I hate to admit it, but Taylor sucks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fans are so reactionary. This time last week everyone wanted to tie him up long term. This week he's hot garbage. Is it possible that he brings a lot to the table but also has some liabilities that may or may not prove to be a fatal flaw?

If the defense and running game continue to perform like they did in Monday we'll win a lot of games with a QB who can burn you deep, take off and run, and doesn't turn the ball over.

I see no reason not to bring in legit competition and continue to try to upgrade the position until he proves himself to be the long-term answer, but I don't want to bench him for the next Rob Johnson either. I say it's his job until someone takes it from him.

Fans are so reactionary. This time last week everyone wanted to tie him up long term. This week he's hot garbage. Is it possible that he brings a lot to the table but also has some liabilities that may or may not prove to be a fatal flaw?

If the defense and running game continue to perform like they did in Monday we'll win a lot of games with a QB who can burn you deep, take off and run, and doesn't turn the ball over.

I see no reason not to bring in legit competition and continue to try to upgrade the position until he proves himself to be the long-term answer, but I don't want to bench him for the next Rob Johnson either. I say it's his job until someone takes it from him.

This is excellent.

Please review the stats. Tyrod is NOT a passing QB. He is Win-less when he has to throw 30 or more times.

For the record - I have not said TT sucks. I am only trying to show that he has his limitations.

wilson and brady were limited in the their first couple years as well. It's how you develop a qb.

All fair. I think we have about 5 nuts on each side that are frothing for opportunities to annoint him or bury him and most are varying degrees of what you say (some thinking he takes the step, others not but generally agreeing with your take)

I hope you're right.

I fear the book is out on him. He can scramble and throw sideline deep balls and checkdowns. Put the MLB in QB Spy. Safeties both play the deep sideline. Corners press the underneath to the outside. Leave the middle of the field empty and vulnerable to deep posts and crossing routes, and trust the Tyrod can't make those throws.

We all learned about what its like to have a limited QB in Fitz, and as other teams learn his limitations the more the losses rolled in. The Bills need that power pocket passer who can make every throw from the pocket, and then will actually throw them during a game.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to hold all the following opinions at the same time:-

- Tyrod Taylor is the best Quarterback on our roster.

- EJ really isn't that close to him.

- It would have been reasonable to put EJ in when Tyrod had clearly damaged his throwing shoulder and we needed someone to heave it deep.

- Tyrod could be a QB that takes us to the play-offs

- He is a legitimate NFL starter - but where he slots in when compared to the rest of the league is hard to determine after so few starts.

- However, Tyrod's weakness remains the one thing that wins consistently in this league - the big boy intermediate throws from the pocket.

- For that reason it is unlikely that in Tyrod we have a guy who can make us a legitimate consistent championship contender.

- We must look to find that person

- The place we most likely do that is the Draft

That is basically my position. I am fine with Tyrod as the starter the rest of this year health permitting. I am fine with him as the starter for this team next season and think you would start with a play-off shot with him back there. But we need to continue searching for THE guy. Because sitting back and thinking "Tyrod is serviceable you can win 9 or 10 games with him all being equal" is not a reasonable position if we want to contend for Championships.

Mods, can we please ban GunnerBill? This is inappropriately objective and reasonable. Such comments have no place on TBD or on any fan forum in general. I believe the terms of service require QBs to be characterized as either total crap or as possible franchise saviors. B-)

Edited by The Frankish Reich

All fair. I think we have about 5 nuts on each side that are frothing for opportunities to annoint him or bury him and most are varying degrees of what you say (some thinking he takes the step, others not but generally agreeing with your take)

Never understood the black & white issue on this topic. Maybe it's because how the Bills have historically treated their QB prospects.

TT is on his game #8. Teams have ample film on him and next evaluation is whether he can take the next step. The next few games will give us a lot more answers.

That of course is totally irrelevant to Bills needing to draft a QB next year, which they have to do to at least replace EJ and possibly compete for the starting role.

While all well and good - other factors need to be reviewed

4 games - QBR over 88 (of 100) and 3 games* with a RAT over 120 (of 158.3)

4 games - QBR under 37.1 (of 100) and 2 games with a RAT under 83 (of 158.3)

* Tyrod's two BEST games 136.7 (21 of 29) and 146.5 (11 of 12) were against Miami, the third 123.8 (14 of 19) against Indy.

MNF - 20 of 36. The silly stat used prior - TT is 0-3 when passing 30 or more times.

His worst QBR was 16.6 against the Giants

hopefully I transferred the stats correctly.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14163/tyrod-taylor

I'm on my phone on vacation but I recall looking back over R. Wilsons first year in the league. If my memory is correct the more Seattle leaned on the run and less on Wilson the better the results. Roman is still trying to figure out when to pepper in the 18-25 pass attempts for TT.

Give it a little time guys. The best thing that can happen for this O is everyone comes back next year.

I'm on my phone on vacation but I recall looking back over R. Wilsons first year in the league. If my memory is correct the more Seattle leaned on the run and less on Wilson the better the results. Roman is still trying to figure out when to pepper in the 18-25 pass attempts for TT.

Give it a little time guys. The best thing that can happen for this O is everyone comes back next year.

I'm pointing out what I see and what I read. Yes, Seattle relied on the run and so did NE for year 1, maybe 2 with Tainted Tom.

I'm OK with Tyrod not being a top passing QB.

Also noted from ESPN .

ESPN power ranking Buffalo #14 v 2

If the Bills don't run effectively, they have a hard time winning. The Bills are 0-5 when attempting 30 or more passes in a game, and a 5-0 when attempting fewer than 30.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

You are correct. Taylor has looked a lot like Wilson did his first year. Fans are too impatient.

You are correct. Taylor has looked a lot like Wilson did his first year. Fans are too impatient.

What got me the other day was when I saw an excuse of All QB's have bad games and that was one of them.

Stinker to stinker EJ wins the worst of it, but TT is getting close to it.

Here comes the grenade !!

Would Ej score more than 13 vs the Patriots ? Titans ?

Burn it down

Based on the scores in the two games EJ played in, one with a very bad for 5 minutes, I would have to say yes.

21 points with an INT and 24 points with 2 INT's

INT's are bad, but if the end result is pushing it down field and scoring more points ...... I'd opt for the points.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I agree that more time is needed with TT. Obviously the Pats game plan told to him was to get Robert Woods involved out of the gate. Through the middle part of this game I felt like TT was going through his progressions more and looking guys off. The Clay completion stands out in this regard, and I consider it a small step forward despite some accuracy issues.

TT is playing safe, solid football. But his progressions and decision making are still too slow, hardly a surprise after 8 games. Plus the scouting book is out on defending him.

But I challenge anyone on here to prove to me it's because it's because he is incapable versus needing more time to really settle in so he can quicken his decision making and excel at the position.

He's all we got and I'm actually glad because only time will reveal what he can become so the impatient knee-jerkers are out of luck!

Based on the scores in the two games EJ played in, one with a very bad for 5 minutes, I would have to say yes.

21 points with an INT and 24 points with 2 INT's

INT's are bad, but if the end result is pushing it down field and scoring more points ...... I'd opt for the points.

Claiming EJ would score more points in games he didn't play in is like claiming Tyrod would have won the games he didn't play in. It's pointless conjecture.