Source: EJ Manuel to start Sunday for Tyrod Taylor

YoloinOhio

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he wasn't. See GG's post above about the actual rule. Technically, it wasn't a horse collar. Functionally, it was one. There is a strong logical argument for it not being called, but I think they made the right call given that the defender rolled up his legs from behind. It was more an "unnecessary roughness" than a horse collar. It leads to the same result in my book: a 15-yard penalty.

The rule really needs to be rewritten, because the purpose is to avoid a player being "bent backwards" by a defender. The comments to the rule do clarify it somewhat in that all that needs to happen is for the player's knees to buckle as a result of the play, even if he doesn't go to the ground.

The rule really needs to be rewritten, because the purpose is to avoid a player being "bent backwards" by a defender. The comments to the rule do clarify it somewhat in that all that needs to happen is for the player's knees to buckle as a result of the play, even if he doesn't go to the ground.

totally agree.

Hmmm?? Might be time to see if Whaley's gamble (Trading Cassel) has paid off. Hoping the signing is precautionary and Tyrod is fine for Sunday.

I'm not sure how much a gamble that was. While Cassel was chosen to be the primary backup, EJ looked just as good or better than MC in preseason.

I guess the gamble is this: what happens if EJ gets hurt while TT is hurt? There's no one else to turn to - no legit options anyway.

I'm not sure how much a gamble that was. While Cassel was chosen to be the primary backup, EJ looked just as good or better than MC in preseason.

I guess the gamble is this: what happens if EJ gets hurt while TT is hurt? There's no one else to turn to - no legit options anyway.

How many teams carry 3 legit NFL QBs? (Yes, I'm considering TT, EJ, and MC, legit)

If this is true and EJ does start, what happens if EJ leads the Bills and beat the undefeated Bengals? Controversy?

As early as it is to rule out TT, the prospect of him being possibly out for multiple games leads me to think he will be out at least this one. Just my opinion. As for the second part, who knows.

How many teams carry 3 legit NFL QBs? (Yes, I'm considering TT, EJ, and MC, legit)

Very few. But right now I'm wondering if we should have been one of them. But I can't blame DW for trading MC under the circumstances that existed at the time.

And to QTR83's question... If EJ does well in the Cincy game and leads the Bills to victory, is there a QB controversy? I don't think Rex and his staff would see it that way. I think they made their choice and have confidence in TT, and one good game by EJ wouldn't change their minds.

But what if TT is hurt for a while and EJ keeps winning?

It would be a good problem to have.

Fair enough, but what GG posted isn't an interpretation of the rule; it is the rule.

Yes it is the rule, and as always with NFL rules, it is in the interpretation. I don't know why people think that the only part of the rule that is applied is:

grab the inside collar of the back
and ignore this:
or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey pads or jersey, and pull the runner toward the ground

The operative part of the penalty is grab ... and pull the runner toward the ground.

There have been other non-calls for grabbing a jersey and pulling defenders to the ground, because the referees have interpreted the rule as any grabbing of the jersey above the numbers and where the player's knee buckles, because there's a specific proviso for that:

Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground.

So in the pure application of the rule, that was a clear horse collar.

Guys,

EJ CAN and HAS shown he can play in this league. I for one do not like TT being out but i feel a lot better about our situation than some of the other teams around the NFL.

I think all of us here want EJ to play well and the Bills to win. It helps the team now and in the future!!

I could care less who plays QB as long as the Bills win. I am not an EJ or TT guy. Both of them have good qualities and both have some short comings. Neither of them are Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Glad EJ gets the week to get ready and let's hope Roman can draw up some stuff that plays to his strengths.

I would love to see a big day of EJ to Wood. I know EJ never had these weapons around him when he played his first season or even really the beginning of last year.

All I can say is THANK GOD the Bills already dumped Cassel so EJ gets the start if necessary. I like Tyrod over EJ, but I like slow death over Cassel, ok maybe I like them the same as those are the same things. Cassel is a check-down gutless joke. I can't wait for him to start AND FAIL in Dallas so all the carping by national media about the "risk" of trading him away vanishes once and for all. EJ has good an bad moments, while Cassel's last good moment is from before EJ entered the NFL.