NFL TV Announce Crews....why so bad?

Well we got Wilcots again this week. No further comment needed. Got me thinking, I'm really surprised by the sharp drop off in quality from the top announce teams.

Collingsworth is clearly the best, maybe best ever.

Gruden is OK in spurts, when he's not trying to sound smart.

Aikman and buck have some presence, like the old CBS team of Madden and summerall (just not as good)

Johnson has gotten acceptable after he's learned to slow his high pitched voice down.

Gannon is OK too, comparable to Johnson.

After that thats pretty much it. The guy with Tasker last week was terrible. And last season we had an ex-raven for vikes game (forgot his name), probably worst ever. I don't know why they can't do better than most of the people on this forum. Is it really that hard? Can't they get some training ?

Edited by JTSP

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concussion syndrome?

Collingsworth is a Bills naysayer. Don't expect him to gush over the Bills

when games get ugly / lopsided / boring thay have to find filler material and that makes it worse.

John Madden on there's a squirrel on the field, look he's got a snickers wrapper too.

Well we got Wilcox again this week. No further comment needed. Got me thinking, I'm really surprised by the sharp drop off in quality from the top announce teams.

Collingsworth is clearly the best, maybe best ever.

Gruden is OK in spurts, when he's not trying to sound smart.

Aikman and buck have some presence, like the old CBS team of Madden and summerall (just not as good)

Johnson has gotten acceptable after he's learned to slow his high pitched voice down.

Gannon is OK too, comparable to Johnson.

After that thats pretty much it. The guy with burlein last week was terrible. And last season we had an ex-raven for vikes game (forgot his name), probably worst ever. I don't know why they can't do better than most of the people on this forum. Is it really that hard? Can't they get some training ?

Is it possible that as your football I.Q. goes up, your tolerance of misinformation and mediocrity go down?

Maybe the TV crews aren't getting worse. Maybe you're just becoming more of a critical connoisseur.

Is it possible that as your football I.Q. goes up, your tolerance of misinformation and mediocrity go down?

Maybe the TV crews aren't getting worse. Maybe you're just becoming more of a critical connoisseur.

probably an element of that, i have greater appetite for some real insight from them. But correspondingly in the information age shouldnt they be getting better too?

No announcers. Just ambient stadium noise. Enhance the graphics a bit with player info. ie tackler, receiver runner and so on. Most of the announcers are intolerable to me. They just talk so as not to have dead air.

Edited by Dante

The top announcer / analyst teams may not be at the level of some previous editions. Not surprising since we are talking about some legends in the field such as Dick Enberg, Summerall, Marv Albert et al. The Bills rarely get the top announce teams anymore though, as they haven't been a winner in so long. That means Sunday nights are rare, ( no Michaels/ Collinsworth). They are probably tops in the field right now. I also do not equate gushing over the Bills with quality analysis. Collinsworth is great because he has strong insight and is not afraid to have an opinion. There are some strong announcers out there , Ian Eagle, Kenny Albert are generally excellent. Until the Bills get a better track record ( or happen to be facing a big market team) their games will be assigned to the third teamers.

No announcers. Just ambient stadium noise. Enhance the graphics a bit with player info. ie tackler, receiver runner and so on. Most of the announcers are intolerable to me. They just talk so as not to have dead air.

They tried that a number of years ago. I liked it.

The top announcer / analyst teams may not be at the level of some previous editions. Not surprising since we are talking about some legends in the field such as Dick Enberg, Summerall, Marv Albert et al. The Bills rarely get the top announce teams anymore though, as they haven't been a winner in so long. That means Sunday nights are rare, ( no Michaels/ Collinsworth). They are probably tops in the field right now. I also do not equate gushing over the Bills with quality analysis. Collinsworth is great because he has strong insight and is not afraid to have an opinion. There are some strong announcers out there , Ian Eagle, Kenny Albert are generally excellent. Until the Bills get a better track record ( or happen to be facing a big market team) their games will be assigned to the third teamers.

i agree about the bills earning the right ,and the small market aspect doesnt apply . obviously the packers are the case in point. until the bills get "relevant" the latest term the spindoctors like to use , sunday nights etc, wont happen.

Their job description pretty much entails reading scripts and toeing the company line. The ones you see every year like Tasker are good at doing what they're told. That's why they never call out refs for making bad calls, they only make "tough calls", they never admit when they were wrong, and many times ignore what's going on on the field in favor of human interest stories.

My recommendation is to watch games on mute. I guarantee you that post-game opinions differ between those that watched with the sound on and those that watched it with the sound off.

One announcer; Vin Scully style. You describe what is happening without endless superlatives or the need to 'hype' anything. When there's nothing to say, you STFU.

And yes, Gruden is by far the worst.

I still love tasker. I know he's not the greatest analyst but hard not to like his bills biased

Ya think? On Sunday he mistook Manny Lawson from Mario Williams and he should know better.

I never hear his Bills bias - if anything, he leans the other way. Now Criqui on the other hand, he always seemed to enjoy it when the Bills did well.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I think Collinsworth's analysis of replays is what stands him out over and above his peers. He just sees things so well that when 2 seconds later the replay appears he already knows what he is going to tell you to look at that was not immediately obvious on a first viewing of the play. That is a real skill. Aikman by contrast watches the replay the same way a fan does.... trying to work out what just happened, often in fact he is behind me in terms of working out where a protection broke down or a hold was committed.

Gruden is terrible but I rarely watch MNF I am usually tucked up in bed - it is 1.30am on a Tuesday over here, sometimes I watch it back after depending on who the teams are.

I don't mind Willcots actually.... I can't stand the play by play guy he is always paired with though... is it Spiro? Dreadful - miscalls things 6 or 7 times a game. I actually like Mike Mayock... when he was doing the Thursday games before CBS took over I thought he was good. Again he sees things that others miss.