What is happening on Defense?

Mikie2times

I've heard all sorts of rationalization for the regression but at what point do you say, ya...It's not as good as last years team.

The defense is playing 10th-15th rated football right now, no better, no worse. The 2013 squad rated 4th in Footballoutsiders.com DVOA, 2014 squad rated #2, the 2015 squad rates 10th, and will surely be falling to the 15 range after this game. I'm having a hard time with our defense regressing at the hands of a HC whose supposed to the best defensive mind in the business. It's hard for me to reconcile what that says about his coaching abilities?

The path to the playoffs was with the defense being elite. We have 100's of millions tied up into the DL with a couple of those guys likely approaching decline based on age vs the incline. This really looked to be our window defensively to be special and it's just not happening. Players aren't lining up right, they're struggling to communicate, the deep seams are wide open, we haven't solved for the short passing game, we have no game plan for above average TE's, and our pressure is marginal. Now we might have lost K. Williams?

How can't this reflect very poorly on Rex? It's his specialty and a regression from elite to average is enough to keep us out of the playoffs.

Edited by KzooMike

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard all sorts of rationalization for the regression but at what point do you say, ya...It's not as good as last years team.

The defense is playing 10th-15th rated football right now, no better, no worse. The 2013 squad rated 4th in Footballoutsiders.com DVOA, 2014 squad rated #2, the 2015 squad rates 10th, and will surely be falling to the 15 range after this game. I'm having a hard time with our defense regressing at the hands of a HC whose supposed to the best defensive mind in the business. It's hard for me to reconcile what that says about his coaching abilities?

The path to the playoffs was with the defense being elite. We have 100's of millions tied up into the DL with a couple of those guys likely approaching decline based on age vs the incline. This really looked to be our window defensively to be special and it's just not happening. Players aren't lining up right, they're struggling to communicate, the deep seams are wide open, we haven't solved for the short passing game, we have no game plan for above average TE's, and our pressure is marginal. Now we might have lost K. Williams?

How can't this reflect very poorly on Rex? It's his specialty and a regression from elite to average is enough to keep us out of the playoffs.

Not enough to win consistently against good teams.

Doug Marrone Jim Schwartz > Rex Ryan

I am puzzled by the defense. We are actually better talentwise in all areas, including, especially, in the secondary. The Run D seems to be pretty good. I thought getting picked apart by short passes was a NE thing only, but the Bungles basically did it today.

Still think it comes back to the scheme. Our DBs are doing their job, but up front it's a mess.

Doug Marrone > Rex Ryan

I wouldn't say that. More like Schwartz > Rex. Schwatrz has been a big defensive name in theis league for a long time lest we forget. I think every fan was sad to see him go. And I wish we still had him!

Our scheme simply doesn't fit our players. We should be letting our front 4 loose. Cover with the back end and cover those short passes better. Instead Rex's scheme asks them to tie up blockers and rely more on blitzs.

Edited by peterpan

I mean, didn't Pettine come in here with the Rex defense and do amazing with pretty much the same personnel?

Rex's defense is very complex, and TBH at times I feel we're better off just playing basic football instead of sending Kyle Williams into coverage on running backs like we did in the Pats game.

I honestly don't know what's going on. I want to congratulate the Bengals pass protection but then I realize they played as well as every other O-line we faced.

I'm going to be following this thread closely. I want to hear from someone knowledgeable what they think is really going on and how it can be fixed.

Seems to be a lot of confusion when Cinci came out in different formations. Seems like no edge rush at all. And don't blame on quick throws as Dalton was back there a long time

on some key throws.

There were numerous times where we were totally mixed up on assignments presnap. Somethings not clicking on the mental side with the unit.

They need to go back to Wide 9. The priority of stopping the run seems a bit anachronistic in today's NFL. They're getting shredded by pass-first offenses.

Jerry Hughes is better than he's looking now. He's partly responsible for his own extreme lack of production, but I can't help but conclude that he's being seriously misused.

What's so surprising is that the front 7 seem confused on almost every third down. They never seem to be ready when the ball is snapped.

that drives me !@#$ing nuts. We look clueless and dumb on defense. Bullies, yeah right.

Edited by Fixxxer

the offense has trouble getting first downs defense is on the field the whole time...wears them out

you have to help the defense with your offense but our o line cant move good d lines....bengals are good both sides of the ball

just get to 5-3 at the break

Edited by CardinalScotts

Jerry Hughes is better than he's looking now. He's partly responsible for his own extreme lack of production, but I can't help but conclude that he's being seriously misused.

I'm telling you, to my untrained eye, it's the rush angles. Last year they were pinching the pocket on every passing play (while pickling peppers). This year they seem to be rushing straighter upfield, leaving the pocket intact. It seems to me that they're doing it to better account for the rushing lanes but they're not collapsing the pocket at all. Ever. It's asinine.