At What Point is Watkins Officially "Injury Prone"

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do players, such as Sammy and Goodwin, get to the NFL? How did they survive college? Is it really just terrible luck or are they simply unfit to withstand the rigors of the NFL? It is so frustrating for us fans. I cannot image how it must feel to the Pegulas who are spending out so much money on these guys or the coaches who have their livelihoods on the line.

Edited by scribo

assist to EJ with that inaccurate pass to a wide open Sammy who was forced to slam on the brakes and reach back across his body to make the catch.

too early to say Sammy is injury prone.

one thing is certain, Sammy is a stud and EJ a dud.

Sammy seems envious of the attention other players are getting. He has all of the ability and no reliability.

I remember questioning his smarts last year when he turned a sure touchdown into a long pass because he was watching himself on the Jumbotron.

He may want to take a good look at himself now. I see a soft player that thinks he is the best out there. I like his confidence but he is soft and I'm sure a coach like Parcels would let him know. Sammy is becoming the anti-beast mode.

Edited by VADC Bills

But he had to reach waaaayyyyy down by the ground! Even as a professional athlete who (presumably) trains daily that has to be tough.

Except that Watkins injured his ankle before he made the catch , he hurt it making a cut in the EZ. It's clear to see, watch the play.

Seriously?

Do you not see his ankle completely roll over?

Yes. It's obvious where he injured it. (I looked again and still didn't see the ankle roll over. It's obvious that it gives though.). What I'm saying is that he had already slowed way down and that planting his foot at that speed should not have resulted in injury. He didn't have great body position at that point (his fault) and the pass was down and behind (not his fault), but he was at a slow jog by then. No way should even a sharp cut at that speed result in injury. It's concerning in both how it happened and that it's yet another soft tissue injury. Speedsters who have a lot of soft tissue injuries tend to keep having soft tissue injuries - and they usually don't stick around all that long. Edited by BarleyNY

How do players, such as Sammy and Goodwin, get to the NFL? How did they survive college? Is it really just terrible luck or are they simply unfit to withstand the rigors of the NFL? It is so frustrating for us fans. I cannot image how it must feel to the Pegulas who are spending out so much money on these guys or the coaches who have their livelihoods on the line.

this wasnt a rigors of the nfl situation....

he rolled an ankle. it happens to guys, often. its just poor timing coming off another (relatively minor) injury, and having made comments that had everyone looking at him (and so many fans upset)

Take Manuel's inaccuracy out of the equation from both seasons and you're down to a calf injury trying to keep his feet in the end zone after making another spectacular catch. But that's just my opinion..

:lol:

Sammy W - terrible luck , he'll be fine.

Goodwin- track guy trying to play in the NFL. Not cut out for it physically, and by some accounts not devoted to his NFL job- using it to finance his track dreams.

Yes. It's obvious where he injured it. (I looked again and still didn't see the ankle roll over. It's obvious that it gives though.). What I'm saying is that he had already slowed way down and that planting his foot at that speed should not have resulted in injury. He didn't have great body position at that point (his fault) and the pass was down and behind (not his fault), but he was at a slow jog by then. No way should even a sharp cut at that speed result in injury. It's concerning in both how it happened and that it's yet another soft tissue injury. Speedsters who have a lot of soft tissue injuries tend to keep having soft tissue injuries - and they usually don't stick around all that long.

That kind of ankle roll happens, A LOT. I've seen it. Even at that slow of speed. The turf doesn't grip as much as its suppose to or it grips more than it's suppose to. Have seen it a lot in basketball games, a slow jog, player rolls ankle. It's happening at a bad time because Sammy if coming off another injury, opposite leg.

with the DB angling in to Watkins from the outside, and the LB angling out to Watkins from the inside, Manuel threw to the safest spot where Watkins could receive the ball with little effort to adjust. If Watkins doesn't slip, he makes an easy two step adjustment to the ball and catches it chest high.

with the DB angling in to Watkins from the outside, and the LB angling out to Watkins from the inside, Manuel threw to the safest spot where Watkins could receive the ball with little effort to adjust. If Watkins doesn't slip, he makes an easy two step adjustment to the ball and catches it chest high.

yup, whether it was equipment, field, or body that caused the hiccup.... the throw was a good, safe location that was relatively easy to adjust to. ej had plenty of bad throws yesterday, but this one was fine.

The NFL is a different world. I've heard rookies say things like "Safeties look like linebackers, but they're so fast!" The NFL used to be played by big, tough men; now it's played by physical freaks. So not only are the players bigger and faster, the windows are smaller (less time to prepare for hits, etc.), there is more practice time and the season is longer. Even with non/light-contact injuries there can be issues with players being asked to play heavier, but leaner and faster. These guys really push their bodies and sometimes they go past their limits. That's what worries me about any player with a lot of soft tissue problems - muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. - because they tend to keep happening. Watkins is certainly fitting that pattern thus far.

I'm not a big fan of Manuel, but that pass was fine. Moreover, it wasn't close to the white line,and he hurt his ankle long before the ball got there and not because of the throw.

You missed my point, Dave. Sammy's calf injury happened on the Tyrod throw to the edge of the end zone vs. G-Men. Yesterday's ankle, last years ribs and leg are all on Manuel's inaccuracy combined with Sammy willing to sell out for every ball thrown somewhere near the field of play.

I've always defended him against accusations that he is injury prone, but I'm starting to worry. It's not even the number of injuries; it's the variety of them: ankle, calf, hip, glute, ribs.

Exactly. It was a perfectly fine, normal throw.

FAR from perfect, it was typically terrible. Sammy was sliding open and EJ's best effort was to throw it low and away, causing the injury. It was NOT the only place he could thrown it to be caught -it was the worst place to throw it and Still be caught.