How Doug Marrone became "The Man who Left Buffalo"

YoloinOhio

Marrone was a great coach who dug us out of our injury plague and began to change the Bills loser culture.

Looks like we fell fright back into our hole.

I was excited we hired Rex, but if we don't make the playoffs this year, I'm afraid we just went back to 2010.

It will be another long rebuild.

But, look on the bright side, we have plenty of time as the Bills will be here forever.

Imo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Marrone made a number of key mistakes -- hiring Hackett as his OC, for example -- but he had instilled a sense of discipline that Rex is slowly but surely destroying. A classic example is Jerry Hughes, who found his way onto Marrone's doghouse on more than one occasion. Yet, Marrone managed to get Pro Bowl-level play from Hughes to the point where Hughes cashed in handsomely in the off-season. So far this year Hughes has been MIA for Rex.

Marrone's people skills were also lacking. He had trouble getting along with the front office. I suspect more than anything else it was his clashes with Whaley that ultimately did him in. The two didn't see eye-to-eye on the QB situation. And it is a good bet that Whaley is the one who leaked all the "St. Doug" stuff to the press. Working in a toxic environment like that, it may be hard to fault him for cashing in on the golden parachute. Trouble is, he was arrogant believing that the Jets job was his for the taking -- and couldn't keep his mouth shut when he left.

Ironic that Whaley himself may be on the hot seat now, largely because of the QB mess.

maybe rex needs to be a bit more of hardass when players do not execute the play call. Call them out. like the pushups. Marrone was extreme,sitting a guy even though he was the better player.

Seems Rex might be the other extreme and expect everyone to act like adults and do not need discipline. just a guess. The Hughes example is a fair take..

But neither Coaches have gotten the most out of the players. Neither marrone nor Ryan.

but the New regime only has 7 games under their belt together. and working with two risky QBs who can both shine and suck in the same quarter of football of a game, Or reelly suck one quarter and the look reelly good when its crunch time and under the screws. interesting dynamics at work in an evolving relationship within in management Coaches and Players within Our Bills.

Marrone was a great coach who dug us out of our injury plague and began to change the Bills loser culture.

I was excited we hired Rex, but if we don't make the playoffs this year, I'm afraid we just went back to 2010.

But, look on the bright side, we have plenty of time as the Bills will be here forever.

Imo

unfortunately, others like myself will not. Be here forever.

Why i do not vote to tear it down this year as some have been quick to the draw.

TBH, I always was a Marrone guy, at least by how he ran his ship, not so much schematically.

You loved defending Hackett

Imo

Doug prevented injuries? Must be one of those Saint things

Agree with Polian:

'"He's obviously not Rex Ryan," said former NFL exec Bill Polian, an ESPN analyst who considered taking a front-office job with the Bills this past winter before Marrone left and who believes firmly that the bad publicity doomed Marrone's chances. "But he's not Lex Luthor, either, and that's how he was depicted."'

Lex Luthor is a Super Genius with ability to get people to do what he wants; complete opposite of Doug Marrone.

Edited by Koolaid

TBH, I always was a Marrone guy, at least by how he ran his ship, not so much schematically.

Agree with that 100%. I thought he was a good leader and his team was always ready to play and well prepared. He picked good coordinators defensively... his problem was the offensive scheme where either he hired he wrong guy, or he couldn't help himself from meddling, and probably it was a bit of both.

I think Marrone made a number of key mistakes -- hiring Hackett as his OC, for example -- but he had instilled a sense of discipline that Rex is slowly but surely destroying. A classic example is Jerry Hughes, who found his way onto Marrone's doghouse on more than one occasion. Yet, Marrone managed to get Pro Bowl-level play from Hughes to the point where Hughes cashed in handsomely in the off-season. So far this year Hughes has been MIA for Rex.

Marrone's people skills were also lacking. He had trouble getting along with the front office. I suspect more than anything else it was his clashes with Whaley that ultimately did him in. The two didn't see eye-to-eye on the QB situation. And it is a good bet that Whaley is the one who leaked all the "St. Doug" stuff to the press. Working in a toxic environment like that, it may be hard to fault him for cashing in on the golden parachute. Trouble is, he was arrogant believing that the Jets job was his for the taking -- and couldn't keep his mouth shut when he left.

Ironic that Whaley himself may be on the hot seat now, largely because of the QB mess.

If it is the case that he left because Orton retired and Whaley's plan was EJ I can't really blame him.

I came after him with a pitchfork when he quit, but maybe I was wrong to do so. The more I learn about Whaley the more I understand Marrone's departure. Assuming, of course, that's why he left.

Agree with that 100%. I thought he was a good leader and his team was always ready to play and well prepared. He picked good coordinators defensively... his problem was the offensive scheme where either he hired he wrong guy, or he couldn't help himself from meddling, and probably it was a bit of both.

And just so people don't think I am being wise after the event - go check that "if you had to pick a coach and a QB from the drought years who would it be?" thread. I picked Marrone.

I actually didn't have as much distain for Marrone as many of you here. However, after reading that bit something about it made me dislike like him a little more. He comes across as a complete phoney. He should admit that he thought he was going to get another head coaching job this past offseason. He also acts like the Jags Oline coach position is yet another "dream job" once again. The thing that irritates me the most as others here have mentioned is his refusal to say why he left. It makes me doubt that he really had good reasons. I'm the first to question how this organization is run, but why doesn't he just say what happened? It makes me feel like he simply wanted to collect his check, and get the Jets job. Seems like he's full of crap to me.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Marrone took $4 million for free, and for all of the wrong reasons. Marrone can go !@#$ HIMself.......

Job security for his family is a wrong reason?

I actually didn't have as much distain for Marrone as many of you here. However, after reading that bit something about it made me dislike like him a little more. He comes across as a complete phoney. He should admit that he thought he was going to get another head coaching job this past offseason. He also acts like the Jags Oline coach position is yet another "dream job" once again. The thing that irritates me the most as others here have mentioned is his refusal to say why he left. It makes me doubt that he really had good reasons. I'm the first to question how this organization is run, but why doesn't he just say what happened? It makes me feel like he simply wanted to collect his check, and get the Jets job. Seems like he's full of crap to me.

I think we read different articles.

Really good article.

I find myself missing Marrone a little bit.

It wasn't Marrone that I wanted gone from Buffalo rather it was his choice for the offensive coordinator position, and since one went with the other I'm glad they are both gone.

It was that St Doug gave free reign to his coordinators while helping his good friend Danny Crossman with special teams. Jim Schwartz thrived on his own, and Hackett drowned.

One other thing, his offensive line stunk with the players he was given to the tune of the worst ranked line for most of 2014 and yet they still didn't have nearly as many penalties each game. This is the third year with a bad offensive line, and young QB's trying to develop and compete. Rex Ryan wanted Richie Incognito so the left side improved, and that right side still is not nearly as good as it should be. That line was last in the league last year in run blocking and are still 30th in run blocking this year, and 28th in pass blocking, 20th in sacks.

Frankly, I miss Jim Schwartz more then anyone else from last years coaching staff.

It wasn't Marrone that I wanted gone from Buffalo rather it was his choice for the offensive coordinator position, and since one went with the other I'm glad they are both gone.

It was that St Doug gave free reign to his coordinators while helping his good friend Danny Crossman with special teams. Jim Schwartz thrived on his own, and Hackett drowned.

One other thing, his offensive line stunk with the players he was given to the tune of the worst ranked line for most of 2014 and yet they still didn't have nearly as many penalties each game. This is the third year with a bad offensive line, and young QB's trying to develop and compete. Rex Ryan wanted Richie Incognito so the left side improved, and that right side still is not nearly as good as it should be. That line was last in the league last year in run blocking and are still 30th in run blocking this year, and 28th in pass blocking, 20th in sacks.

Frankly, I miss Jim Schwartz more then anyone else from last years coaching staff.

We do not have a bad O-line this year.

It's probably smart not to say why he quit. He most likely quit because he didn't like the FO and how it was being run, along with the belief that he was in demand. Publicly stating those things would damage his already compromised employability.

i still believe it was a power struggle to get control of personnel like his BFF Bill O'Brien has in Houston. It didn't work, so he bolted, assuming he'd have a decent shot at one of the HC openings. I agree that admitting that now would be a bad look for future HC opportunities considering most organizations would not give that power to a HC, especially one with his short track record. If a team with a 2016 opening senses it is something he is going to scratch and claw for but they want control of the 53 to remain with the GM for continuity of structure, they would likely shy away. Edited by YoloinOhio

If it is the case that he left because Orton retired and Whaley's plan was EJ I can't really blame him.

I came after him with a pitchfork when he quit, but maybe I was wrong to do so. The more I learn about Whaley the more I understand Marrone's departure. Assuming, of course, that's why he left.

I tend to believe this also.