How do you justify watching football?

I've been a Bills fan for 20 years, but I'm thinking of quitting football fandom all together after this season. Every time I see some awful-looking concussion or hit to the head....Corey Graham's eyes rolling back in Week 1 this year, AJ Green getting clobbered tonight, etc. etc. etc. etc.....or read an article like this one on Torell Troup and his pain and pill-popping to stay on the field http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/21/torell-troup-one-pick-ahead-of-gronk/, I think, "How can I justify giving money to this institution?" Even if I argue, "Well, these are pretty well-compensated adults doing it because they want to," the existence of big-time football helps maintain the existence of little kid football, where thousands of minors are getting brain injuries before they're mature enough to make their own decisions.

I love the game, tailgates, the Ralph crowd, all of it, but I just don't think I can do it any more. So real sincere question - how do you justify it?

It sounds like you have made the decision already.

All I can say is, when you reach the point where you need to justify everything you do, life has you confused.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point OP. The good news is the NFL is finally working on properly handling the concussion issue. Its safer to be a player now than its ever been before with the new protocols, qb protection rules, defenseless receiver rule, horse collar, spearing, hands to the face rules, the huge reduction in kickoff return injuries (except in our case when we decided to put our fragile burner out there for kickoffs and now Goodwin is lost for the season), even injury rehab and sports medicine in general is constantly improving.

Its still not perfect- but its getting better all the time. There are several prototype helmets being tested that reduce concussions (did Kelso's extra padded helmet not make sense? Why wasn't that made the standard back then?)

Football is too entertaining to not watch. I think its far better than any other sport.

Also remember there are teams of sleazy lawyers out there trying to get injury settlements for their ex NFL-player clients by exaggerating the extent of their injuries. And don't think other broke ex players didn't take note of what happened to Daryl Talleys bank account when he told his story to the Bills nation. Its become trendy to publicize your post athletic career injuries, which means it isn't all going to be the truth.

the existence of big-time football helps maintain the existence of little kid football, where thousands of minors are getting brain injuries before they're mature enough to make their own decisions.

I love the game, tailgates, the Ralph crowd, all of it, but I just don't think I can do it any more. So real sincere question - how do you justify it?

My daughter plays volleyball. Now volleyball is about as non-contact as a team sport can get - the opposing players must stay on opposite sides of the net, and teammates actively try to avoid colliding with or hitting each other. The players wind up contacting the floor a lot as they dive for the ball, but this sort of self-directed self-controlled contact is supposed to be a lower concussion risk.

Yet every year there are a couple girls who drop from the program because of multiple concussions.

Same with basketball, soccer, and don't get started on wrestling or boxing.

I think everyone should support youth sport safety programs like "safesports" and "headsup" football and parents should educate themselves and get their kid out of any programs that don't practice these, but if you're going to stop watching a sport because youth too young to make their own decisions get hurt, sometimes lifelong impact hurt, playing it, I'm not sure which sports are left that you could watch. Ping-pong maybe? Badminton?

It's the kid issue that is the tough one. I can't imagine letting a kid play football hear days. A million other safer sports where a kid can be tough.

The school district we live in actually suspended its football program this year due to insufficient participation

Edited by Hopeful

Interesting point OP. The good news is the NFL is finally working on properly handling the concussion issue. Its safer to be a player now than its ever been before with the new protocols, qb protection rules, defenseless receiver rule, horse collar, spearing, hands to the face rules, the huge reduction in kickoff return injuries (except in our case when we decided to put our fragile burner out there for kickoffs and now Goodwin is lost for the season), even injury rehab and sports medicine in general is constantly improving.

Its still not perfect- but its getting better all the time. There are several prototype helmets being tested that reduce concussions (did Kelso's extra padded helmet not make sense? Why wasn't that made the standard back then?)

Football is too entertaining to not watch. I think its far better than any other sport.

Also remember there are teams of sleazy lawyers out there trying to get injury settlements for their ex NFL-player clients by exaggerating the extent of their injuries. And don't think other broke ex players didn't take note of what happened to Daryl Talleys bank account when he told his story to the Bills nation. Its become trendy to publicize your post athletic career injuries, which means it isn't all going to be the truth.

They took a big step back with Case Keenum yesterday

My daughter plays volleyball. Now volleyball is about as non-contact as a team sport can get - the opposing players must stay on opposite sides of the net, and teammates actively try to avoid colliding with or hitting each other. The players wind up contacting the floor a lot as they dive for the ball, but this sort of self-directed self-controlled contact is supposed to be a lower concussion risk.

Yet every year there are a couple girls who drop from the program because of multiple concussions.

Same with basketball, soccer, and don't get started on wrestling or boxing.

I feel like wrestling, arguably the most violent high school sport, has a much lower rate of concissions than many non-contact sports. Edited by Tenhigh

I applaud the OP for the topic. At this point, I only watch the Bills with interest. I love the Bills.

I'll casually watch the other games but I'd say I'm more of a Bills fan than I am an NFL fan.

I think the NFL product has suffered from too many teams, too many rules. The game experience inside the stadium has deteriorated too - it is too expensive and not family-friendly.

When you ask people about what they think is the golden era of NFL football, you'd be surprised at how people answer with nearly any decade before free-agency and BIG NFL.

Funny you raise this issue because I get queasy when I see players appear to hurt their necks. Happened in yesterday's CHI/DEN game, but the guy was able to get up after a couple minutes. It starts feeling like watching gladiators, a blood sport.

That said, I could never stop watching the Bills. I'm too emotionally invested. Why else would I spend $125 for a ticket in the nosebleeds and $50 for parking just to watch them probably lose tonight?

I had never seen that Troupe article, it's sad, but it's the profession they chose, perfect reason they really need post football career counseling every step of the way....

I've been a Bills fan for 20 years, but I'm thinking of quitting football fandom all together after this season. Every time I see some awful-looking concussion or hit to the head....Corey Graham's eyes rolling back in Week 1 this year, AJ Green getting clobbered tonight, etc. etc. etc. etc.....or read an article like this one on Torell Troup and his pain and pill-popping to stay on the field http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/21/torell-troup-one-pick-ahead-of-gronk/, I think, "How can I justify giving money to this institution?" Even if I argue, "Well, these are pretty well-compensated adults doing it because they want to," the existence of big-time football helps maintain the existence of little kid football, where thousands of minors are getting brain injuries before they're mature enough to make their own decisions.

same thing yesterday during the eagles game, zach ertz landed on his neck after stupidly hurdling over a couple defenders, the recoil of his head and neck was pretty sickening to see. I won't stop watching though, i hope they can make the game safer for everyone.

Funny you raise this issue because I get queasy when I see players appear to hurt their necks. Happened in yesterday's CHI/DEN game, but the guy was able to get up after a couple minutes. It starts feeling like watching gladiators, a blood sport.

That said, I could never stop watching the Bills. I'm too emotionally invested. Why else would I spend $125 for a ticket in the nosebleeds and $50 for parking just to watch them probably lose tonight?

Let me just say I don't think this is an inappropriate question at all. I watch football, follow it semi-obsessively during the season, but kind of compartmentalize the idea that it is a violent game carrying a completely unacceptable risk of serious, debilitating injury to its players. And while the NFL seems unable to do anything that lowers the popularity of its product -- think about it, the handling of the domestic violence incidents, the absolute joke of the officials strike/replacement officials, etc., etc -- there is a long term trend that's troubling. High schools dropping football, the future player pipeline drying up, etc. I know the NFL now finally recognizes the problem, but I think the biggest problem is not something that can be changed by officiating. It's a problem of physics: bigger and bigger players running at high speed, making violent collisions inevitable. It hasn't happened in a long, long time, but it will happen again: a player death after a violent collision.

The same way I justify watching MMA or boxing. Hell the same way I justify playing basketball for 25+ years now. We all know the risks, consenting adults are playing because they love the money, or the game, and that's a stronger force than the risk. The injuries suck, and I wish more players would walk away before their lives are permanently impacted, but its tough.

I don't justify anything. Anyone playing now knows what they are risking, same with parents allowing kids to play. When I want to watch I do, when I do not then I don't. For example I turned on red zone channel yesterday at 1:00 but by 1:30 I was so thoroughly bored even with red zone, that I turned it off for good and didn't even watch last night. I have realized I am a Bills fan now, not a football fan any more.

Difference is, these people are unionized and paid. Not slaves or criminals.

Except that it's getting clearer every day that blows to the head are really bad for you and football is the only sport where they happen on almost every play and are part of the game.

It's the kid issue that is the tough one. I can't imagine letting a kid play football hear days. A million other safer sports where a kid can be tough.

Boxing, Ali, Spinks, Duk Koo Kim, etc want to know where you have been for the past 40 years.

Let me just say I don't think this is an inappropriate question at all. I watch football, follow it semi-obsessively during the season, but kind of compartmentalize the idea that it is a violent game carrying a completely unacceptable risk of serious, debilitating injury to its players. And while the NFL seems unable to do anything that lowers the popularity of its product -- think about it, the handling of the domestic violence incidents, the absolute joke of the officials strike/replacement officials, etc., etc -- there is a long term trend that's troubling. High schools dropping football, the future player pipeline drying up, etc. I know the NFL now finally recognizes the problem, but I think the biggest problem is not something that can be changed by officiating. It's a problem of physics: bigger and bigger players running at high speed, making violent collisions inevitable. It hasn't happened in a long, long time, but it will happen again: a player death after a violent collision.

more and better drug testing. The size and speed combo of some of the players appear unreal. That said, you can get a concussion as a 6 year old playing pop-warner. Personally, I would encourage people not to play contact football until at least middle school when you can understand and implement proper tackling techniques. Head to the side, wrap up. In the future I envision a technology inside the helmet that will determine when a player should be brought off the field to go through a concussion protocol.

Difference is, these people are unionized and paid. Not slaves or criminals.

also not being picked for their religious beliefs and fed to lions.

For me, my reasons for not wanting to waste time watching are a little different. The absolute inconsistency of officiating (especially in holding and pass interference calls), and just blown/missed calls, has become a joke. And then there's the "no loyalty" by 99% of the players...I mean no loyalty to the city & fans they play for. Many fans' lives revolve around the NFL season, but the players couldn't care less...offer'em more $$$ and they're gone in a heartbeat.

So yeah, over the past 10 years, I have definitely cut way back my time watching NFL games. Sure I'll try to watch all the Bills games, but I don't go out of my way to watch, especially if they stink...and that has been often over the last 10 years, LOL.

Yeah. I agree. Officiating is making this entertainment hard to watch. Just too inconsistent.

Imo