I hate to admit it, but Taylor sucks

First, the defense definitely regressed and I think Ryan has had a terrible season coaching itBut the problem has been, IMO, that he hasn't played Rex Ryan defense. He got away from it. The only game we saw it for the whole game was the Pats game. Even the games we played well, like the Colts and Fins, etc, it wasn't the Rex Ryan scheme we have seen for six years out of him. It's his fault but it wasn't his scheme that let us down, it was him trying to let our guys play differently.

The HC has the authority to play any scheme he wants and use the personnel any way he wants. I'm simply saying the obvious: This defense has regressed under him. If it would have played near the level of the previous two DCs this team would be in a better situation.

Rex tried to trade for him while on the Jets. That's now a known fact. The reason he did was because Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and a couple other players on the Ravens that Rex loves and keeps in contact with told him over and over how good Taylor was. That's why Rex thought he was good, it wasn't from watching film, and that is why he wanted him. Taylor had to know that, and was told that when he was negotiating with the Bills. The Bills had already traded for a veteran and had a #1 pick still here. He came in large part because he knew the coach loved him (as well as a few other reasons).

Do you think that even if TT had a warm relationship with the loquacious HC he would have signed with the Bills if he didn't believe that he would have been given a fair opportunity to compete for a starting job? Was Rex a factor in signing here? Of course it was. And what made Buffalo an enticing place for TT was that it was evident to him that the qb situation was such that he had a reasonable chance to earn a starting job. Even if he knew Cassel was going to sign with the team he was aware that as a qb competing for the same position that it was less of a daunting task to win a starting position compared to other locations. He already knew, as did most everyone else, that there was a tremendous amount of skepticism from the organization over EJ as a starter.

If Rex Ryan was the primary reason for TT coming here then more power to him. It was a smart move and he deserves credit. But that doesn't alter the fact that this defense has regressed to the point that odds are that it has damaged our chances to participate in the post season when this team was in a good position to do so. Coaching matters!

I clearly recall hearing Rex insisted Whaley sign Taylor. Supposedly Whaley said he had the same idea, but who knows.

As I said to KTD if Rex was most responsible for signing TT then he deserves credit. What I also said to KTD is that under Rex our defense has regressed. What's obvious is obvious.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kids growing on me. He still has some issues to be sure, but developmentally, he's ahead of the curve. It was really nice he came up big in the clutch yesterday. I'm liking Roman more each week also. Only issue with either of them at this point is they seem to disappear for entire halves of games at times. But, what a turnaround from last year's offensive schemes.

First, the defense definitely regressed and I think Ryan has had a terrible season coaching itBut the problem has been, IMO, that he hasn't played Rex Ryan defense. He got away from it. The only game we saw it for the whole game was the Pats game. Even the games we played well, like the Colts and Fins, etc, it wasn't the Rex Ryan scheme we have seen for six years out of him. It's his fault but it wasn't his scheme that let us down, it was him trying to let our guys play differently.

The HC has the authority to play any scheme he wants and use the personnel any way he wants. I'm simply saying the obvious: This defense has regressed under him. If it would have played near the level of the previous two DCs this team would be in a better situation.

Rex tried to trade for him while on the Jets. That's now a known fact. The reason he did was because Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and a couple other players on the Ravens that Rex loves and keeps in contact with told him over and over how good Taylor was. That's why Rex thought he was good, it wasn't from watching film, and that is why he wanted him. Taylor had to know that, and was told that when he was negotiating with the Bills. The Bills had already traded for a veteran and had a #1 pick still here. He came in large part because he knew the coach loved him (as well as a few other reasons).

Do you think that even if TT had a warm relationship with the loquacious HC he would have signed with the Bills if he didn't believe that he would have been given a fair opportunity to compete for a starting job? Was Rex a factor in signing here? Of course it was. And what made Buffalo an enticing place for TT was that it was evident to him that the qb situation was such that he had a reasonable chance to earn a starting job. Even if he knew Cassel was going to sign with the team he was aware that as a qb competing for the same position that it was less of a daunting task to win a starting position compared to other locations. He already knew, as did most everyone else, that there was a tremendous amount of skepticism from the organization over EJ as a starter.

If Rex Ryan was the primary reason for TT coming here then more power to him. It was a smart move and he deserves credit. But that doesn't alter the fact that this defense has regressed to the point that odds are that it has damaged our chances to participate in the post season when this team was in a good position to do so. Coaching matters!

I clearly recall hearing Rex insisted Whaley sign Taylor. Supposedly Whaley said he had the same idea, but who knows.

As I said to KTD if Rex was most responsible for signing TT then he deserves credit. What I also said to KTD is that under Rex our defense has regressed. What's obvious is obvious.

What you said was, "f we had a HC who had a philosophy of showcasing the talent instead of showcasing his scheme this team would be locked in a playoff position."

Which is what I responded to. That's not what happened. He hasn't used his scheme, except once.

This kids growing on me. He still has some issues to be sure, but developmentally, he's ahead of the curve. It was really nice he came up big in the clutch yesterday. I'm liking Roman more each week also. Only issue with either of them at this point is they seem to disappear for entire halves of games at times. But, what a turnaround from last year's offensive schemes.

2012: 24 Pass TDs, 12 Rush TDs, 36 Total

2013: 16 Pass TDs, 15 Rush TDs, 31 Total

2014: 23 Pass TDs, 7 Rush TDs, 30 Total

2015: 20 Pass TDs, 13 Rush TDs, 33 Total through 12 Games! (On pace for 27 Pass, 17 Rush, 44 Total)

2012: 24 Pass TDs, 12 Rush TDs, 36 Total

2013: 16 Pass TDs, 15 Rush TDs, 31 Total

2014: 23 Pass TDs, 7 Rush TDs, 30 Total

2015: 20 Pass TDs, 13 Rush TDs, 33 Total through 12 Games! (On pace for 27 Pass, 17 Rush, 44 Total)

Yup - we moved the ball between the 20s the last few years but were terrible getting into the endzone. Much better at getting 7 this year.