with his hands without jumping and had a split second to put a move on the DB. He almost always stops and jumps to try to make a catch like that rather than just running and catching it and getting as many yards as he can. It's bothersome.

Again, he did have a good game. But his awareness is still a glaring problem.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all congrats on a pretty good game.

But his problems as a WR still rear their ugly head. He has GOT to pick up the first down when he has the first down. He blew it, which led to the bad call on third and inches. You just can't do it.

Another time he didn't fight for an extra yard and went out of bounds easily after a 9 yard catch.

One play that bothered me, however, and something he always does that is not good, is on the 31 yard catch he made. He is wide open. The ball is there. But instead of catching it on the run, he slows down, turns sideways and jumps to catch it above his head, and then comes down and is immediately tackled. Most WR and all good ones pick up the trajectory, keep running, catch it without jumping and then try to avoid the tackle. It's possible that he could have even cut to the middle of the field and broke the tackle of the hard closing DB if he had just caught it on the run.

I just watched it a dozen times. It's arguable that the pass was one yard short. But even if it was he still could have and would have caught it on the run with his hands without jumping and had a split second to put a move on the DB. He almost always stops and jumps to try to make a catch like that rather than just running and catching it and getting as many yards as he can. It's bothersome.

Again, he did have a good game. But his awareness is still a glaring problem.

My exact thoughts as the play happened. Better situational awareness was needed in that instance.

Hogan has improved over the years and is mostly reliable. He never gives the game away with one horrible play, but his small mistakes add up to take their toll. I like him on our roster, though, I think he'll keep working hard to get better.

With the attitude of many WRs coming out of college, his is a nice breath of fresh air. Keep him around - at least he puts in the work.

He's a depth guy forced to learn all the roles on the offense (Z,Y, Slot), and play special teams.

He's also pretty big - which is good for a running team.

Good post. He's a willing blocker. And good to have on your team. But as a #4 IMO.

It's not his fault at all, but it continues to disgust me that under the Hackett and Roman regimes he seems to get almost as many targets as Sammy. As far as I'm concerned that's the only bad with Hogan. I think Hogan could do really good things if we got the ball to our real playmakers more often. This would open up things for our number 2 and 3 receivers, instead of them being used more like number 1's.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The good:

A fine athlete, a hard worker and seemingly one of the good guys.

The bad:

His feel for this game is virtually non-existent. He might be the least instinctive receiver I have ever seen a ballfield.

If Corey Graham makes a tackle on 3rd down after Mario Williams chips the RB releasing into the flat, McKelvin doesn't fumble and Carpenter hits a field goal we win 16-13. Thanks in large part to Hogan's 5 grabs for 90 yards.

Where is the crusade against these 4 higher level players?

If Corey Graham makes a tackle on 3rd down after Mario Williams chips the RB releasing into the flat, McKelvin doesn't fumble and Carpenter hits a field goal we win 16-13. Thanks in large part to Hogan's 5 grabs for 90 yards.

Where is the crusade against these 4 higher level players?

One thread where I start out saying "First of all congrats on a pretty good game" and ended on "Again, he had a good game..." is a crusade? ;)

One thread where I start out saying "First of all congrats on a pretty good game" and ended on "Again, he had a good game..." is a crusade? ;)

Right but with that "Mario is awesome" thread going, I see how critiquing some of the finer points of hogans game is blistering harsh