The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

Pretty startling article from an NYU professor on the limits of free speech.

This is just nuts.

What ‘Snowflakes’ Get Right About Free Speech

The recent student demonstrations at Auburn against Spencer’s visit — as well as protests on other campuses against Charles Murray, Milo Yiannopoulos and others — should be understood as an attempt to ensure the conditions of free speech for a greater group of people, rather than censorship. Liberal free-speech advocates rush to point out that the views of these individuals must be heard first to be rejected. But this is not the case. Universities invite speakers not chiefly to present otherwise unavailable discoveries, but to present to the public views they have presented elsewhere. When those views invalidate the humanity of some people, they restrict speech as a public good.

(snip)

The idea of freedom of speech does not mean a blanket permission to say anything anybody thinks. It means balancing the inherent value of a given view with the obligation to ensure that other members of a given community can participate in discourse as fully recognized members of that community. Free-speech protections — not only but especially in universities, which aim to educate students in how to belong to various communities — should not mean that someone’s humanity, or their right to participate in political speech as political agents, can be freely attacked, demeaned or questioned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/opinion/what-liberal-snowflakes-get-right-about-free-speech.html?_r=1

:wallbash:

The left is eating itself.

Speaking of Charles Murray, the author of The Bell Curve, he is on Sam Harris' podcast this week. It is very interesting:

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/forbidden-knowledge

Making blanket statements about demographics or race or intelligence doesn't lead to anything useful.

Some things are just not worth discussing, they cannot help one in their private or public existence.

Making blanket statements about demographics or race or intelligence doesn't lead to anything useful.

Some things are just not worth discussing, they cannot help one in their private or public existence.

That is what Sam Harris was asking Murray at one point. Harris avoided everything about Murray for 20 years, thinking he's just a racist, etc...............And, now he thinks the science is totally sound, etc.

But, he asked why even get into it if we can't do anything about it. Because it certainly hasn't helped Murray's existence, like you say...............And, Harris has his own controversies.

Climate Change = hate speech and should be banned.

Pro-Abortion = hate speech and should be banned.

Anti-Gun Rights = hate speech and should be banned.
Vagina Costumes = hate speech and should be banned.
Maybe the lefties have something we can all get behind. Just turn it on them.
Progressivism = hate speech and should be banned.

Climate Change = hate speech and should be banned.

Pro-Abortion = hate speech and should be banned.

Anti-Gun Rights = hate speech and should be banned.
Vagina Costumes = hate speech and should be banned.
Maybe the lefties have something we can all get behind. Just turn it on them.
Progressivism = hate speech and should be banned.

The problem is that most TV/News/radio people are progressives, so the have the means to promote what they consider hate speak.

That is what Sam Harris was asking Murray at one point. Harris avoided everything about Murray for 20 years, thinking he's just a racist, etc...............And, now he thinks the science is totally sound, etc.

But, he asked why even get into it if we can't do anything about it. Because it certainly hasn't helped Murray's existence, like you say...............And, Harris has his own controversies.

Even if you can scientifically find a perfect correlation it still might not be worth anything in reality.

Each time and purpose as useful....

The problem is that most TV/News/radio people are progressives, so the have the means to promote what they consider hate speak.

someone described it recently as some kind of fallacy whereby...

a dog in Russia and a dog in Mexico and a dog in Canada are basically the same animal with marginally differing traits overall

if you take that premise and then determine you are going to force the same on humans no matter where you meet them, then insist equality on all outcomes for testing and health and education and income, then you are heading into really choppy waters

Study: Describing Breastfeeding as ‘Natural’ Is Unethical Because It Reinforces Gender Roles.

It's true ! and it's transphobic too. What about women with penises and no breasts ?

I wouldn't be surprised one bit to learn that my most oft-repeated phrase in this thread is "that is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard", because once again that is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Nature makes us either male or female; two gender, one species. How on earth can it be unethical to label something that occurs in nature as being "unnatural".

And parents are shelling out thousands to send their children to places that teach this kind of crap?

And parents are shelling out thousands to send their children to places that teach this kind of crap?

Always have and always will.

So a friend who worked very hard in high school and got a scholarship shows up at an elite school and none of the other 5 in her group-projects want to lift a finger. They are from rich families and have said they know they'll be hired by the family business or use connections to get a great-paying cushy job after graduation.

They are from rich families and have said they know they'll be hired by the family business or use connections to get a great-paying cushy job after graduation.

If those families are rich because of the family business, then they won't remain rich for long with that attitude.

If those families are rich because of the family business, then they won't remain rich for long with that attitude.

old $$$ goes a long way in the next generation's life

there is almost no concern for continuity with the next generation

I wouldn't be surprised one bit to learn that my most oft-repeated phrase in this thread is "that is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard", because once again that is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Nature makes us either male or female; two gender, one species. How on earth can it be unethical to label something that occurs in nature as being "unnatural".

The most idiotic part of that, I think, is the word "Study."

Somebody had to "study" that bull ****? What?

The most idiotic part of that, I think, is the word "Study."

Somebody had to "study" that bull ****? What?

I give them credit though - I wouldn't mind receiving some grant money to study boobs.

I give them credit though - I wouldn't mind receiving some grant money to study boobs.

There's got to be a way.

My first instinct is to submit a proposal to NIH. But upon reflection, for our purposes, we'd probably stand a better chance going to the FCC...

There's got to be a way.

My first instinct is to submit a proposal to NIH. But upon reflection, for our purposes, we'd probably stand a better chance going to the FCC...

:lol:

The cultural impact of boobs relating to the natural v unnatural social dichotomy in perceived v actual gender roles and subsequent ramifications, as comparatively studied between the states of Maryland and Texas.

The FCC could easily play a role as far as the study's data transference is concerned, but we could also tap another one or two agencies to support the actual field work. Or more appropriately, "feeled work".

You know Ann Coultier is loving not being allowed to speak at Berkeley. Should boost her recognition meaning more money for tv appearances and future book deals.

The news makes these things out to be student protests, yet they draw a large crowd of people just to make trouble.

Seattle is charging the lady that shot someone at the Mill "protest" on campus where Milo was to appear. She went with her husband who brought pepper spray. They are in thier 30s and not students. Their stated intent was to mess with some snowflakes and if they give them trouble, break some skulls.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/couple-charged-with-assault-in-shooting-melee-during-uw-speech-by-milo-yiannopoulos/