Unconventional, New Strategy Needed to Stop the Patriots?

jethro_tull

The only way to beat the Pats is to out-execute them. Good luck.

You mean execute more of them then they do us?

Worth a shot.

guillotine perhaps?

edit then or than? i never gets these right

Edited by 3rdand12

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like the rush 9 idea. May need to be dropped down to 7. But do what you can to get a free rusher on Tommy.

However, we can't do tjat because he gets it out too fast or so I've heard.

So, let's do the opposite. Rush none. Put a couple of guys on the line that would primarily be spies in case they try to run. Cover the WRs very tight man to man with safety help.

As long as you game plan for it you play with 4 downs from your own 40 & out. Then you play call based on that thought. Risky? Sure, but, less risky than fake punts.

I think this has to be part of the plan. They move the ball so effortlessly that gaining 35 yards of field position is worth very little. You have to score TDs and keep the ball out of their hands. A team that punts or kicks FGs on 4th and short against them might as well pack its bags and go home. I will say that in order to successfully implement this strategy, you'd better have a competent QB yourself or the game will get out of hand very quickly.

And an onside kick or two wouldn't hurt either. The success rate is actually pretty high in non-obvious situations.

In January of 1991, we had one of the most explosive offenses the league had ever seen at that time.

Bill B. and Bill Parcels schemed a way to completely shut it down, often using only 2 down linemen on the D line. They flooded the field with people in pass coverage and it confused the hell out of Jim Kelly.

We should have countered by pounding the ball and making the Giants adapt back to a more traditional D, but Marv Levy was never on the level of the two Bills in NY.

There is probably some defensive scheme that can slow down or stop the Patriots.

The question is whether or not Rex and staff can come up with it.

This is a key insight. Along the lines of 'all battles are won or lost before they begin". Preparation is the key to victory. So a logicial defense might be to "show" Brady something that isn't what it appears to be, essentially utilizing deception and disguise. You need to confuse his pre-snap reads like if the WR goes in motion and nobody follows him you might read zone coverage and moments before the snap the defense needs to adjust to a man-to-man press scheme for example. This goes for the offense too. After you watch a team play every game you see tendencies and I seem to know what the Bills are going to do on most plays. If I can figure it out then certainly the professionals are way ahead of me. Bottom line, be unpredicable because predicability leads to negative outcomes.

The Giants had success in 2 SB's by deploying their DE's inside over the Guards to put pressure on the interior of the offensive line that was not geared to defend speed but rather the size and strength of the typical DT. When they brought in the heavy offensive package the defense shifted to the standard set. And certainly playing 10 yards off their receivers is unacceptable. You need to play press coverage and physical every single down.

The other unconventional thing I would employ is hiring a security firm to make sure nobody was stealing my signals, or playbooks, bugging my communications or locker room. Maybe its paranoia but why take a chance? The Patriots seem to know what you're going to do on offense and defense almost every single play. Is their coaching that good or is there more to it? I say, eliminate the "more to it" possiblity. I might even go as far as having three different coaches signal in the play to the team and if they are stealing my signals let them try and figure out which one is real and which two are fake on every down. Create confusion and uncertainty.

The other problem is New England provides a unique challenge with their personnel. And if you play a team once or twice a year and maybe not at all, are you going to set up you team to beat that one opponent as opposed to setting your lineup and team for the other 14+ games?

I like the security idea. What say we all chip in to bribe the new Pats*** equipment guy to get us the frequency for Brady's secret helmet broadcast. Then blast the Shout song as soon as the line gets set.

Since we are emphasizing unconventional my strategy would be to keep Brady off the field. He's no turnover machine so I'd propose getting possessions in special team initiatives such as onsides kicks at varying points in the game (perhaps on opening kickoff) and time killing run drives (like the opening drive last time when we first we played them...only use up time more efficiently) . This would include running on fourth and short every time we are over the 50.

On defense the old four down linemen and regular blitzing would be the way to give Brady the least amount of time possible with the understanding that he gets those throws off most of the time. The theory is that the passes are a little rushed and we might better defend them and maybe get a pick or two.

The Patriots SURE are not going to be defeated by standard play. We have to give the running backs the ball and use the fullback as a pass blocker to shore up our weak spot on o-line.

The balls to the wall style will be ridiculed, but it may be effective. We win the time of possession game we have the best chance of winning the game altogether. The less we see of Brady the happier we are all going to be.

At this point the Patriots and their scoring point source Tom Brady are literally unstoppable in the conventional football sense. The usual football defensive gameplan is not working. It seems as if teams need to start taking risks or go beyond conventional defensive wisdom. Especially near the red zone, where if teams don't do something differently he / they are going to score anyway.

Should teams (the Bills) concede that they are going to score and take some unconventional risks to try and stop them?

Example- rush 9 and cover 2, one guy covering Gronkowski and one guy covering Edeleman? Something different?

I LOL'd so hard at this a little urine came out.

Clearly you didn't think this through all the way.

Rush 53. From all directions. Once should do it. Hey, it says unconventional! Other than this, I think people have tried all the stuff they could think of, and it hasn't worked too well so far.

Augie- i like the way you think.

I'll one up you, how about an 73,000 man rush from the stands. That will get em.

I know this has been mentioned, but I wouldn't use the helmet mic/speaker at all. You know it's tainted AND will probably give out at key times. Instead devise a signaling system or do what Tom Landry used to do. Alternate guys in with play. No way Bill's gonna hack that.

At 1/2 time, don't go in the locker room where the bugs are. Huddle up around the 50 like they do in PeeWee football. That way we can keep our 2nd half game plan under out hats.