The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

JON GABRIEL: Samantha Bee Called Young Man a Nazi. Then Apologized. Kinda.

Samantha Bee is not funny. She hosts a nightly TBS show named “Full Frontal,” which mimics the hard-left fake-news template of “The Daily Show.” The latter show still exists, hosted by the not-funny Trevor Noah, while the not-funny Seth Meyers and the once-funny Stephen Colbert mine the same depleted vein on their own late-night talk shows.

All of these programs are intended as Comedy, but are better described as
Urban Liberals Yelling At Americans Who Disagree With Them

Here’s how the formula works:

Play an out-of-context clip of a Republican.

Show the host staring into the camera, crinkling his/her nose, opening his/her eyes wide, or tapping his/her pencil.

Peals of digitally enhanced laughter from the live audience, as home viewers check Netflix.

You don’t tune into “Full Frontal” for jokes or satire, but common snark and mockery of The Other.
It’s Orwell’s Two Minutes Hate with a laugh track.

Ouch.

Read the whole thing.

Edited by B-Man

JON GABRIEL: Samantha Bee Called Young Man a Nazi. Then Apologized. Kinda.

Samantha Bee is not funny. She hosts a nightly TBS show named Full Frontal, which mimics the hard-left fake-news template of The Daily Show. The latter show still exists, hosted by the not-funny Trevor Noah, while the not-funny Seth Meyers and the once-funny Stephen Colbert mine the same depleted vein on their own late-night talk shows.

All of these programs are intended as Comedy, but are better described as Urban Liberals Yelling At Americans Who Disagree With Them.

Heres how the formula works:

Play an out-of-context clip of a Republican.

Show the host staring into the camera, crinkling his/her nose, opening his/her eyes wide, or tapping his/her pencil.

Peals of digitally enhanced laughter from the live audience, as home viewers check Netflix.

You dont tune into Full Frontal for jokes or satire, but common snark and mockery of The Other. Its Orwells Two Minutes Hate with a laugh track.

Ouch.

Read the whole thing.

All I got out of that was "TBS still exists??"

WATCH: College Students Support Freedom For Muslim Singers But Not Christian Photographers
by Ericka Anderson

Alliance Defending Freedom asked students at the University of Wisconsin if they thought a dress designer should have the freedom not to design a dress for Melania Trump. They said “absolutely.”

The students also thought a Muslim should have the right to turn down singing at a Christian church. But when they are asked if a Christian photographer should have the right not to photograph a same-sex wedding, their answers uncomfortably change.

The powerful point is clear as can be:

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner

Students Denounced As Racist For Wearing US Colors

Students from one Iowan high school recently apologized to the principal of another Iowan high school when people found their choice of red, white and blue attire offensive.

Supporters of the Des Moines North High School basketball team, many of whose players are from refugee families, were offended when fans of Valley High School’s basketball team wore red, white and blue last week, The College Fix reports.

“This is an example of BLATANT racism,” said Ty Leggett, a Valley High School alum, on the Valley High School – WDMCS Facebook page. “ALL participating should have been pulled and banned from ALL VHS extracurricular events for the remainder of the year! As a parent, I’d be mortified that my son or daughter thought this way, acted in this fashion and refrained from taking a stand against this 21st century inexcusable behavior!”

Erin Ness Carter, a mother living in the Iowan district, remarked that “for the supporters of one team from a primarily white part of town to paint themselves as the ‘team of the USA’ it strongly implies that the other team, the less white team, is less American.”

“This country is the United States of America and our country colors are red, white, and blue no matter what color of skin you have or what race you are,” said Mallorie Paige Sander, a current Valley High student. “The intentions to offend anyone by wearing USA themed clothing was no where in the thoughts of any of our student body, why would it be? We all live in America.”

The assistant coach of Valley’s opponent, Des Moines North, had different thoughts.

“Any normal person, any educated person can look at that and think what the hell are these kids thinking,” said Morgan Wheat, assistant coach of the Des Moines North basketball team, according to WHO-TV.com. “Kids are kids, I get it, but I do have questions. I want to know why.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/12/students-denounced-as-racist-for-wearing-us-flag-colors/#ixzz4bDOekIOv

Students Denounced As Racist For Wearing US Colors

Students from one Iowan high school recently apologized to the principal of another Iowan high school when people found their choice of red, white and blue attire offensive.

Supporters of the Des Moines North High School basketball team, many of whose players are from refugee families, were offended when fans of Valley High School’s basketball team wore red, white and blue last week, The College Fix reports.

“This is an example of BLATANT racism,” said Ty Leggett, a Valley High School alum, on the Valley High School – WDMCS Facebook page. “ALL participating should have been pulled and banned from ALL VHS extracurricular events for the remainder of the year! As a parent, I’d be mortified that my son or daughter thought this way, acted in this fashion and refrained from taking a stand against this 21st century inexcusable behavior!”

Erin Ness Carter, a mother living in the Iowan district, remarked that “for the supporters of one team from a primarily white part of town to paint themselves as the ‘team of the USA’ it strongly implies that the other team, the less white team, is less American.”

“This country is the United States of America and our country colors are red, white, and blue no matter what color of skin you have or what race you are,” said Mallorie Paige Sander, a current Valley High student. “The intentions to offend anyone by wearing USA themed clothing was no where in the thoughts of any of our student body, why would it be? We all live in America.”

The assistant coach of Valley’s opponent, Des Moines North, had different thoughts.

“Any normal person, any educated person can look at that and think what the hell are these kids thinking,” said Morgan Wheat, assistant coach of the Des Moines North basketball team, according to WHO-TV.com. “Kids are kids, I get it, but I do have questions. I want to know why.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/12/students-denounced-as-racist-for-wearing-us-flag-colors/#ixzz4bDOekIOv

So, refugees by their very definition are people who have been taken in by another country. I would think they would be the ones most likely to want to wear the red, white and blue for the very reason that their circumstances have been vastly improved, or their premature death avoided. If they are so offended by the colors of the flag of the country that took them in then maybe they need some additional vetting.

So, refugees by their very definition are people who have been taken in by another country. I would think they would be the ones most likely to want to wear the red, white and blue for the very reason that their circumstances have been vastly improved, or their premature death avoided. If they are so offended by the colors of the flag of the country that took them in then maybe they need some additional vetting.

While I think much of this PC garbage is ridiculous, they may have a point on this one. If it were baseball or tennis, maybe not. But this is basketball. Basketball has a long history of its fans taking personal pot shots at players to get under thier skin.

Who can forget fans chanting "PLO PLO PLO" at Steve Kerr 2 days after his father was killed by a terrorist (it was thought to have been done by the PLO). Or Vernon "Mad Max" Maxwell punching a fan after the fan had pestered him about his deceased daughter all night. The fan deserved it IMHO.

There are many other cases.

The schools colors are blue and orange. So fans were feeling especially patriotic that day as opposed to wearing thier teams' colors to the big playoff game?

Maybe they're just patriotic kids. If so, I hope they all enlist.

Edited by reddogblitz

While I think much of this PC garbage is ridiculous, they may have a point on this one. If it were baseball or tennis, maybe not. But this is basketball. Basketball has a long history of its fans taking personal pot shots at players to get under thier skin.

Who can forget fans chanting "PLO PLO PLO" at Steve Kerr 2 days after his father was killed by a terrorist (it was thought to have been done by the PLO). Or Vernon "Mad Max" Maxwell punching a fan after the fan had pestered him about his deceased daughter all night. The fan deserved it IMHO.

There are many other cases.

The schools colors are blue and orange. So fans were feeling especially patriotic that day as opposed to wearing thier teams' colors to the big playoff game?

Maybe they're just patriotic kids. If so, I hope they all enlist.

Part of that long history:

There is a reason why basketball players are known as "cagers."

"In the initial era of basketball as we know it, an out of bounds pass was awarded to the first person to possess it.

Well, it didn't take long for this rule to cause problems.

Players were fighting for balls off of the court...fans were getting involved...and it was more like today's pro wrestling than it was basketball..."

"In the initial era of basketball as we know it, an out of bounds pass was awarded to the first person to possess it.

Players were fighting for balls off of the court...fans were getting involved...and it was more like today's pro wrestling than it was basketball..."

Not only that, there was a cage around the court. (You should have clicked more :))

Not only that, there was a cage around the court. (You should have clicked more :))

Yeah.

Kind of amazing how the obnoxious culture stuck even after removing the possession rule and eliminating the cage between players and fans. I guess it is the closeness of the game.

Baseball was like it too early on in the game. Home fans would line the foul lines to intimidate the visiting team... Things got out of hand, threatening umpires, etc... I guess they had to clean up the game, make things more civilized.

That sounds a lot more interesting than modern basketball.

BRAIDS AREN’T FOR WHITE GIRLS:................. Student Allegedly Attacked Female Basketball Player Because Her Hairstyle Was ‘Cultural Appropriation.’

“Authorities charged a Hampshire College student with assaulting a member of Central Maine Community College’s basketball team over a dispute about cultural appropriation. Really.

The Hampshire student, 20-year-old Carmen Figueroa, allegedly started a fight because the basketball player had braided her hair in a manner that upset Figueroa. She walked up to the visiting player—during a basketball game—and demanded that the player remove the braids from her hair, according to masslive.com.”

She should be expelled. And then laughed at, for endorsing something as patently stupid as “cultural appropriation.”

The Gray Lady builds a new list of offensive racial terms

by Jazz Shaw

It seems as if everyone in the mainstream media world is taking a fresh look at their style guides this year… for some reason. (*cough*)

First we saw the Associated Press preparing to twist their pronouns in strange and unusual directions to avoid offending transgender activists. Now, we learn that the New York Times has grown unhappy with the old list of racially insensitive terms and may be adding a few more.

A group of New York Times journalists released a list of racial terms they find “bothersome” Sunday.

NYT’s Race/Related team
like”ethnic,” person of color” and “illegal immigrant” among those they found slightly offensive.

John Eligon, the paper’s national correspondent, found “ethnic”a troublesome term because it “normalizes” whiteness.

The letter reads more like something out of a debate class syllabus at a liberal arts college than a guide to modern English usage. Let’s start with the first item on the list. Are we to eliminate all uses of the word ethnic? How about food? That seems to be fairly well embedded in the foodie culture. Or perhaps we’re only to do away with it when the adjective is applied to people. The authors ask the question, “What makes a black person ethnic but a white person not?” I wasn’t aware that we were even using the word that way. Oh, my. She looks pretty ethnic, don’t you think? How that “normalizes whiteness” is a bit of a mystery. We bring up ethnicity when it applies to the Irish, Italians and a whole range of other ostensibly white folks. Before you attempt to solve a problem, perhaps you should define it for us a bit more completely first.

And when did “people of color” start getting a bad rap? One of the Times editors seems to feel that it’s “too close to colored people” but I seem to recall being told that this was actually the respectful term. (And as the leading black writer at Hot Air, at least according to my genetic testing kit results, I should know.) It took all of thirty seconds of Googling to find a raft of black and Hispanic authors at major news outlets using that term all the live long day. Might want to slow your roll on that one as well.

We’re also no longer supposed to use fractions when describing ethnicity either. They describe ‘half white,’ ‘half black,’ ‘a quarter Native American’ as being “convenient” in terms of math, but inaccurate. I’ll grant you that the odds of anyone’s DNA pool coming out at precisely 50% anything are pretty close to zero, but is that really offensive?

Be that as it may, we now live in the world of thought crimes. And that apparently includes word crimes as well. Of course, they’re not technically crimes… yet. But give us a few years of Elizabeth Warren in the White House (or the “Ethnic House” I suppose) and that condition may be changing. Just don’t bring up the Native American thing to her because that’s really, really offensive.

Edited by B-Man