How Doug Marrone became "The Man who Left Buffalo"

YoloinOhio

Here you guys go:

How did I ever miss this? It's classic.

I want to believe it's real too, but the "urgency" that pipes in sounds like a bad edit, not like someone who was in the audience.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did I ever miss this? It's classic.

I want to believe it's real too, but the "urgency" that pipes in sounds like a bad edit, not like someone who was in the audience.

That's probably because the A/V department is terrible at OBD and instead of mic'ing the crowd, they just bump the questions. It was taken directly from the team's press conference (@ the 10 min mark): http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Doug-Marrone-Monday-Press-Conference/8144bcd7-fa5c-4080-9cba-c6805afdc18e

That's probably because the A/V department is terrible at OBD and instead of mic'ing the crowd, they just bump the questions. It was taken directly from the team's press conference (@ the 10 min mark): http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Doug-Marrone-Monday-Press-Conference/8144bcd7-fa5c-4080-9cba-c6805afdc18e

I can't get your link to load. No vid in the box when I go to the link.

Edit: NM, I got it to work in Safari, wouldn't work in chrome.

Edited by MDH

I don't know what's worse, the vitriol spewed at a guy for looking out for himself and hating him because everybody else hated him or turning around and acting like you miss him all of a sudden because your team lost a few games.

I get it, but I just don't understand how a person's conscience is OK with this.

If I was Marrone, I'd tell the Bills fanbase to go f*ck themselves.

I don't know what's worse, the vitriol spewed at a guy for looking out for himself and hating him because everybody else hated him or turning around and acting like you miss him all of a sudden because your team lost a few games.

I get it, but I just don't understand how a person's conscience is OK with this.

If I was Marrone, I'd tell the Bills fanbase to go f*ck themselves.

He did...

Ironic that Brandon was pretty miffed about Marrone's departure. After all, Mr. Smithers hired him and then tried to act as mediator between his hand-picked HC and the GM he promoted after Nix retired.

Russ Brandon owned that situation more than people realize. To think a business/marketing guy was making GMs and hiring HCs. No wonder everything was broken at the end of 2014 when TPegs and KPegs became team owners.

Marrone was thin skinned and not suited to being a NFL HC with his demeanor. But he knew they needed a QB and Whaley insisted on Manuel. Jason Cole later reported that people at OBD told Marrone at the end of 2013 that Manuel was never going to get it. https://twitter.com/jasoncolebr/status/503281788920553472

He did...

And we did. I agree with the f**** this guy crowd. That coy bull **** of " ten years from now I will say what really happened". Be a friggen man and get away from this passive aggressive bull **** and say I left cause of x, or I just come out and say nothing happened with the org, just felt it was best for both parties I leave.

You don't get it both ways. Why people hated this guy

Edited by plenzmd1

Interesting - the author says they chatted for hours and there's what, 3 Marrone quotes (and only one starts with "Obviously", so I'm not even sure I believe the other two :D) and not really a ton of new info.

He didn't know how to use all the forks at his first big dinner.

Other people in the NFL don't think he's a bad guy.

Guess we'll find out in 15 years why he left Buffalo...

And we did. I agree with the f**** this guy crowd. That coy bull **** of " ten years from now I will say what really happened". Be a friggen man and get away from this passive aggressive bull **** and say I left cause of x, or I just come out and say nothing happened with the org, just felt it was best for both parties I leave.

You don't get it both ways. Why people hated this guy

He probably doesn't want to actively disparage anyone currently working in the NFL.

He was pursued for a story. He gave them more than a stock answer, and less than the full truth. It's not hard.

Interesting - the author says they chatted for hours and there's what, 3 Marrone quotes (and only one starts with "Obviously", so I'm not even sure I believe the other two :D) and not really a ton of new info.

And his wife thinks he is a social idiot as well

I also thought the article was a bunch of nothing. Also really reaching to paint him as Saint Doug because he visited a player with cancer? Really? Who wouldn't do that?

Oh and better believe I'll be holding my breath for when he reveals what REALLY happened in 14 years. Such intrigue! Give me a break. Stay anonymous and in the background with your happy life - but don't for a second think I feel bad for you.

I'm 52 and people think people that age should be old school. My take is Marrone is another old school coach trying to coach like it's the old days. Guys like him are no fun to play for unless you are winning championships. Problem is those kinds of guys are finding it harder and harder to be succesful in this new era. The best coaches are the ones who adapt to the changing times. Bottom line is the players can't be dictated to the way they could at one time.

The one thing that struck me is that it appears that the fan venom got to him. He's not the first -- Mularkey left too (and Mularkey is the only other guy who got to 9-7 in this millennium) and cited similar reasons. I think that comes with a passionate fan base that is more ornery and cruel than (non)fan bases in, say, Jax or Atlanta, where no one really cares.

The one thing that struck me is that it appears that the fan venom got to him. He's not the first -- Mularkey left too (and Mularkey is the only other guy who got to 9-7 in this millennium) and cited similar reasons. I think that comes with a passionate fan base that is more ornery and cruel than (non)fan bases in, say, Jax or Atlanta, where no one really cares.

I agree. Its almost like a college town like Tuscaloosa or Gainesville where its the only game in town. The Bills are pretty much the only game in town for most people.

I think Marrone made a number of key mistakes -- hiring Hackett as his OC, for example -- but he had instilled a sense of discipline that Rex is slowly but surely destroying. A classic example is Jerry Hughes, who found his way onto Marrone's doghouse on more than one occasion. Yet, Marrone managed to get Pro Bowl-level play from Hughes to the point where Hughes cashed in handsomely in the off-season. So far this year Hughes has been MIA for Rex.

Marrone's people skills were also lacking. He had trouble getting along with the front office. I suspect more than anything else it was his clashes with Whaley that ultimately did him in. The two didn't see eye-to-eye on the QB situation. And it is a good bet that Whaley is the one who leaked all the "St. Doug" stuff to the press. Working in a toxic environment like that, it may be hard to fault him for cashing in on the golden parachute. Trouble is, he was arrogant believing that the Jets job was his for the taking -- and couldn't keep his mouth shut when he left.

Ironic that Whaley himself may be on the hot seat now, largely because of the QB mess.

I guess we see why Marrone was a total control freak and disciplinarian

I was happy when Rex was hired but I thought we were getting the loud, brash, cocky monster Rex who was a defensive mastermind.

Somehow we got a timid, meek Rex who just wants to "tip his cap" and "things like that" and suddenly sucks at coaching defense.

we are full on weenies when things dont go our way. and sometimes when they do!? Even I can barely tolerate us! And I am one of the Us. :nana: