The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

I've got to say that I don't totally disagree with the high school. If you let her wear her uniform, it opens it up to everybody wanting their own thing.

I agree. At a high school graduation you wear a cap and gown no matter who you are. I suspect at Marine Corp boot camp graduation she did not have the option to wear a cap and gown.

I get she's a hero and all, but rules are rules and there's a time and place for everything.

I've got to say that I don't totally disagree with the high school. If you let her wear her uniform, it opens it up to everybody wanting their own thing.

It wasn't even "wouldn't let her wear her uniform." It was "required her to wear a cap and gown over her uniform," which Marine Corps regulations allows...because you wear a cap and gown at graduation.

You'd think someone who went through Parris Island would understand the principle of "uniform requirements."

Agreed. I'd say that few... very few graduates wear just underwear or nothing at all under their cap and gown at graduation. To me, it just smacks of Look-At-Me entitlement attitude.

Most of these episodes, IMO, are "look at me" things. It just happens that this time it's a Marine. Doesn't change that it's look at me........Especially with the info Tom said.

The new Abolitionists

Abolish midterms and any grade below C:

http://theweek.com/speedreads/626361/oberlin-students-want-abolish-midterms-grades-below-c

"You know, we're paying for a service. We're paying for our attendance here. We need to be able to get what we need in a way that we can actually consume it,"

Just wait until they enter the workforce. It's going to be truly amusing. :lol:

Just wait until they enter the workforce. It's going to be truly amusing. :lol:

I was thinking today about some old 80s sitcom I used to watch called "Head of the Class." A class of gifted students...Johnny Fever was their teacher...a young Robin Givens before Mike Tyson beat her. It came to mind because somewhere in this day I heard the song "The Future's So Bright (I have to wear shades)," and ostensibly I remember an episode where the kids make something of a music video of the song.

When it comes to the 80s, people love to joke about the music or fashion, with good reason. But in 30 years, when people think about this time, college students are going to be the laughing stock of this era.

First you remove things, like titles such as Valedictorian. Then you remove other things, like failing grades. Then you remove more things, like the need to pay for this education. Next, you explain that no matter how stupid you are, you should at least be worth $15/hour. It won't be long before, after receiving free college, free health care, mandatory overtime, and paid vacations, it's easier to just let the federal government be in charge of everyone's retirement, and, why, before you know it, some will actually suggest that the only thing missing from the equation is the need to take Me-ternity leave...because, y'know, it's a hard-knock life, and sometimes you need extra "me: time but don't want to go through the whole, messy "have a baby" thing for that extra time.

It's the unicorn gatorman and birdog dream about every night. So close they can smell it.

Edited by LABillzFan

I was thinking today about some old 80s sitcom I used to watch called "Head of the Class." A class of gifted students...Johnny Fever was their teacher...a young Robin Givens before Mike Tyson beat her. It came to mind because somewhere in this day I heard the song "The Future's So Bright (I have to wear shades)," and ostensibly I remember an episode where the kids make something of a music video of the song.

When it comes to the 80s, people love to joke about the music or fashion, with good reason. But in 30 years, when people think about this time, college students are going to be the laughing stock of this era.

First you remove things, like titles such as Valedictorian. Then you remove other things, like failing grades. Then you remove more things, like the need to pay for this education. Next, you explain that no matter how stupid you are, you should at least be worth $15/hour. It won't be long before, after receiving free college, free health care, mandatory overtime, and paid vacations, it's easier to just let the federal government be in charge of everyone's retirement, and, why, before you know it, some will actually suggest that the only thing missing from the equation is the need to take Me-ternity leave...because, y'know, it's a hard-knock life, and sometimes you need extra "me: time but don't want to go through the whole, messy "have a baby" thing for that extra time.

It's the unicorn gatorman and birdog dream about every night. So close they can smell it.

This isn't intended for you, as I'm aware you understand perfectly - nothing in what you describe will actually remove any difficulties from peoples' lives.

First you remove things, like titles such as Valedictorian.

Of course we have to get rid of the term Valedictorian. Just look at that middle syllable. Inherently Sexist© symbol of phallic dominance.

Then you remove other things, like failing grades.

In the world of Special Snowflakes, a C is a failing grade. A C is average and calling somebody average and not special is a Euro-centric form of tyranny

you racist scum. go wave you rebel flag and support trump. bigot! bigot!!!!! BIGOTTTTT!!!

Free speech discriminates against people with speech impediments and those who don't speak English.

Also contains the gem "Free speech is discriminatory because no one listens to me!"

Harvard Students turn on their Dean. Ivy league educators lose control of their beast.

Impossible to express how embarrassed I'd be if my child were part of this chorus.

It scares me that they someday might be required to actually work for a living.

They're not going to be able to handle it - that's why I keep saying that it's going to be so amusing when they get out into the real world. Imagine if you can, one of these snowflakes surviving intact long enough to actually get a supervisory position somewhere - having to deal with real conflict resolution, facing EEOC complaints because of their penchant for crying "white privilege", or just the shock of not being coddled by spineless professors and administrators?

It should provide for some extremely amusing meltdowns. :lol:

They're not going to be able to handle it - that's why I keep saying that it's going to be so amusing when they get out into the real world. Imagine if you can, one of these snowflakes surviving intact long enough to actually get a supervisory position somewhere - having to deal with real conflict resolution, facing EEOC complaints because of their penchant for crying "white privilege", or just the shock of not being coddled by spineless professors and administrators?

It should provide for some extremely amusing meltdowns. :lol:

There aren't many jobs out there for graduates boasting degrees in Womens or Ethnic Studies, listing radical social activist groups on their resumes, and arrests for civil disobedience on their background checks.

These !@#$s will by and large find themselves working at Target, Best Buy, and the like.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Frankly, I can't wait for this schitshow to get started.

Think about it...an entire workforce made up of gatormans/...lybobs and birdogs, losing their collective minds when they realize they're too pussified for a real job and unable to land a job at Wendys because the robots beat the $15/hr min wage argument.

There has to be money hosting a website where people post videos of these nutbags losing their schit when reality hits them.

There aren't many jobs out there for graduates boasting degrees in Womens or Ethnic Studies, listing radical social activist groups on their resumes, and arrests for civil disobedience on their background checks.

These !@#$s will by and large find themselves working at Target, Best Buy, and the like.

You're probably right about that, but I'm sure they'll find a way to be outraged one way or another. Some people just aren't happy until they have something to be angry about.

Edited by Azalin

No, they won't. Retailers want people who work, not people who feel they're being exploited by holding a job below their station. Conversely, people like this would never apply for a retail job, because they're "better" than that.

These are the people that will, after graduation, protest their student loans as being unfair, because they can't get a job in their field (side note: you're a college grad. You have no field.) Then will protest their college because they're unemployed and their school didn't prepare them properly for the job market. Then they'll protest the retailers who would hire them if they wanted to work, for exploiting the people they do hire who want to work.

The bottom line is that they've been taught that work = exploitation, so they won't do any.